Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New to the forum but worried about symptoms I am having. Anyone have this simil  (Read 1371 times)

Offline rckstr1253

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have a burning like prickly sensation in both arms and shins.   Does anxiety cause that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The more you try to do a checklist inventory of your body, the more symptoms you are going to find to distress you. You have had these sorts of pains all your life, but your brain isn't remembering those right now because you weren't worried about MS before so you wrote them off easily and thought nothing of them. Now every single thing that seems wrong feels like confirmation of your fears. Your doctor is right about how MS works. You have to trust him more than your Googling capabilities.

When I get pain in my arms and hands such as you describe, I find that it is always because I have tension in my chest and shoulders. If you want to be vigilant about checking your body, be vigilant about keeping those muscles relaxed. If they get tense, take a hot bath or get a massage or whatever you find helps you to relax. Look into progressive relaxation and relaxation breathing; those are very helpful.

And yes, all that tingling and pain is caused by your nervous system getting overrun with anxiety. Your brain is overloading your nervous system right now because you are so anxious and tense. Put on some calming music, breathe deeply and slowly and imagine each muscle group being relaxed, starting with your head and working slowly to your feet. You are having an anxiety attack, which can feel like you're going to die but trust me when I say that you aren't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
IDk I mean I didn't think I was tense.  I was also at work so I couldn't put music on or do anything but ring customers up.  A nurse practitioner said I don't seem anxious and said it might be something with my spine, which really scares me as MS is a main culprit to attack the spine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I never think I'm tense until I get the physical symptoms. If it weren't for these physical symptoms then I would not even know I had anxiety at all. Sometimes you can't do music or whatever, but you can usually at least do some simple breathing technique and progressive relaxation of your muscles. Just taking three slow, deep breaths and letting your shoulders drop a bit each time can do a lot of good. I'm no nurse, but you seem pretty anxious to me about this at least. I never knew I had so much tension in my chest and shoulders until a massage therapist worked on me and I could feel it. Afterwards the pain in my hands and arms literally disappeared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I never think I'm tense until I get the physical symptoms. If it weren't for these physical symptoms then I would not even know I had anxiety at all. Sometimes you can't do music or whatever, but you can usually at least do some simple breathing technique and progressive relaxation of your muscles. Just taking three slow, deep breaths and letting your shoulders drop a bit each time can do a lot of good. I'm no nurse, but you seem pretty anxious to me about this at least. I never knew I had so much tension in my chest and shoulders until a massage therapist worked on me and I could feel it. Afterwards the pain in my hands and arms literally disappeared.

It's funny you brought that up, I went to a massage therapist last friday and she couldn't believe how many knots I had in my arms right near the elbows.  The muscles were so tense and hurt and as she worked on them they hurt but after I felt like a million dollars.  She told me she couldn't diagnose anything as she isn't a doctor but she felt like I had signs of thoracic outlet syndrome.  I don't know what to think at this point.  Am I always going to have a sensitivity to cold ac then?
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Man my body burns alll over right now...........is this definitely due to stress or do I have a lesion/s on my spine?  I have pressure on the left upper side of my head.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Take a nice cool shower and try to rest and see how you feel tomorrow.  Deep breaths...
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm going to try but its ahrd to get ms or cancer off my brain as MS and cancer are known to cause the burning sensations I am getting throughout my body.  But I don't think MS would cause all these symptoms at once on me, and within 3 weeks to a month
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Took my amitrypline but still feeling the burning sensations =(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
And cool shower? And deep breaths and water?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Always_Freaking_Out

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dude no one on here knows for sure what's going on, there is not the clinical evidence in your words, but I got to tell you, I have seen so many stories just like yours - and they almost always come down to some kind of weird meaningless thing that will get better with time, probably mixed in with some anxiety which can cause all the symptoms you are having.

RA, Lupus, ALS, MS - nothing what you describe sounds anything like those things!

If it doesn't get better in 3 months go to a Neuro, otherwise do your best to get comfy and ignore it.    Chances are it will go away.

Remember anxiety isn't "just anxiety", there is no "just" about it.   It's a horrible beast that can mimic all of the above, but at the end of the day it's not permanent.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Always_Freaking_Out

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rockstar

You are saying all the classic things an anxiety person says.

Reading your posts I see me of 5 years ago in you like a reflection.

For example "I did this, but the symptom is still there .... therefore I frett more!"

Anxiety symptoms are very unpredictable, you can have suffered something that's at the root of it, get symptoms, get calm, symptoms still exist for a long time, even stay calm, symptoms carry on, then over time gets better, there is not a simple switch.     

I know it's easy to assume "well anxiety - pfft! that would just be too good to be true!" or 'well those other people on this board, those hypocondriacs, yeah they may not have it - those poor people aren't like me though, cuz Im different I actually have some fill-in-the-disease"   

The fact you are jumping between diseases is also a classic anxiety tell tale to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks to everyone on here as talking has made things easier.  I worked 12 hrs today and only had a few instances of burning/itching pain in my arms, but it wasn't bad at all.  I doubt if this was MS it would be bad one day and then be pretty good the next.  I know I took Amitrypline around 12 am before bed but didn't take another till I got home about 12 am today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Right on Rockstar!  Yeah this site is great and full of good people!  Enjoy your Friday night!  I'm watching Rambo! Woohoo!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks you too!  Great movie!  I am watching Married with Children season 6 DVD set.   I still don't know if I should believe the doctor that I don't have MS as it did seem to match my symptoms, but I am sure trying to keep the faith.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: