Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: St. Johns Wort  (Read 177 times)

Offline braves0042

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
St. Johns Wort
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »
I have a bottle of this stuff from natures bounty, and i am wondering if anyone has used it before and has had success with it in treating anxiety/depression?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: St. Johns Wort
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:06:12 AM »
To be honest it depends on who is using it. What works for one may not work for another. I tried it and it did nothing for me at all. Others use it and like it. One of those you have to try and see how it goes for you. It won't harm you in any way at all. Is safe to use. No side effects or anything like that at all.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline braves0042

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
I think I will give it a try. When you were using it did it say you have to stay away from certain foods and drinks? That's pretty much the only reason I have not tried it yet since I'm not sure what would be safe to eat and drink on it
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
Hi Chuck...

Yes, St. John's Wort has an extensive list, over 700 medications, that it can interact with in a negative way.  This list is so long, that countries such as France have outlawed this herbal remedy.  Other countries are taking steps to educate the public about these interacts, and to use St. John's Wort with caution.  You can find drug interaction search engines on the Net, and also check with your pharmacist/chemist, as they are the experts in this area.

St. John's Wort has been shown to be effective for some individuals with mild to moderate forms of anxiety, but has not been proven to work well with more severe forms of anxiety disorder such as panic disorder/panic attacks.

As Cuch mentioned to you, it can work for some people, and others experience no benefit at all.  Still, it might be worth a try, just watch out of those interactions.

The very best to you, Chuck!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline braves0042

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »
Thank you for the information Chuck. I am not on any medication right now except for taking a multi vitamin in the morning. I will watch out for the interactions though when i start taking it. Just have to see what foods to stay away from while I am on it. I have never really had full blown panic disorder but i have pretty bad anxiety/depression so hopefully this helps to ease that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:54 AM »
St John's Wort definitely helps me! I can't go without it. When my mom was feeling a bit down once she took some of mine and was impressed on how effective it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline new_mommy13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »
I have tried it postpartum and it was helpful! Another good one to try is supplementing with fish oil. Apparently they really help to regulate the mood and if you "google" this you will find that there have been studies that have proven that fish oil can be just as effective as an antidepressant. I have taken them as well postpartum and found that they helped my mood quite a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: