Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need Advice for literal HA  (Read 91 times)

Offline Joey8924

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need Advice for literal HA
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
Hey everyone. I've posted on here before for a variety of different health related issues I either was having or convinced myself I was having.

Lately I've been having a tougher time trying to turn my anxiety off. Any sort of anxiety I had started when I was 19 or 20..can't remember exactly when. I'm 24 now about to be 25 in a few months. I used to actually be able to completely forget about whatever disease I thought I had after a week or two worrying about it. And it was always one disease at a time, now it's multiple. If something popped in my head months later I would tell myself that's it's been months since I started worrying about it and nothing has happened since so I must be fine. Nowadays I can't even imagine myself waiting a few months to see if something gets better or worse on its own.

So I convinced myself to go to the doctor and explain all my concerns and see if I can get certain tests done on whatever I was worried about. I've had a few done so far, and I thought that getting scans or tests done would put my fears to rest but I'm not sure it is. Part of me is starting to think maybe something was wrong or maybe something wasn't seen. An example of what I'm currently questioning is a lump I had under my jaw for over a year. It's rock hard and doesn't move but it hasn't grown bigger than 1cm within that year either. I had a biopsy on it and no cancerous cells were found. I should be relieved but I feel as if something was missed, especially since I've read that usually any lump that's rock hard and doesn't move is usually cancer. But I've also read cancer doesn't stop growing, it continues to grow and my lump never grew. So I'm sure you can see some of my concern. So I anyone could give me any advice or knowledge that would help a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need Advice for literal HA
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »
it is exceedingly common for anxious peeps to decide to get med testing done with the hopes that it will put an end to disease fears.  However it is even more common for that idea of "get some testing done to reassure that things are really okay" and then find that the whole "reassurance med testing" has fallen FAR SHORT of solving anything at all.  Really it is part and parcel of the disorder.

I think it is absolutely natural to get med tests for the 'newbie' anxious peep.  I think if a person's  :dazed: thinking hasn't gotten very entrenched seeing a doc and getting some tests done have a chance of nipping anxious thinking in the bud.  It seems that ship has sailed for you.   :winking0008: .    The problem that crops up is that anxious peeps either find fault with the test OR they believe the test and are fine for a bit until a new crop of symptoms pop up that aren't "covered" by the previous testing.     

What does that mean for you?   well you can go ahead and continue down that windy/thorny path of anxiety OR you can try to get ahead of it all.     

I have some threads that I blather on about how I help myself.  I will link them here for you.  Perhaps some of the stuff I go on about will ring true for you. 

this one is "How I got better:  http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,67619.0.html  --this one has another link within

list of symptoms:  http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,89766.0.html 

this last one is a recent one called "things to keep in mind: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,90236.msg503590.html#msg503590

read through the responses.  there is some good discussion between members.

I hope you will be able to nip this in the bud before it becomes a runaway train.  Good luck and be well
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Joey8924

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need Advice for literal HA
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I think I'm also a little stressed because just to get the ct scans and the biopsy done took about a 3 month process from doctor visits to insurance or waiting on results. It's a tiring process and I guess I don't want to wait through all those months again just to get results and answers. On the other hand, I want to make sure everything is ok. I'm also having a tough time coming up with excuses to tell my parents about why I need to see certain doctors without them worrying that something is wrong. I literally think my parents are starting to think I'm crazy and over exaggerating things. I wish I was under my own insurance plan so I wouldn't have to explain anything but for now I'm lucky enough to even have insurance. Stress really sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: