Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Going on a flight in 4 days - Valium didn't work!!  (Read 246 times)

Offline Betsy21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Going on a flight in 4 days - Valium didn't work!!
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
I am going on a 12 hour flight in 4 days time and I am scared as hell as I have agoraphobia and HATE hate hate being trapped, so I went to the doctor who gave me 14 tablets of diazepam (2mg each)

She told me to do a test in the house before the flight so tonight was my test. I took one 2mg tablet and immediately had a panic attack after swallowing the pill (hate taking medication and get panicky that i'll have a bad reaction) so I thought 'well at least now im panicking it will mimic me on a flight so I can see if it really calms me' . It didn't calm me down at all, in fact I felt worse! I just felt so panicky, racing thoughts, shivering etc. So I waited 2 hours and then took another 2mg and that hasnt done anything either :( it is now 3 hours after taking that pill and I literally feel no different! I don't even feel drowsy, I feel like I can't sleep and just don't feel relaxed.

I'm sooooooooo scared now!!! I cannot get on this flight without something that calms me down  :traurig001: :traurig001:

Has this happened to anybody else?? I dont know what to do!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Going on a flight in 4 days - Valium didn't work!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:28:08 AM »
Hi Betsy  :action-smiley-065:

No worries... everything is o.k.   :yes:

Valium - which I have taken it for over 20 years, and all the other types of Benzodiazepines, so I have first hand experience with many of these medications.  Valium is a very safe and effective medication. :yes:

Valium = 2 mg - is a very low dose for me, in fact 5 mg is still a little too low - 10 mg was the dosage that worked for me. 

Just a good thing to keep in mind Valium is Long Lasting Diazepam - and it will take up to 30-60 minutes to really feel the effects. 

(Compared to others such as Xanax and Lorazepam - when I have used it - will kick in much more quickly about Xanax =12-15 Minutes - Lorazepam = 30 minutes - Valium - 30-40 minutes for me.)

My wife also has tried it, she hates medication of any kind, when she has bad back pain or menopause symptoms that are really bad - causing severe anxiety - she will 10 mg, but  she will do fine on 5 mg if her anxiety is not too bad.

Your doctor is being very professional by having use a very small dose to see what the magic dose will be for you. 

Now - is the easy part, if 4 mg. did not work, you will need to experiment maybe 3 tabs x 2 mg = 6 mg...  To be on the safe side, no more than 10 mg.  - again, speak with your doctor in the morning to get your Doctor's approval on your experience with the dosage of Valium.

Again, we are all different - but you will know if it is working in 30-45 minutes, it will last anywhere from 6-10 hours, depending on the dose, from my first hand experience.  Which is great for if you are taking a long flight  :happy0151:

Don't be afraid    - you are doing a great job here :grinning-smiley-003:

Just to put at a little at ease, and in perspective = Here is the Official Information regarding Valium (Diazepam) :

Management of Anxiety Disorders and Relief of Symptoms of Anxiety.   
Depending upon severity of symptoms—2 mg to 10 mg, 2 to 4 times daily

That would be a maximum dose of 40 mg per day for some people.

Does Valium work - Sure Does!  It just depends on the dosage.

So you have taken 2 - 2mg = 4 mg...  Which is actually good progress :grinning-smiley-003:, it is very likely that you will respond to higher dose of 10 mg.  Again, if you feel uncomfortable about taking more... you can wait until tomorrow and speak with your Dr. and let them know that 4 mg did nothing for you...  :happy0151:

How many days until your flight?

Once, you find the "right dosage" - call your doctor, so she can prescribe enough of it, so you don't run out.

Once you get the right dosage, you feel 100% - of course, it will also cause some drowsiness... :yawn:

Keep us updated on your progress  :action-smiley-065:

Feel free to send me a PM if you need any additional information.

And Yes, Everything will workout fine !   :nature-smiley-016:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Journey2Calm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Going on a flight in 4 days - Valium didn't work!!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
Betsy- did you take the flight?  How was it?
Bookmark and Share