Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lamictal 150 mg Cymbalta 30 mg: Bipolar, not unipolar  (Read 138 times)

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lamictal 150 mg Cymbalta 30 mg: Bipolar, not unipolar
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
Hey, I'm back. I guess I've been through the complicated world of emotional and mental issues while not active on this site. The doctor is raising the lamictal in what seems to be a very slow manner. I am now on 150 after over 6 weeks of being on it and he is leaving the cymbalta at 30 because of the anti depressant effects on bipolar.

I think I might need a raise on cymbalta. He and I have discussed my "mixed" mood states and my anger episodes. I swear, when i tried the 150 mg the first day, i think it had a wonderful effect the first day and then it went away. I do not whatsoever think it was placebo. It's so frustrating because my energy and performance at work is profoundly hindered by the newly discovered bipolar illness that I have had for years. The doctor feels it's bipolar and I agree. The other doctor put me down as having dysthimia.

I do have social bashfulness at times and I hate that I stutter and i have had a rough past in school, but overall, the bipolar seems to be the verdict of most of my suffering. I do struggle socially, but overall, I think this bipolar illness needs to get into remission because I want to do well. So, how long should I give this combination? he said clinically I look better. The cymbalta already kicked in, but the bipolar has suffered the effects from anti depressant use. The lamictal is somewhat treating the mixed effects... do you think I am at the target dose? I don't think so... I'm actually very lost as to which med needs tweaking. I have definitely learned an important detail, anti depressants with bipolar don't put bipolar into a good state along. monotherapy doesn't work...so maybe the lamictal or the mood stabilizer concept as a whole needs tweaking...he told me remission is possible and that shocked me... I do want remission from this affliction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lamictal 150 mg Cymbalta 30 mg: Bipolar, not unipolar
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
The cymbalta already kicked in, but the bipolar has suffered the effects from anti depressant use. The lamictal is somewhat treating the mixed effects... do you think I am at the target dose? I don't think so... I'm actually very lost as to which med needs tweaking.

For bipolar the usual Lamictal dose is someone between 200-400mg/day. If you believe the Cymbalta is already having a manic effect then the Lamictal dose probably needs to be raised. However, caution is needed because it can produce some very unpleasant long-term side-effects which is probably be why your doctor is going slowly. But equally, there seems little point in taking a med at doses that aren't fully effective so I think you should be on at least 200mg/day.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »
Why do you think I had a "wonderful" feeling after taking 150 mg lamictal on the first day? what is going to happen if I reach a target dose? and does raising the lamictal have the potential to lift the depression that the cymbalta is already working on? the cymbalta has not put the depression into remission because of my bipolar... but what will the lamictal raise do for me? and thanks again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:39:16 AM »
Why do you think I had a "wonderful" feeling after taking 150 mg lamictal on the first day?

Probably the placebo effect. A direct drug effect would likely have repeated the next time you took it, but apparently didn't.

what is going to happen if I reach a target dose?

In terms of the"wonderful" feeling? Probably not much.

and does raising the lamictal have the potential to lift the depression that the cymbalta is already working on?

While some claim Lamictal alleviated depression, it doesn't for most. But it may inhibit a slide into depression, though I'm guessing it was mostly prescribed for the anger and/or to limit a switch into mania.

the cymbalta has not put the depression into remission because of my bipolar... but what will the lamictal raise do for me? and thanks again.

Lamictal is a mood stabilizer. As that suggests it should help keep your moods stable, inhibiting the swings into depression and mania, plus help you with anger issues.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: