Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Calf pain and shortness of breath help please :(  (Read 106 times)

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Calf pain and shortness of breath help please :(
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:50:26 AM »
Hi everyone need someone to talk some sense to me! So I had my beautiful little boy 2 weeks ago today and he's doing great me on the other hand isn't. I have suffered from HA for over a year now and I was going to CBT therapy but was discharged this April as I was sooo much better apart from the odd day I didn't focus on my health issues. Anyway since I've had my baby it's gone back to how I was frequent crying, panic attacks, severe HA in my head now I think I have dvt which is progressing into a PE or whatever it is called. I had slight calf pain on Tuesday literally the feeling of sleeping on ot funny but that didn't stop me thinking omg this is deffo dvt. They ask u in the hospital if u had pains in your legs which I didn't but that triggered my thoughts I reckon. I went to drs to get checked and he said there was nothing wrong just muscle ache and the next day my leg was fine. Anyway yesterday I started getting abit out of breath going upstairs and a tight feeling in my chest and that set me on good old google! And I convinced myself that this dvt I thought I had as broke off and travelled to my lung and I'm gonna die. I then felt dizzy, sick, hot, shaky, breathless. My oh got his mum to come calm me down as I had a major panic attack which I've not had for over six months :( just to say my breathing is normal right now the only issue is feeling abit short of breath when moving about and if I take a deep breath it feels abit tight ( I do have asthma) I just feel really upset that it's all come back after I've had my baby I'm hoping to see my therapist to nip it in the bud before I get worse. Not to mention I've had thoughts of breast cancer too cos of lumps in my breasts which deep down I know is milk pockets but I still think the worst. My dr prescribed me citrlipram (sorry spelling) which I don't want to take yet but shoukd I? And How likely to my symptoms going to be a blood clot is it really just my anxiety? Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post but I feel better for letting it out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Calf pain and shortness of breath help please :(
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:20:10 AM »
"I then felt dizzy, sick, hot, shaky, breathless"

I think this alone sums it up for me. If you were having something as severe as you suspect, these would be present with you constantly. You're talking about a blockage in the blood vessels of your lungs. Something incredibly serious. Some, small ones, can cause no symptoms, but those are not worth worrying about - they can clear up by themselves. For it to be serious, you would be majorly ill.

The passage of symptoms you are describing seems to follow something like this, if I'm reading right.

1. You have a fear of PE, which is quite a common fear.
2. You had some muscle tightness in your calf, which scared you more. You saw a doctor and it went away. Nothing to be scared of :)
3. You had breathlessness when climbing the stairs. A scary symptom, I admit, but so common and potentially caused by any number of harmless things.
4. You googled. After googling, you then went into a full blown panic, which makes it all seem worse. This is nothing abnormal when suffering from HA.

This is typical of anxiety, and very, very commonly seen around these boards. You've developed a fear of something, and you're equating every symptom you have to it. It's hard, I know, but you have to accept a simple fact: If you had a severe PE, you wouldn't be discussing it on these boards. You would be desperately ill, possibly even unconscious. It isn't a little bit of chest tightness and breathlessness on exertion, it's a serious medical emergency. You're not having one :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »
congrats on the new baby

my opinion:  you are having a spike in your anxiety  almost certainly due to post partum  issues.  That hit me like a freight train following two births.  I took zoloft following the birth of my 6th and I was nursing her.

other than that  everything rap_talon said
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »
Thankyou very much for getting back to me it sometimes takes someone to give your head a shake to listen I was convinced yesterday but I'm doing slit better today I know that breathlessness and other issues r just linked to giving birth and my body going back to 'normal' whatever that is lol. I just feel so frustrated and I hope me seeing the therapist with nip it in the bud. I never used to be like this it came on after having my first son nearly 2 years ago! I got better like I mentioned apart from a few thoughts which I used logical thinking to pass and it's erupted since have my 2nd son I feel positive I can get through it though
Bookmark and Share

Tags: