Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My co-worker freaked me out!  (Read 173 times)

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My co-worker freaked me out!
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
You might not want to read if you have a fear of C.

Just as I'm starting to feel better, mentally and physically my co-worker has crippled me with fear.  I have been in a shell lately and avoided people when I was at my worst.  So since I've been feeling better I decided to tell my co-worker the symptoms I was having and how I feared a brain tumor.  Instead of saying "those things are so rare" and "your tests came up clean", she told me I sound like her friend...who had problems...that came and went...and she was misdiagnosed...for 6 months...before they found out she had the big C.  Thank God she's a survivor.  But still!

I told her I had pretty severe HA, and she kept going!  She started asking me if I had this BT symptom or that one.  And I said I had a lot of the symptoms, but not EVERY one.  So she says, "yeah but you don't have to have them all."

Then she started suggesting diagnosis-like Crohn's, even though the digestive issues have gone.  How do I cope with hearing these stories and not projecting them on me?  Now I'm worried about anything else in my body that could be going undetected.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My co-worker freaked me out!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »
:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »
Yup. I'm same way. After my ct scan I was happy then I had an idiot to tell me she had a benign brain tumor that was misdiagosed and her symptoms weren't totally related to mine but still.
People don't understand that we people with HA don't take everything with a grain of salt. Did you ever have a MRI? And what about her friend? How did they misdiagnose her for so long? MRI will not miss a tumor it's rare for ct scans to miss them.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

Offline loveya14

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »
The same thing has happened to me . You have to say something to make them stop ASAP ,  just say " I don't mean to sound rude but I'm really sensitive to stories like that " or just say " I think I forgot to do something I'll be right back " lol , basically whatever if takes
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »
I can't even read health stories. My heart starts racing and I start feeling woozie, almost like i'm going to pass out. It just freaks me out that much!

Listen, your brain tumor fears are very common with hypochondriacs, and theres a 99% chance you're completely fine and whatever symptoms you have are just caused by anxiety.  :yes:

so, just try to calm down.
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:41:56 PM »
Thank you all. 

@Kmj023- I've had an MRI, which I told my co-worker.  But she didn't make me feel good about that!  Her friend had ovarian cancer (so totally unrelated but I still related it to me, that's how bad I am.). She said her friend had all kind of tests done before they found it.

@Disaster_Dino- Yeah, I'm pretty bad.  I can't even watch medical shows. I realize I can't discuss health with people unless I really trust them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »
Ok well obviously she doesn't know what she's talking about. It's very very unlikely for a MRI to miss a brain tumor. Especially if it's causing symtoms.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"