Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Something is just off. I don't understand.  (Read 559 times)

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Something is just off. I don't understand.
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Every time I sit up in the bed from laying down, my eyes get so tight feeling, like there are rocks or something behind them and like it's hard to move them. Things just don't look right. I feel like I'm confused or in a fog and disoriented. I feel like I have trouble talking and can't keep my eyes open cause of the pressure. I have tried every allergy and tons of antibiotics for this and nothing has worked which is really scaring me. The minute I lay down I feel ok put the pressure is there behind my eyes and I feel anxious cause of how my head and eyes are feeling. This is exactly why I feel like there's something going on with my brain that the ct without contrast missed. I really want an MRI. I just know if I got one it would help me to more to overcome this fear of a brain disease. Then I can work on my anxiety. But I don't know how to get a MRI without insurance or talk to my doctor. I've been trying so hard to just push thru this feeling but it's scary when I feel like I can't talk or get words out right.

Can anyone here relate? This is really worrying me. I'm trying so hard to believe that this is allergies but the thing is no meds have helped me. The symptoms have remained the same for 5 months. I try hard to say that it's anxiety but this pressure and tightness in my eyes is freaky. I swear it is hard for me to move my eyes and I look around feeling like I am confused or like where the hell am I. :(
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Something is just off. I don't understand.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
Sadly, yes... I think know exactly what you are talking about. It seems sometimes that anxiety can cause just about every symptom imaginable. Sometimes it feels like my eyes are going to burst from pressure, like they are going to pop out of my head. My vision also gets a bit blurry, especially when I try to read or focus up close on something (even trying to focus can actually hurt my eyes). I really think this is caused by eye strain due to anxiety. Try massaging your sinuses, rubbing under your eyes and around your temples. Sometimes that helps me a bit. After that, the best thing is to try not to think about it (I know, much harder to do than to say) and it will eventually let up (at least that has been my experience). I hope this advice helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:22 PM »
Thanks. It does.  I hate the feeling it's just so scary. ;(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »
That's the worst part about anxiety; the fear it causes. People poo-poo the condition because it's not life threatening. But living with fear is not exactly a picnic, either. It's like living as a slave. It's a totally unacceptable condition of living.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:27:13 AM »
I agree. The thing is, if I could just stop caring about my body and what it feels and say to hell with it it would make it so much easier. But we all know it's easier said than done. I'm trying so hard to not let it keep doing me like this.
Bookmark and Share

Online Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
I had to comment on this post because both you, Kmj, and Toasted Butter, seem to be going through (or have gone through) what I'm also dealing with. I was just reading one of Toasted Butter's posts from last month about the off balance feeling, as that's the issue that is bothering me most right now. It's so weird & scary. I can't tell you how many times I've *almost* gone to the ER just because I can't take it anymore. I manage to talk myself out of it, telling myself it's either allergies or anxiety or both, and ride it out. Usually after a few hours I feel ok. But in the back of my mind I worry about it being something serious. If it continues much longer I feel like I have to have it checked out just in case.

BUT the fact that it seems to happen when other allergy symptoms are occurring seems like a pretty obvious answer. Example: the other day I had the windows closed most of the day because the house was cool. As it started to heat up a little towards late afternoon, I open the windows & within a half hour my nose starts running, my mouth, nose & eyes get itchy, and the off balance feeling starts up. I took some allergy meds & a few hours later, I'm fine. The day before that I went outside briefly & in no time all the allergy symptoms start up. Including the off balance feeling, which makes my eyes feel "off" for lack of a better way to describe it. Sometimes it feels like there's pressure behind them & looking up seems to make the off balance feeling worse. I find that when this is happening I have a hard time looking directly at people for very long, if that makes any sense. It's weird.

I've been taking sinus meds in a lose dose throughout the day & it does seem to help with the sinus pressure, but it obviously doesn't stop that off balance feeling from happening. And I just started taking a 24 hour allergy med to see if that helps at all. I hate taking anything, but I'm desperate to find something that works. Ugh. But I do wonder if the off balance feeling is anxiety, maybe brought on by my allergies? There's definitely a connection of some sort.

I hope you figure something out, Kmj. I know it sucks. At least you're not alone in this nightmare!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
I like Toasted Butter   ;D :sign0201:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
I was on Claritin and I thought it had helped cause I wasn't feeling as bad as I do now.  Since I stopped taking it, I have noticed that my head and eyes have felt more off. And I tried a sudafed yesterday and the pressure didn't let up and I don't know why. Do you know ifs it's a med that works fast? I only took one 30mg. Not two at one time.  I have allegra but not started on them yet but I'm going to.

That's how it kind of is for me. My eyes feel like rocks or looking at things are hard. And then it did start watering up. They were itchy some yesterday too. I use cheap allergy drops for my eyes that help a little but not much.  I've been using the steroid nasal spray and it has helped with the nasal congestion. I had been waking up with my left nostril being plugged up and my right one being fine. But the spray has helped that.

I stay in bed a lot. The reason why is cause I will feel the floor bouncing under my feet or my head will feel like it's bouncing and it's so scary. This is what my first symptom was back in feb that actually set off my health anxiety after years of never worrying about my body or anything.  The reason why I thought it was a bt cause of the pressure in my forehead and in my eyes and not being able to focus and especially the unsteady feeling. And it seems to do it more when I turn my head a certain way. It doesn't do it as bad as it used to but it still does it and I'm having hard time now figuring out if it's still allergies or anxiety or both like you said. My ear also plugged up as I set up too.  It's my left one. Eveything is on the left side. Even when I feel the floor moving it feels more on the left side. And sometimes my eyes feel jumpy. I just know it's not fun to have this feeling coming from the head. I'm new to this and have no idea what allergies are like. And I've read how bad they can be. But when there's anxiety next to it, makes it much harder and then there's google which was my worst mistake. So everytime I feel off, my anxiety automatically comes and then I'm thinking the worst but I'm trying hard to not entertain my negative thoughts. I'm really hoping that the allegra helps. If my head and eyes would feel better then I think I would be able to relax more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
I like Toasted Butter   ;D :sign0201:
Aw, shucks... thanks!  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
And it seems to do it more when I turn my head a certain way.

This right here makes me really think it's allergies and inner-ear issues. If the problem was in your brain, then movement of your head should not affect it. But if it's an inner-ear balance thing caused by pressure due to allergies or something, then this is exactly what you would expect to happen. Also the jumpy eyes thing; this is called nystagmus. When I went in to the ENT to have testing done they said that I have a mild form of this, probably caused by inner-ear disequilibrium, most likely in my left ear. Like you, everything is on my left side. In my case I think this is because I had a car accident years ago and now I have scar tissue in my ear on that side. A few years after that I had an infection in my mouth on that side. A few years after that I developed Bell's palsy on that side. Now I get congestion in my ear on that side and it isn't any wonder after all that I have put that side of my head through.

Now there is a sheet of exercises that the ENT gave me that is supposed to help restore balance. They are intended to help your brain and your body strengthen neural pathways and for you to gain more confidence in those pathways. They are really just very simple, very repetitive things like passing a ball from one hand to the other twenty times while sitting, then repeating that under your legs, then standing up and sitting down twenty times, then standing and sitting twenty times with your eyes closed, then passing the ball back and forth twenty times while standing, then tossing the ball from one hand to the other twenty times, then walking back and forth across the room twenty times, and so forth. Really easy, very repetitive stuff. I don't know if it was helpful or not because I eventually found that I got more benefit from just going outside and doing things, but if you're afraid to even do that you might give it a try. I can type in the full list for you if you're interested.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »
I had major ear wax build up in my left ear when this began as well. I went to urgent care when I first starting feeling off and they did nothing for me. They said it was wax but not it. And they had a hard time cleaning all the wax out the first visit. They literally hurt my ear so bad it was shooting pains for several days. They then passed it off as swimmers ear. They saw fluid behind my right ear and did nothing for it. They did not check my sinuses like I asked them to. That's why my sinus infection got worse cause I had to wait and see my doctor 4 weeks after suffering and that's when my anxiety just got wirse and worse. It took me until last month to finally be diagnosed by an ent. But by that time the brain tumor fear has taken over.

I never see anything actual spinning. It's more like a dizzy feeling in my head and feels like someone is bouncing it up and down when i look down.  My eyes don't always feel jumpy. It's only when my head feels like it's bouncing. I can wake up and feel off. Like I can't breathe and feel so stuffy sometimes. And I can feel stuff in my nose like moving or making weird squeaky noises. Hard to explain. It's just so miserable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
You can give me those exercises. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
Thanks. So this also helps when allergies bother our ears?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
Well it won't help with the pain or the congestion in your ears and such, but my ENT doctor said that it can help the feeling of imbalance to feel less and less intrusive, to happen less frequently, and to go away quicker when it does happen. The first thing you will probably notice though is that it will help you to function better even when you do have the feelings of imbalance and such. It doesn't have immediate results, but the more you do it the more it's supposed to help. I did it until I was able to get out more and do other things like going for short hikes and whatnot, which has been even more helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: