Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: CatScan found several large cysts Dr. wants to meet with me Monday  (Read 171 times)

Offline Maryjo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've had HA almost my whole life but it normally comes and goes around the time of actual illness. Back in January (I was pregnant) and I kept complaining of severe back pain. I'm very stoic so the majority of the time a lot of Dr's dismiss my problems as anxiety. My doctor told me it was a muscle and sent me home with pain meds. I became increasingly worse so long story short after several L&D trips and me not urinating in over 24 hours they finally gave me an ultrasound. I had severe hydronaprosis and my kidney was huge. I had surgery and a nosprostomy tube put in. I was promised surgery right after I had my daughter, whom I delivered 5 weeks early while I was in the hospital already for my kidney. I kept telling them I was in labor and they dismissed my concerns until they hooked me up for an NST scan and found I was in labor. Skipping ahead to making this short, they thought my hydronophrosis was from pregnancy so for months I went to the doctors crying in pain they kept telling me to wait till my uterus was back to normal. They finally found out I had a rare kidney disorder where my kidney floats. I had major kidney surgery on April 21,2014. During this time I kept complaining of severe nausea, stomach and back pain. They kept telling me it was from the kidney, I had also been losing lots of weight. This actually started when I was pregnant, they also blamed the kidney. Last Monday I went to the Doctor because I was complaining of severe stomach pain (I've been on pain pills since January) and bloating. I told her I wasn't sure if it was my bladder or my uterus. She said that it was more than likely another UTI. Fast forward to Friday morning I had shooting pain that would no go away on my right side and my stomach bloated up. I called my friend who's a nurse and she said she would take me to the ER. On our way we were in a car accident and the seatbelt crushed my already aching stomach. The EMT recognized me from back when I had stones and made a snide comment about my health. He made it very clear that he thought I was making up my symptoms. He asked what surgery I had ect. Then tried to coax me to go to the bigger hospital. I actually thought before I went to the ER that my bowel had obstructed so I said I wanted to get looked at ASAP. When we got there he used words like "She claims that her stomach is is normally flat, and yet it's soft" and "According to her she supposedly can't remember the name of her surgery but claims she has a floating kidney. This made me feel like *****, also his non-belivingness wore off on the rest of the doctors who had seen me before (I had lots of kidney problems including infections and stones so I was in the ER a lot and got the title as a frequent flyer) so none of these people believed me. The doc took an x-ray of my stomach and wrist and ankle and did blood work. They pushed daladid and mostly stayed away. I was still in shock, I had never been in a car accident and I was scared and in pain. He finally comes in 6 hours later and tells me I'm fine. I freaked. I'm not fine, I'm in agony. He said well all our tests prove you're fine. I then broke down crying and begged for further testing telling him I'm not okay and that there's something wrong with me. He then said "yeah there's something wrong with you….) ouch then said he would order a ct-scan but was hesitant because of my past scans. Well the test comes back and I have several large cysts on my ovaries, bladder and kidney. He seemed shocked that there was a problem. I just had a Ct-scan back in March so this was concerning to me but he said to follow up with my doctor. Long story short, I had a panic attack on Sunday evening and called 911 because I felt like I couldn't breath and was having severe stomach pains. The EMT's gave me ***** off the bat and I asked if I should stay home, they yelled, well you called didn't you!! So I went in and the nurses were all crowed around making snide comments about me being there, I wanted to die of embarrassment. One was like weren't you just here the other saying I dont understand why people can't just follow simple directions to wait to see their doctors. I went in the room and could hear them talking about me, making rude horrible comments about me being a hypochondriac and many other things. I broke down crying. I wanted to leave and never come back then the nurse came in and rudely asked "WHY ARE YOU HERE?" then I told her then all she could talk about was the car accident and even asked if I drove my car into them ugh. After she left the talking continued and the doc came in and gave me a PYSCH evaluation. I wanted to crawl up and die. He asked me if I wanted to hurt someone or myself, asked if I heard voices and asked if my kids were safe, I was soooo insulted. I told him I have anxiety and that I'm not crazy. He was very condescending and I told him I will never come back. He then said well you can come if there's something actually wrong with you. There was, I thought I was dying and I have cysts, lots of them. He said that is not an emergency, the same thing the other doc said about my cysts. I left with my head down and my husbands shoes on because I couldn't find mine before leaing the house. I ended up having to walk home )3 miles) I was humiliated, dehumanized. Anyways my question is has anyone had all the symptoms and even fast growing cysts and it turned out to be nothing? I've lost 36lbs in 4 months (not trying) I'm thin already and only gained 15lbs while pregnant. I'm sick with worry someone please help calm me down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
wow. I am so sorry you had to go thru all this.... and deal with rude doctors....

When is your appointment with your GP? is there a doctor you feel comfortable with? maybe your ob/gyn? For sure they can see if a cyst is benign or not with a CT scan I believe. But you definitely need to address your concerns. I would find a doctor you feel comfortable with. I have 3 cysts in my ovaries and doctors didn't even care.... they say they will go away on their own or rupture. I was having a LOT of pain on my left side, where the cysts are. Appraently they are not big deal. But I will defiinteky follow up as you have some in different parts.

Again I am very sorry about everything that happened to you. Try to calm down now. It looks like they are benign!!!!  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi MaryJo,

Reading your post really made me mad!!! I am so agitated for you I would LOVE to have been there and ripped them all new hindends! what Jerks and so Unprofessional!! I would call the Main Hospital and report what happened and tell them you would love to tell the whole entire world how crappy they treated you! I would have told them all off but that is me and I have before!

You do have many things going on and a bunch of idiots adding to what you have already been through didn't help at all and do NOT let them make you feel bad fight for your rights and stand up to the Idiots!! One day they all will face medical problems either mentally or physically and then maybe they will get treated how you did ! We reap what we sow or Karma!

You keep pushing to get yourself better and if that means seeing as many doctors as you have to then keep pushing and don't let them make you feel worse get your VOICE and keep demanding!!

Those cyst should be taken care of either by meds or surgery and if you have a good doctor they should be helping you and telling you all this so jump their ass ! I want to do it for you! lol

Praying for you and do not let anyone make you feel like they did and I am so sorry you had to walk home how awful!! My heart feels broken for you and Yes I am mad that the People who PRETEND to care in the Medical Field thinks its okay to make fun of people ! I would fire them all because there are other people who would love to be working!! Also if you call a squad and you decide you do not want to go when they get there they can NOT force you once again use your Voice and say NO I am okay and I do not want to go now and if some you have seen before and they treat you bad say NO I will NOT be going with you because of your neglect towards me and verbally belittling me!

Take care and Keep working on getting better and Please don't take their crap!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
ok, I know that doctors and nurses get a lot of people that have nothing wrong with them coming to the ER, but this was totally unacceptable behavior from these "so called" professionals. 

Panic attacks cause real symptoms, and can cause real problems with your cardiovascluar system.  I have had health anxiety my whole life and I know this was why my liver disease diagnosis wasn't caught sooner, because they thought I was making stuff up.  What these doctors don't realize is that we know we have a problem and most of us are so scared of finding out something is wrong, we put off going to the doctor until we really can't help it anymore.  At least I do. 

Now to your problem.  Cysts can cause all kinds of pain on the ovaries and will more than likely resolve on their own.  There is little to do about them surgically, because they will just come back, but you should be getting treated with pain meds or other meds to help shrink them like birth control.  Complex cysts may require surgery though and can be more worrisome.   But cysts on other organs aren't as common.  It sounds like you need to find a nephrologist to have your kidneys looked at and a urologist to look at your bladder.  There must be a reason why you are developing cysts on organs (other than the ovaries, which is pretty common) 

I don't know if you live in a small area, as I do, but there has to be another medical system that will speak to you.  The problem you are going to run into is that doctors probably have put in your chart that you are a hypochodriac and will jump to that conclusion before any other.  Your chart follows you everywhere if you are in the same health system. 

Don't accept being treated this way either.  Let these doctors know in no uncertain terms that if you aren't treated and you don't have the tests you need, you will sue them for malpractice.  Stand up for yourself.   

Now that being said, the panic attack at home.  You need to find a way to relax and need to speak to someone about maybe getting anxiety meds.  Though panic attacks cause symptoms, you will be less likely to be treated seriously if you go to the ER all the time for panic attacks.   Don't feed into their interpretation of you.  Don't add fuel to their fire.

Take care.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Find a new hospital ASAP. These ppl sound like ppl who hate their jobs. I know they deal with alot but they're the ones who chose healthCARE as a career

Best wishes to you op. My parents treat me the same way. They act as if I make things up for attention or am too senstive. These kinds of stories make me really frustrated. Also why do docs put off getting to the bottom of things?

>:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Maryjo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you all for your responses. It's been haunting me since it happened and I can't get over the emotional pain and embarassment that I feel. I forgot to mention that one of the cysts had actually ruptured causing the pain and fluid in my stomach (that's what the er doctor said) I love my GP but sometimes I feel like she tends to blame other issues and when things are "accidentally" found she's really pro active. I'm pretty sure I know why the doctor from the accident was the way he was, when I went the last time and he was my doctor I was already scheduled for a renogram and the techs didn't do the test right so it showed "no obstruction" because they forgot to clamp my tube. I actually told my urologist that they more than likely thought I was a psych patient at that point. I think I might file a complaint but do you think it's too late to do so? I didn't right away because my doctor's office is affiliated with the hospital and I didn't want to cause anymore problems. The er doctor sent me a letter that I actually just got it says

"You have a urinary tract infection. I'm sending a prescription.
Please return if you need help. That's what we're here for.
Dr. Sullivan"

I'm thinking he was trying not to get in trouble for treating me so poorly. Because I left as soon as he left the room, I left sobbing. I do have ativan that I take but I had taken it before I called 911 and was still having issues, it was the worst attack of my life. I will never go back there unless I'm dying. My doctor is really busy and only works a few days a week so it's really hard to get in to her. I'm thinking I'm going to tell her how I was treated. Thanks again for the responses, I do feel a little relieved knowing that they can tell if it's just a cyst. :) hope you all have a great day everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: