Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of brain eating amoeba  (Read 321 times)

Offline teresaatoxxic

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of brain eating amoeba
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
I know it's very rare, but I went swimming in a lake in Ohio Saturday, June 21 and I am not sure if I got water up my nose or not (I did swim underwater), and so far I have done nothing but worry that I will become infected with this amoeba and end up dying from it. I have had a slight frontal headache for the past couple days, which may be caused by anxiety, but I can't help but wonder 'what if I am right this time, what if I have this disease?'. I mean, I don't have a fever, but the headache is making me worry excessively.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of brain eating amoeba
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
I live in Ohio and I haven't heard of anyone getting it so odds are you don't have it either. I don't go swimming myself because I can't swim lol but if I did I wouldn't worry because that is so very rare so try and calm down your scary thoughts and be thankful you got out and went !!

The headache or pressure you are feeling is probably tension or the sinuses . I use some nasal saline spray to help my headaches and sinuses. Try a warm wash cloth also.

take care and I am sure you will be just fine.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
I think there is something about the phrase, "brain eating amoeba," or maybe the concept itself, that causes people with HA to freak out. I see people post about this a lot in this forum, and it's such a rare affliction that it's an incredibly disproportionate concern.

At any rate, I would not worry about it. You can get headaches from so many common everyday sources, including worrying about having a brain eating infection, that it's not worth considering at all. If you can relax and not worry I'm sure the headache will go away.

Have you tried taking an over-the-counter pain killer? Frontal headaches are usually caused by sinuses or tension. Try TulipLover's suggestions, breathe some steam to relax your sinuses, get a neck and head rub if you have someone who can do that for you, take some aspirin or ibuprofen or something, and just generally try to relax. The odds of getting a brain-eating infection from swimming even tepid swamp water is extremely low. There is just no way that you got amoebas in your brain from swimming in lake Ohio.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
^^^ I think it's because the chance of survival is extremely low. Lately I see atleast 2 of these everyother day. I guess when you you have anxiety it feels like reverse lotto odds aka you're 90%sure something that happens 1% of time is happening to you, because why not you?

Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
Simply because the water couldn't have gotten into your brain through any orface (nose or mouth or ears, etc), I'd say it's highly unlikely. I think what you may be experiencing is just the sensation of getting some sea water into your sinus's, or the aftermath of that. At worst, I'd say you have a sinus infection. I know it's really easy to jump to extraordinary conclusions involving things like this, but just remember that this kind of this is so rare it's almost unheard of, and you would most definately have a fever if something was eating at your brain as your white blood cells rushed to the area to combat it. You'd also most likely be experiencing a severe, severe, very severe headache and some neurological distress like loss of bladder function or not being able to move your arm/neck. When the brain is attacked by something, even bacterial meningitis, you can't touch your head to your chest and you get very sick, sick to the point where you wouldn't be on the forums questioning it at this point, you'd be calling an ambulance .

I hope this is enough evidence for you against the idea of brain eating amoeba. :) I sincerely doubt you're experiencing that.

Blessed be,

-Panda
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline rsgators

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
I registered just to reply to this. I went swimming in a lake in Florida yesterday and I did get water up my nose a few times. I blew my nose hard to get the water out each time but now I'm scared of this stupid amoeba.

I just hope I don't get anything. If I make it two weeks with nothing then I'm good, but those two weeks will be hell.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
The amoeba labeled as "brain eating"is known as Naegleria fowleri.  Just to share some statistical information with you, the CDC reports there has been some 40 deaths causes by this amoeba in the last ten years.

That means an average of 4 people have died each year, for the last ten years.  There are now 330 million people in the US.  So this means your chances of acquiring/dying from this amoeba is 1 in 82,500,000.

I'd say that there is a real good chance that you are not going to get this.

The best to all of you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline rsgators

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Thank you for the stats. I've just been feeling headaches and head pressure over the past few days which is making me even more scared than it usually does. All the symptoms I'm feeling are things I've had with anxiety before, but I keep psyching myself out.

If I'm here in two weeks I'll know it was nothing. :D
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Thank you for the stats. I've just been feeling headaches and head pressure over the past few days which is making me even more scared than it usually does. All the symptoms I'm feeling are things I've had with anxiety before, but I keep psyching myself out.

If I'm here in two weeks I'll know it was nothing. :D

I am sure you will be around in two weeks.  In fact I have no doubt.

you are feeling these headaches/head pressures  because of your fear.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state