Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: You're in good company  (Read 99 times)

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You're in good company
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »
An excellent article about creativity, also talks about how it is linked to mental illness such as depression and, of course, anxiety:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/06/secrets-of-the-creative-brain/372299/

I can relate with so much of this article. I was just thinking about how creativity and mental illness tend to be linked. In my case it's usually not depression but anxiety; my brain makes connections to things that aren't real, but it treats them as though they are. I see potential dangers and risks everywhere, even just subconsciously; I won't even know that I'm worried about something until I exhibit extreme physical symptoms of anxiety, and then I dive into my brain to see where it is coming from and often find something ludicrous there. Doesn't matter how unlikely it is; it is real to my brain.

So don't feel like you're defective if you suffer from anxiety; some of the greatest creative minds ever have had the same problem. It's not that your brain isn't working properly; it's that it's working on overdrive. Trying to find a healthy balance is the key I think.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: You're in good company
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:02:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I love Vonnegut.  I am a novelist myself dealing with GAD, and to a lesser extent bipolar.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: