Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Please please numbness in hands and feet, please reply!!!!!!  (Read 103 times)

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does anyone experience this? This is killing me. I was going to the chiropractor and it was a bit better, but now it's worse. I have hand numbness when I am in the computer, when holding the phone... it's bad.... I also get some tingling and numbness in my feet...specially the left.... I thought that maybe I had carpal tunnel syndrome but now I am not so sure if I get it in my feet too when I am sitting..... don't know what's going on.... anyone else?? please please, I am so scared of going to the doctor.  :(
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please please numbness in hands and feet, please reply!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
tingling et all is common, COMMON, COMMON manifestation with anxiety.  some people say it is due to breathing changes with anxious people.  Often the person doesn't even realize the breathing change.   another explanation is a reaction to the endless supply of adrenaline our bodies produce all of the time.  a body that is always on alert, like it is being chased by a bear, is tough on a body.  it would be foolish to think it doesn't impact a body physically.  Third, and what I think caused it in me was this:   tense body/mind makes tense muscles.  tense muscles press on nerves (and if you have any kind of disk issues at all will make it even worse).  nerves that get squished (perhaps inflamed) don't conduct impulses as well.  One or two or maybe a combo of all three above can be an explanation of why people OFTEN complain, freak out about tingling, numbing, vibrating, twitching, buzzing of muscles and limbs.    If a person, then, lets this reaction scare them, it only increases the intensity and allows this to go on and on and on.

honestly, if you went to the doctor and talked about such things, you would be likely to get referred to a neuro.  depending on the neuro you will get one of two things:  a neuro exam and told it was normal and likely stress/anxiety and sent you on your way.  OR doc will say your neuro exam is normal but he will order an MRI of either the brain or back or both.  then an EMG.  The doc will say to "rule out X neuro-nasty"  or for "your peace of mind" (which we know is just a HA trap  :winking0008: ).  BUT mostly it is a doc covering his backside.    Let's say you have all of these tests.  The most you are likely to hear is you disk herniations (which, honestly, is very common.  probably half the planet have this).    Doc *may* give you a script for PT or may just send you on your way.    From there either you will not believe the doc and want 2nd opinion  OR you will be thrilled that you are not dying of X.  you will be fine a day or a week or a month or a year.  then your anxiety will reassert itself for whatever reason.  then you will be worrying about a disease not covered by the most recent tests.   As much of a pain in the arse this may seem Or I may seem  :P by saying this,  the sad thing is that is the nature of thinking disorders and why peace of mind testing and reassurance doesn't help.  it definitely sucks   :yes:   I am not telling anybody to not see doctors.  What I am saying is don't expect that it will solve the anxiety disorder.   :winking0008:

I read your post AND I have had all of these things so it kinda makes me grin.  I have had mris and emgs.  I always 'fail' my emgs.  well I have some disk issues.  so ANYTIME I get nerve inflammation OR muscle tenseness (from overuse or stress) I will note a lot more tingling etc. 

okay, I haven't done any close proofreading so I hope I don't have a lot of grammar mistakes.   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please please numbness in hands and feet, please reply!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
tingling et all is common, COMMON, COMMON manifestation with anxiety.  some people say it is due to breathing changes with anxious people.  Often the person doesn't even realize the breathing change.   another explanation is a reaction to the endless supply of adrenaline our bodies produce all of the time.  a body that is always on alert, like it is being chased by a bear, is tough on a body.  it would be foolish to think it doesn't impact a body physically.  Third, and what I think caused it in me was this:   tense body/mind makes tense muscles.  tense muscles press on nerves (and if you have any kind of disk issues at all will make it even worse).  nerves that get squished (perhaps inflamed) don't conduct impulses as well.  One or two or maybe a combo of all three above can be an explanation of why people OFTEN complain, freak out about tingling, numbing, vibrating, twitching, buzzing of muscles and limbs.    If a person, then, lets this reaction scare them, it only increases the intensity and allows this to go on and on and on.

honestly, if you went to the doctor and talked about such things, you would be likely to get referred to a neuro.  depending on the neuro you will get one of two things:  a neuro exam and told it was normal and likely stress/anxiety and sent you on your way.  OR doc will say your neuro exam is normal but he will order an MRI of either the brain or back or both.  then an EMG.  The doc will say to "rule out X neuro-nasty"  or for "your peace of mind" (which we know is just a HA trap  :winking0008: ).  BUT mostly it is a doc covering his backside.    Let's say you have all of these tests.  The most you are likely to hear is you disk herniations (which, honestly, is very common.  probably half the planet have this).    Doc *may* give you a script for PT or may just send you on your way.    From there either you will not believe the doc and want 2nd opinion  OR you will be thrilled that you are not dying of X.  you will be fine a day or a week or a month or a year.  then your anxiety will reassert itself for whatever reason.  then you will be worrying about a disease not covered by the most recent tests.   As much of a pain in the arse this may seem Or I may seem  :P by saying this,  the sad thing is that is the nature of thinking disorders.  it definitely sucks   :yes:

I read your post AND I have had all of these things so it kinda makes me grin.  I have had mris and emgs.  I always 'fail' my emgs.  well I have some disk issues.  so ANYTIME I get nerve inflammation OR muscle tenseness (from overuse or stress) I will note a lot more tingling etc. 

okay, I haven't done any close proofreading so I hope I don't have a lot of grammar mistakes.   :winking0008:

Wow thanks so much for your post. It means more than you can imagine! I did you to my neuro back in December because I was having daily headaches and I thought I had a brain tumor. He did a neuro test everything was perfect and told me I had tension in neck shoulder and back creating my headaches. He gave me a prescription for MRI because I begged him but he said I didn't have a brain tumor. The MRI was clean. He treated me with trigger point injections and my headaches, neck and shoulder pain got much better. He gave me ativan only 30 pills and I have only one left.

I would go back BUT he stopped taking insurance, and the appointment could be anywhere between 250-350. GGGRRRRR.....But I hate to switch doctors, I really really like this guy.

I was thinking on going to my GP for it.... but sometimes GPs are a waste of time!

Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Tags: