Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pregnant - Anxious - Zoloft?  (Read 409 times)

Offline MissMurphy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pregnant - Anxious - Zoloft?
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »
Hi all,

I've suffered with anxiety in the past and zoloft sleays worked very well for me, I am now 22 weeks pregnant, and been on 100mg for a week (been titrating up for almost 5 weeks) and of course today my anxiety has started to creep back up. Is this normal and should I just give it more time, or do you think zoloft has stopped working for me? Or is it normal in pregnancy for anxiety to be stronger?? I don't really want to go much higher in my dosage because of the pregnancy, but I don't want to be in a black hole for my kids either....
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pregnant - Anxious - Zoloft?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
I don't think it has just suddenly stopped working for you.  Sometimes it takes a bit to adjust to the increase. Yes I think you are correct you need to give it tome. Quite possibly the pregnancy is affecting the adjustment period a little.  Hang in there. You've only bt on it a short time. Most say it actually takes months to get the full effect of the medication. You may even need more than 100mg eventually.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
been on 100mg for a week (been titrating up for almost 5 weeks) and of course today my anxiety has started to creep back up. Is this normal and should I just give it more time,

You will need to give it more time. Antidepressants work by promoting the growth of new brain cells and this takes some weeks, typically 3-12 weeks from when you begin taking a therapeutic dose which for Zoloft is usually at least 50mg.

I don't really want to go much higher in my dosage because of the pregnancy,

True, but taking less than is needed is not a good thing either. There are very real risks to the baby from uncontrolled maternal anxiety (and depression) too, both during gestation and later in life.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MissMurphy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
The frustrating part is that when I first up my dose, I feel back to normal for a week, I guess they call it the honeymoon period, but then the anxiety creeps back in. Does that mean it will eventually work again. I hate feeling this way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Yes, I believe if you just stay with it it will work for you. From what I read out here people give up on the medication before it has time to work. Hang in there.
Joe

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
I feel back to normal for a week, I guess they call it the honeymoon period, but then the anxiety creeps back in. Does that mean it will eventually work again.

I suspect the good week has more to do with the placebo effect and/or hormonal fluctuations than the med. If Zoloft worked before then it is likely to again, although there is some evidence that the more often antidepressants are stopped and restarted the more likely they are to poop-out. This applies to all antidepressants, not just the one/s taken before. Those returning to the same med may also need a higher dose to achieve previous levels of control.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
I'm pregnant and on zoloft too! I'm on 50 mg and it will be 3 weeks tomorrow that I've been on 50 mg and I had to start at 12.5 mg
I've noticed that being pregnant and constant hormone fluncuations really do increase anxiety and mess with my moods.... I still get mild anxiety but I can def. manage it better now bring back on meds
Maybe give the zoloft a little more time at that dose and see how u feel :)
You can pm me anytime! It's nice to know there is another pregnant woman going through the same thing
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissMurphy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:48:36 AM »
Well I just thought I'd check in and let you know that 6 weeks in (2nd week on 100mg) and I feel fine for most of the day, I get a tiny bit of anxiety but nothing that makes me feel out of control or stop me from daily life, I can play with my son and be 'normal'... I think it will get better from here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:59 AM »
Hi - That really is good news. Not only for you but it's good for people just starting out with Sertraline to hear that - like me. I'm glad you're doing well. I think the benefits of this medication will get better and better for you. From what I've read it can take months to get the true full effects of the medicine. Thanks for this encouraging post.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissMurphy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »
Yes thats what I thought, there are always so many negative comments but not a lot of good result posts. Dont get me wrong I still get glimpses of the anxiety but that deep adrenalin pumping sensation has really dulled, and I dont feel daily dread like I was. Even if it stays like this I'll be happy. I just needed to be able to function, care for my family and not feel like doomsday was right around the corner.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
Miss Murphy, that is exactly how I feel. I have been on 125 mg for a month or two and even though I still get some anxiety, it is nowhere near what I used to get. Sometimes my heart will pound but I don't feel out of control. It's exactly how you described when you said that the adrenalin pumping sensation is dulled. I'm not 100% perfect but I can function and enjoy my son and that is something I never thought I'd get back.

I'm so happy to hear that it is working for you, especially since you are pregnant. You did the right thing to go on the medication and get your anxiety under control while pregnant. Best of luck! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissMurphy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
Oh hugs bababel!! So glad its working for both of us! I tell my husband that it 'helps me deal'... I am glad I can get on with lufe. Hopefully it lasts!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
Yes, it helps me deal too! My husband has noticed such a huge difference in me. I used to pace around the house thinking I was going to throw up or pass out for hours on end. I don't do that at all anymore. It's really a life-saver as I was such a bad mom before I went on the sertraline. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissMurphy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 07:35:40 AM »
So when you get the anxious feelings, does it just feel like the physical chesty feeling? I have been getting the negative thoughts every now and then, I tell myself I'm the worst person in the world because of the past mistakes I've made... And then other days I'm fine and don't even think about it and wonder why I was so worried on my bad days.

Does zoloft ever even you out totally or do you continue to have bad days? I was on zoloft years ago before having kids and I was younger, so I think my chemistry was very different. I only needed 25mg to feel perfectly fine, and now I'm 100mg and still having really bad days (not sure if pregnancy is making things worse too though).
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Yes, my anxiety is almost all located in my chest. My heart pounds, I feel "skipped beats" and my chest feels heavy, like it is being crushed. The sertraline hasn't taken my anxiety away 100% by any means. I've been having a couple of bad days over the past week, but even when my anxiety is really "bad" nowadays, I can still function.

I know that some people find their anxiety goes away completely while on an SSRI, but I haven't had that experience. It just seems to keep it under control enough for me to get on with my day. Maybe a slightly higher dose would help, I'm not sure. Maybe I will try it eventually.

Your pregnancy can definitely play havoc with your anxiety. I was lucky in that my anxiety almost went away when I was pregnant, only to come back with a vengeance two years postpartum.

Bad days are normal, even for those of us on medication. Anxiety is so hard, I know, but you will get through this!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: