Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Almost fainting in 21 celsius weather, so scared  (Read 124 times)

Offline CorneliusRupertTravis

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Almost fainting in 21 celsius weather, so scared
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »
Hello everybody. I wish to share a horrible experience I had yesterday whilst shopping in the town centre with my mum.

Before I went out I badgered my mum on her opinion of what I should wear out. It seems I am always doing this, especially in Summer as I am scared of getting stuck out in hot weather in inappropriate clothes as I really can't tolerate hot weather - it makes me panicky.

So I am walking down the street in a loose cotton t-shirt and a pair of jeans on. I am starting to feel uncomfortable, especially my legs under these warm jeans with no air to breathe. Then we turn a corner and the sun starts to come out and I am walking down this street with absolutely no shade and nowhere to go except the Morrisons in the distance. I start to feel so unbearably hot I am almost jogging down the street to get to the Morrisons, haphazardly crossing the road without much care, leaving my mum metres behind. I am almost to the front doors when my vision starts to tunnel and everything feels far away. I am feeling hot and dizzy and I start to panic.

I rush into the shop and rush to the nearest fridge section. I am feeling very lightheaded and I feel like I am getting headrushes. I am so scared and sure I am going to faint. I take some water from the fridge and drink it (I payed for it afterwards of course, I don't condone this normally) and place it on my head, desperate to cool down, willing myself NOT to faint, so sure that I will.

I stand there for a while, shaking. Gradually I start to feel better and cool down, though still a bit dizzy. My mum finds me and says I just 'stressed out'. Since my anxiety got bad a couple of years ago, I seem to be so bad at dealing with hot weather. I don't seem to sweat very much, despite keeping myself hydrated I only sweat a little from my armpits and the small of my back, and the rest feels dry. My latest trick is to bring a bottle of water with me and keep splashing it on me to cool down, it works but I fear I am spoiling my ability to sweat naturally.

It was 21 celsius yesterday, a bit breezy and not humid. Is that really warm enough to make somebody ill/pass out? Oh, and is it even possible to stop yourself from passing out? Is that mechanism bypassable? Is there such thing as 'nearly fainting'? This was such a horrible experience I have lost confidence with dealing with hot weather.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hiswaywardgirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Almost fainting in 21 celsius weather, so scared
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
Sorry you had to go through that! That isn't very warm at all. I live in a desert where it's about 43 degrees C outside right now (110 F), and usually it takes overexertion or prolonged sun/heat exposure to give people health issues (even people who aren't used to the heat).

I think it could one of two things... one, your anxiety just found another way to get to you. If that's the case, you just need to go outside more when the sun is out, and accept the way it feels.

Secondly, you might have a nutritional problem like dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance. Those are easy enough to fix with water or an electrolyte beverage (not sure if they have Gatorade where you live, but something like that). You also might have other nutritional issues that are making anxiety worse -- some of the ones I've read about here are Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, and Magnesium. (I supplement all 3 and it's really helped :) )

Edit -- you're probably not spoiling your ability to sweat. If that were the case, loads of people I know would be way less smelly and sweaty when they work out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
Hi, well I know exactly how you feel because I had to drive to the DMV today to renew my husband's license plates---it is about 95 degrees, humid with a heat index of 100.  To make matters worse the air conditioning does not work in my car.  When I got inside the building I sat down and felt a bit dizzy---I have a history of fainting in the past, I've fainted about 5 times in my life, sometimes from heat, sometimes from pain, and twice because I got up too fast from lying down climbed a fight of stairs to use my restroom and fainted in the restroom (once in 2000, and again in 2006). But, I gave it my best effort to stay calm, and not think the worst was about to happen----I did not faint and made it back home unscathed.

My doctor told me that if I feel like I am about to faint to get as low on the floor as possible because I hurt myself the last two times.  I suppose laying down on the floor with your knees up will help the blood back up to your head to prevent fainting.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline dustandshadow13

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
I'm sure its just anxiety getting to you. 21C isn't even hot, that's 70F, room temperature. I think you need to spend some time in the sun where you can feel safe and cool of right away if you feel you need to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
Heat is indeed miserable, it makes me drowsy, same way it does if I have a hot bath.

Wear some shorts and a cool t shirt to avoid making summer heat worse than it already is. I live in the south of the U.S. and in July and August it's downright gross 90s and 100s degrees.
Bookmark and Share