Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: things to keep in mind  (Read 1979 times)

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 239
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: things to keep in mind
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:25:05 AM »
thank you  ;D

Truth be known I don't like med testing either.  Sometimes they are necessary.  I had to have my 'rite of passage 50 yr old colonoscopy" in April.  I dreaded having to get it done.  But it is one of those age related tests.  I've also had 2 brain MRI's 12 yrs apart and two back MRIs.  the back ones showed disk issues.  which practically half the planet have.  The brain ones were "for peace of mind"  :P  they didn't give any long term solace.  I had to find a real solution to my thinking disorder.

Sometimes I read posts here by people who list how many tests they've had  and I am aghast.   Non-anxious people haven't had 3 and 4 endoscopies and 2 or three colonoscopies etc, etc by the time they are 40.  They are using doctor visits as a coping mechanism The sad thing about it, these peeps have done these things hoping they will find peace and solace.  As you can read on many posts here, it doesn't. 

However you have ways to get better.   Your choices are not just 'sit at home and be anxious or go to the doctor and be REALLY anxious'   AND in actuality neither of those options are panaceas.

What are you doing daily to address your anxiety?  what is working?  what isn't?  what are you willing to do to get better?  Realize that any solid plan you make will take TIME.  there is no magic pill or special cure chant that gets us there  :winking0008:

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Buddy122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
Such a great post, thank you. I happened to read this after my first full blown panic attack in around three months and it was very comforting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline VeryScary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
"+Reactive behaviors--actions we take that keep a mind/body in the anxiety cycle.
    1. googling--come on we know all the excuses we make for doing it.  We also know it is harmful to our emotional  well being.  So if we insist on doing it, expect to get panicked.
     2. Monitoring--that is continually scanning our bodies for thingamajigs and hoosiewhatzits.  asking ourselves if we still have a headache, twitching, or what have you.  A person monitoring is keeping the mind in the cycle.  Which will not allow a body/mind to calm down.
     3. Reassurance---ah the HA person's 'drug' of choice.  Always looking for a hit.  then the 'high' wears off and we go looking for another.
     4.  Doc/medical testing-- another form of reassurance and it fails.  Yep you may enjoy your "not dying" high for a short time, but you KNOW you'll be 'dying' again soon.   Hey I am not going to tell anyone NOT to go to the doctor.  Go to your heart's content.  But don't lie to yourself.  It will not fix what REALLY ails you.
      5. self-test---I see this a lot.  People hopping on one foot, checking the pulse, strength test.  Pure d silly.  an amped up mind sees all kids of abnormalities."

^^^^^^ Effing gawd, this is MY LIFE. And it IS like a drug: I took my temperature 20+ times this morning. And every time was "the last time I'm going to do this."
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
"+Reactive behaviors--actions we take that keep a mind/body in the anxiety cycle.
    1. googling--come on we know all the excuses we make for doing it.  We also know it is harmful to our emotional  well being.  So if we insist on doing it, expect to get panicked.
     2. Monitoring--that is continually scanning our bodies for thingamajigs and hoosiewhatzits.  asking ourselves if we still have a headache, twitching, or what have you.  A person monitoring is keeping the mind in the cycle.  Which will not allow a body/mind to calm down.
     3. Reassurance---ah the HA person's 'drug' of choice.  Always looking for a hit.  then the 'high' wears off and we go looking for another.
     4.  Doc/medical testing-- another form of reassurance and it fails.  Yep you may enjoy your "not dying" high for a short time, but you KNOW you'll be 'dying' again soon.   Hey I am not going to tell anyone NOT to go to the doctor.  Go to your heart's content.  But don't lie to yourself.  It will not fix what REALLY ails you.
      5. self-test---I see this a lot.  People hopping on one foot, checking the pulse, strength test.  Pure d silly.  an amped up mind sees all kids of abnormalities."

^^^^^^ Effing gawd, this is MY LIFE. And it IS like a drug: I took my temperature 20+ times this morning. And every time was "the last time I'm going to do this."

Yep monitoring and self testing/checking definitely keep an anxious mind doing summersaults.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
This is great advice! I feel like everyday I wake up with a new symptom.....I'm starting to feel hopeless, like I will never get past this. I mostly get anxious when I go to school and will get very sweaty/clammy/feel dizzy like I can't focus/my heart will race. It's exhausting. It will eventually pass but by that time I'm so far gone that it's hard to recover. I'm afraid I'll be like this forever. I don't really want to take medication but I'm feeling like there's no other way......
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »
Great post! The other you linked to about you getting over anxiety even better.

I've talked about it before, swimming 5xweek helped me so much, it made me different person. When I stopped anxiety crawled back in so when I return from vacation I am starting again.

Activity is one of the most important things in getting over anxiety and you wrote that well in your post. Exercise, hobbies...

I stooped Googling 7months ago I think, made even a topic here about it and there is no easy way to do it. You just have to consciously stop yourself from doing that. It is hard at first, and it gets even harder until it finally gets easier.

Monitoring is imo even worse than Googling and I haven't gotten rid of it yet since it is alot harder imo.

This is a lifetime battle, can't argue with that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
Hypo - before anxiety crept up on me (I'd never had it before), I used to exercise 3X/week......once I got busy with school, that stopped completely and low and behold, I developed anxiety. Of course I was/still am going through very stressful times - a really intense 2 year program at school, planning a wedding, trying to manage all of that WITH school, moving, an insane amount of stress, etc.

I really want to try and make a conscious effort to get back to exercise because so many people have told me that it helps them. I just wake up everyday feeling awful (lots of tension in my back/neck, shaky, nauseous, nervous, sweaty......) Its so hard to live with!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
dee_tee

I am glad you found my blathering helpful   ;D    Yes I know it is tough feeling the way you do.  It sucks actually.

You mentioned something about getting on meds.  Many peeps find meds helpful.  I am going to post below what I wrote to another member about what I think of meds.  I took them briefly---ssri--- twice.  did they help me??  IDK...  maybe, who knows.  but really what helped me was changing my thinking/reactions to things going on in my life.

below is my opinion    ;D

what I think of meds...  benzoes-- i think of them like I think of rescue inhalers for asthma.  they are good for acute attacks but they don't fix a problem long term.    I have never taken a benzo.  My eldest DOES take them from time to time.  However she is severely disabled and there are situations that she gets highly agitated so we use them.  she also has seizures and certain type of seizure leaves her amped up and when she gets into a seizure flurry we will giver her diazepam.

SSRIs are a good help for some people.  but, on the whole, I think many people, on this forum anyway, think an ssri is a CURE.  You swallow a pill and presto you are cured.  Sort of like taking anti-biotics to get rid of a bacterial infection.   Anxiety disorders are not like bacteria.  SSRIs, imo, are great at getting the circular, amped up, whack a doo thinking slowed down enough so rationality can a get a thought in edgewise.  Some people REALLY need meds to calm the thinking enough to be able to fully engage in the proactive ---therapy, volunteering, hobbies, exercise, meditation, etc.   

Anxiety disorders are thinking disorders.  the thinking is out of whack.  So, to me, to get better one fundamentally has to retrain the stinkin' thinkin'.   That is long term project.  I don't mean to make it sound so easy because I know it isn't.  It has taken me a long time to figure out how I ticked        And I still get BEASTY whispers and I have to keep the reactive behaviors in check.  .  Usually it is high stress (coupled with my perfectionistic/high responsibility personality) that will send me down the tubes.  January 2013 was the first HUGE test of my "anxiety sobriety" when my hubs received a dx, we got lice in the house and my mom had a massive stroke and died 3 weeks later.   My eye went to hell in a hand basket from the stress (Yep an actual eye disease caused by stress  ) but I, honestly didn't get sucked back into the pit.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
thank you hypo84   :bigsmile:

and yes exercise is so, SO good for you!!!!!

My dog and I go 5 days a week 4+ miles.  today was 4.5 and monday was just under 5.   somedays there are conflicts so not as far.  Weekends are roughly half that amount.  But I love getting out first thing and enjoying the morning.  Come winter (we live in the Buffalo area) we will drop back to a couple of miles a day.   Now that school is back in, my buddy down the street joins us with her two-english and french mastiffs for part of the walk.  so exercise and shooting the bull... BOTH  great for mental health!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
As you were talking about antidepressants, I was taking cipralex for 5 months and Prozak for 6months. Never noticed any side effects, and also never noticed any benefits. My therapist told me that there are probably some benefits but I am not noticing them, I said ok, I will stop them, and I never noticed that I felt worse so they werent doing anything for me. Maybe they will help someone, just wanted to share my experience.

Klonopin on the other hand did help me, low doses 0.5mg - 1.5mg, but I don't use that also since I want to live happy life drug free. I never had problems when I was stopping with Klonopin but I hear people do have so that should be taken into consideration.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything