Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hard week-need help  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hard week-need help
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Yeah, if I had trouble one time I'm sure I would every other time. Not here and there. I just tried opening a jar of peanut butter with my pointer finger and thumb, it was really hard. Switched to a small jar and it was a lot easier. I'm nuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »
Shawn, do you know what atrophy near the pinky looks like? Anyone for that matter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
Shawn, do you know what atrophy near the pinky looks like? Anyone for that matter.

This. Stop this. Self-checking is the first thing you need to quit.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »
I also noticed twitching I can see but not feel in that hand. Great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
Look!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
First pic is my right hand and second is my left in bother series of photos.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
First pic is my right hand and second is my left in bother series of photos.

WOW  You really are a glutton for punishing yourself aren't you.  You are behaving like your own worst enemy. 

You, imo, really need to step back and gain some perspective.   

However

NOTHING ANYONE SAYS TO YOU IS GOING TO SATE YOUR ANXIOUS THINKING ABOUT ALS.  You are going to have to come to this conclusion on your own. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »
Gah. I'm assuming six pack you don't see anything weird?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
One last pic set. Once again, left hand is one I'm worried about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline blakebeck94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
I recently went through an ALS scare myself so I'd say I'm pretty well-versed on this stuff (and a lot of other people here are as well). First of all, after 5 months, your symptoms would be a lot worse. You'd have issues walking and doing simple, everyday things like buttoning a shirt or typing. Additionally, rarely, if ever, is twitching the first sign of ALS. It is usually preceded by notable weakness and atrophy.

Now, a ton of people have already told you it's not ALS, and apparently it's not working, so it's your turn. Stop chasing a diagnoses, man. Go out and live your life. The twitches may always be there, but you just need to live with them and realize they're your friends.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Egg

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »
Nk904, we are not doctors -- just kind people talking to you on the Internet. Any medical opinion or reassurance we can give you isn't worth much.

I personally have been there -- strength-testing, comparing, scrutinizing. I never reassured myself one bit. In fact, paying so much attention to my body was counterproductive. It bred hyperawareness in me, which increases anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Nk904, we are not doctors -- just kind people talking to you on the Internet. Any medical opinion or reassurance we can give you isn't worth much.

I personally have been there -- strength-testing, comparing, scrutinizing. I never reassured myself one bit. In fact, paying so much attention to my body was counterproductive. It bred hyperawareness in me, which increases anxiety.

Actual medical assurance has done nothing to allay his fears either, although this is a typical response for someone with health anxiety. Nolan, you've got to stop. It will never get any better if you continue to pick the wound. You've seen what, 5 neurologists? None of them were concerned with your condition. Twitching is not a reliable symptom of anything. You have anxiety. It's ABUNDANTLY clear you have anxiety. Bad. Anxiety. Accept this as the cause of your twitching.

You've been going on about this 5 months. If it were *** it would have become clinical weakness assuredly by now. End this, Nolan. You're being completely irrational. You're king of the rabbit-hole; step off your neurotic throne and see reason.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
I don't see pics so I assume they haven't been approved yet.  But, honestly would anything I say help you for more than a day?  I think I'm stretching it at a day to be honest.  At this point, I am enabling you.  I am more than happy to help people, and to soothe some of their worries where I can but myself and other members including nom are becoming part of the problem.  Have you sought any professional help for your anxiety?  That's your only problem.

A finger twitching 4 times?  I have had hot spots for days...firing all day...wake up with it...go to sleep with it.  And I consider myself fortunate because I know people with hot spots for many months.

I will say this again for anyone reading it...*** is not a disease of twitching, cramping, pain, weird feelings, saying some words wrong here and there, tingling, soreness or anything of the like.  It's a disease of weakness....true clinical weakness...not I can't open a jar of peanut butter weakness.  Lung cancer patients have a cough.  So do those with a cold.  Anxious people with hyperactive nervous systems can often twitch, cramp, and hurt.  It's common.  If you get to the point where you can't button your shirt, open a door, walk, speak, swallow etc...let us know.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »
I don't see pics so I assume they haven't been approved yet.  But, honestly would anything I say help you for more than a day?  I think I'm stretching it at a day to be honest.  At this point, I am enabling you.  I am more than happy to help people, and to soothe some of their worries where I can but myself and other members including nom are becoming part of the problem.  Have you sought any professional help for your anxiety?  That's your only problem.

This. I mentioned the other day I don't know what to say to you any more, Nolan. Because I know that I've become part of your reassurance program and do not want to continue to be another method of your self-checking/testing/diagnosing.

I'll also include I went through these same steps. Given, in a much shorter time-frame. I had to learn to stop asking for assurance from others. Stop assessing strength. Stop everything. And I'm very near-to complete cessation. I'm sure once in a while I'll still ask for reassurance and sometimes still I'll hop on one foot and walk around on my toes. But I no longer do these things constantly. Not even daily. You have got to put forth the effort required to stop your anxiety from ruling you. It probably won't happen all at once. You need to make progress in combating your anxiety. Temporary relief is just that. Temporary.

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
Gah. I'm assuming six pack you don't see anything weird?

NK--  I didn't even look at any pictures.  there is no need for me to look at your hand or finger or whatever the picture is about in order for me to know your issue is.   What ails you is not ALS but a severe health anxiety disorder.  I have been a member here for 5 years and I have never seen a member be so incapable of seeing the truth staring him/her in the face. 

YOU ARE DOING THIS TO YOURSELF.  Until you abandon this irrational behavior you are going to be living in this miserable fear.  At some point you will give up on ALS, but, I promise you, you will only replace it with another disease fear.

I agree with shawnW.  any reassurance given to you (which is folly for a ha person anyway) is only enabling your rampantly irrational fear.

I feel badly that you are this emotional wreck.  However, it is of your own making at this point.

What are you doing for the SERIOUS disorder that you actually have?  Anything?  Anything at all?  What is working?  What isn't?  What are willing to do to get better?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: