Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies anxiety  (Read 170 times)

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies anxiety
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:10:31 AM »
We've had bats in our house before -- just last summer, actually, and my sister and I were both vaccinated -- and now that it's summer and they're active again, I can hardly sleep at night.

Mostly I've been alright on the, "If they're awake, and I'm awake, then I can catch them before they get me" theory, but about a week ago I was walking back into my bedroom and saw some brown mucus-y goop on the wall, and I have no idea what it was or how it got there: so, naturally, because it was the middle of the night, my first immediate thought was "it's from a bat, and that bat bit me, and now I definitely have rabies."

I called the health department to see what advice they could give me ("possibly from a bat, but since you didn't see a bat, we don't recommend a vaccine"), and I'm trying really hard to just roll with that but I'm not having much luck. :( My parents are trying to reassure me that we don't have bats in our attic anymore, since last summer we had all of the entrances sealed off, but we haven't had anyone come to check, and it's all very Schrödinger's bat.

I just really don't know what to do. I don't know how long my vaccination is good for (the health department only said it was "theoretically good for a really long time" but I'm not sure if that includes the boosters you get after a second exposure), or if there would be any risks to getting the booster shots (outside of side effects and allergic reactions, which I just can't think about); and I don't have a regular doctor so it's not like I can just call them up and ask.

If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. I haven't been able to shake this fear for a week and it's really getting to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:32 AM »
whilst I can't say with 100% certainty, when a family member had to have a vaccine for rabies, we were told that it was good for 2-3 years, and that they would likely need a booster for it after 2, just to be sure, at which point they could be immune for many years. They need it for their work, so I'm sure they'd be being extra cautious, which means yours should easily be good for longer :)

It also sounds like the right steps have been taken to prevent the bats entering again, so until you see one I think you'd be much better off trying to put it from your mind
Bookmark and Share

Tags: