Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Help! Why is my cough getting worse?  (Read 108 times)

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help! Why is my cough getting worse?
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
I know i just barely posted about something else in this section yesterday and I'm sorry if I'm being annoying, but I'm scared! For the past few days I've had a scratchy throat, but on Friday it turned into a cough, which goes back and forth from being a wet cough to a dry cough. I have a ton of phlegm and it seems there's more every day. On Friday my cough wasn't that bad so I didn't worry much about it. Yesterday it got worse, and today it's even worse. From the time I woke up I was coughing and could feel a lot of phlegm in my throat. My coughs were, like, 5 seconds apart and a lot more phlegmy. Sometimes I couldn't talk because I was coughing too much! I keep having this thing where I cough and then a bunch of phlegm comes into my throat and it gets hard to breathe because of it an I'm afraid that if I cough or clear my throat it'll block my throat completely and i won't be able to breathe. I ended up swallowing a huge amount of phlegm. Is that bad? Will it go to my lungs? I was like that until I took medicine. It helped some, but my cough is still here (not as bad though as before) and until today the medicine would make it almost go away altogether. Why isn't it as effective today? Also, early this morning I couldn't sleep because I was having shortness of breath again and kind of hyperventilating a little (which has been going on for months and the dr says is from anxiety but now I don't believe that) but my breathing issues hadn't felt that bad for a few days. I think if I hadn't been trying not to freak out I think I would've stopped breathing. Is this part still from anxiety? I'm scared that the cough affected my lungs and that the phlegm is all going into into my lungs and will  drown me. Why did the shortness of breath get bad so again after feeling better for a few days? My Mom said my cold went into my chest and that made me more scared. What if I have pneumonia or lung cancer or something? What if I can't stop coughing and die? Will I stop breathing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help! Why is my cough getting worse?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
Go to your physician, most likely it is just a cold that went to your lungs, which causes the cold to get worse and more uncomfortable. But that is about it... :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
You have a cold and that's what's causing the cough. Coughs can last weeks after a cold is getting better and can linger even after your feeling well again so don't give it so much thought. You'll only make it worse with your anxiety and if you have the tendency to hyperventilate then it will just exacerbate the situation.

This is my second day with an annoying dry cough that appears instantly. I can't get rid of the tickling in my throat. It happens. This is just the way the body is.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
I always am relieved when I start to get a chest cough with my colds, because it means the miserable head cold part is finally going away.  But the cough usually lingers for a week or two for me - last time my mom and I got sick we got some horrible thing that kept coming and going, and the cough stuck around for like a month.  We're both fine now.

Get some Mucinex D - it really helps thin out the crap.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: