Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD -trying to turn to Agoraphobia.....  (Read 102 times)

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
GAD -trying to turn to Agoraphobia.....
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:42 AM »
I've been dealing with GAD for a long time. It started getting better years back when I went on Fluoxetine. Did amazing for years, could go places, shop, etc.

In the last 2 years, things have changed.

I seem to have developed a new "anxiety" trigger. It's the heat of summer. I'm in NY so we have 4 seasons. I love them all.

2 years ago, quite a few times when at a park, (summer day heat), I got that "feeling" that I had to get OUT and get out now.

I felt out of it, everything looked small, etc. Got into my truck and turned the a/c on and was fine.

Last summer, I did fine. This summer, not so much. I've been forcing myself to go to the beach....but I feel unsteady....

It's amazing to me how certain "triggers" disappear and new ones take their place. FWIW, I'm still on Fluoxetine.

Lately, as a result, I find myself slowly not wanting to be outside in the summer- I fear the heat that triggers the anxiety.

Thanks.

Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD -trying to turn to Agoraphobia.....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:48:42 AM »
You could simply be mixing the heat up with a feeling of anxiety. Take even the coldest winter. If we are anxious we sweat and get all hot. Come a very hot summer we are going to sweat and get all hot as a rule. But if we associate those feelings with anxiety. we will straight away think of anxiety and it will kick in. Case of telling yourself you are feeling as you are because it is summer. Everybody else feels as hot. The summer does this to people. But don't stop going out. That would be a bad move. Even a small amount of time each day is better than nothing at all.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD -trying to turn to Agoraphobia.....
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
I agree with everything you've said here.

And I am making a point of going out every day, no matter how long or short I stay out.

It's a weird sensation to explain, though, and I am trying to learn how to stop associating the heat with the anxiety.

Thanks for your input.  :big smile:
Bookmark and Share