Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart racing / panic for hours. Is this normal? 120BPM  (Read 220 times)

Offline EnglishT

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Heart racing / panic for hours. Is this normal? 120BPM
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
I've had really bad anxiety since getting out of surgery on Wednesday and my heart rate has been constantly over 100
 They did an ecg at the hospital and said it was fine apart from it being fast due to anxiety.

Now I'm back home and I've been having a racing heart all day about 120BPM and I can't do anything to get rid of it.

I just want some reassurance really has anyone else had a racing heart all day long before ?

Cheers
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart racing / panic for hours. Is this normal? 120BPM
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
the more you focus on it, the higher it will go. I've had mine go as high as 160 during anxiety attacks, and I agree it's scary. You've had an ECG though, and they're convinced everything is fine.  You just need to put it out of your mind and let your body and heart do what they need to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »
I have had it, yes. Oddly, it doesn't bother me because years back my physician told me (after a full Physical, ECG, etc) that it's anxiety.

When it happens, I do tend to have a lot of energy, but I make myself lie down and put on something funny on television.

I also do diaphragmatic breathing- lay down, put one hand on your tummy. Breathe in through your nose feeling your tummy rise.

Hold for a few seconds, then let exhale out your mouth.

Also, another thing that can help regulate breathing, and not just from hyperventilating, but palpitations, is breathing into a brown paper bag.

Like I said, the palpitations don't bother me, but I can feel for you and at times I want to stop mine so I do either the breathing technique or reach for my brown bag (lunch bag).

And yes, racing heart is definitely normal with folks like us... :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline EnglishT

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance guys I really appreciate it.

I think what worries me the most is the length of time I've had it. Yesterday it was racing all day and today it's racing as well.

I'm worried that it's putting a lot of stress on my heart and is going great to cause a problem.

Really worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »
Hard as it is, try not to worry. Remember, there are people who run 26 miles in marathons, hearts pumping like crazy. Think of it as "exercise" for your heart muscle.

I know it's easier said than done, but, remember: the doctor told you that it's anxiety. Believe his words. Because that's what it is.

I have had palpitations for days....where I can hear it in my ears. But because I know what it is, it doesn't bother me.

Being that it is bothersome for you, what can you do to calm it? Is there any way that you can stop focusing on it? (easier said, I know) ...but what about reading? Or a nice warm bath? Warm shower?

Are you breathing fast? If so, try to breath slow, through the nose...hold...and out the mouth. You will be ok. you ARE ok. I promise you that. And I sympathize with you.

I try to remember when  I get sensations that I don't like....that it is anxiety and it's the adrenals in overdrive, thinking there is danger when there is not. I try to read, watch t.v., soak in the tub or take a hot shower....

if you have one of those massage mats that you can lay on? those are fantastic. Hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Online terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
just wanted to check in and see how you were doing today?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: