Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: just when I thought I was having a good day, this happens....please help me out  (Read 248 times)

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
So, today I took a really important final exam today.....which pretty much determined if i passed the class or not. And I freaking passed. I was so overwhelmed with joy.

Welp, later on I was just hanging out at home, listening to some Reel Big Fish, and I started getting some upper abdominal pain.

Pretty much my first thought was: "oh god, this is how appendicitis starts"

so i started going through the check list. Shooting, sharp pain in my right side? Suddenly, I started feeling that exact thing.

tenderness? started pushing, and yup. It definitely hurt. At this point I was absolutely terrified.

eventually my mom came home and I told her everything. She said if it got worse we would go to the ER, although she informed me it's going to really suck because it would be packed. (we're currently going through a heat wave, and there would be tons of people with heat stroke and all those nice things.)

so I just hung out for a bit.

eventually, the upper pain went away, and it was just my side.

after some heavy breathing and lots of nervous pacing, I had a really powerful thought. What if my brain was the culprit for appendicitis-like symptoms, and I just magnified my simple stomach pain beyond that to fit my fears?

After that, my symptoms started to get better, and now i'm pretty much feeling normal.

So.....is anxiety truly this powerful? I had a similar experience like this a few weeks ago, and I noticed the same thing, that my symptoms only emerged when I was terrified.

I need some help  :traurig001:

Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
First - congratulations on passing your test!

Second - you're almost certainly right about EXACTLY how your anxiety worked to create the exact sensation you feared.  That's good in that you know what's going on and managed to avoid being totally tricked by it - but it sucks because anxiety is miserable. 

My usual MO is one of two things: asking some close to me if they think I'm having anxiety or a real health problem (because I know they take my health seriously but also know I'm a little nutty about potential health problems), which probably isn't the best method, or just telling myself "give it a day and see how it goes." 

It gets me through the day, anyway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
Thanks a bunch :)
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline I.Will.Win

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My therapist told me there have been studies of the power of fear. They took a control group of people with serious allergies with documented anxiety histories too. They then told them they had been exposed to what they were allergic too. As a result some had full blown allergic reactions. All because their mind THOUGHT they had been exposed.

She told me that to illustrate just how powerful our minds are. It is plugged into our body and controls everything. I use this example when I feel insecure about the reasons for my symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This is why the power of prayer works; it's the exact opposite of fear (and has been proven in studies).  I believe our minds (and a spirit if fear / joy) determine many disease outcomes and explain why any symptom seems 100x worse when you're afraid.  Congrats on healing!
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Read the book Dancing with Fear.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
Anyone else :c
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
aaaaaanybody?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
There was an episode of House on the other night where he and Cuddy were flying home from China and a guy got sick on the plane.  They thought he had menengitis and everyone on the plan started getting sick, even Cuddy , who is a doctor.

It was plain mass hysteria.  The guy didn't have menegitis, he had the bends from diving. 

The point is, the mind, as everyone has said, is very very powerful.  The mind controls our whole body.  Without the brain we would be a bunch of broccoli lying on the floor.  The brain controls our central nervous system which controls everything.

So what to do?  When I do this (what you did, and I have done it lots of times)  I try to be sensible.  I think, ok, did I have the symptoms BEFORE I started running them down in my head?  When dealing with the abodomen I always go to "is it gas?" because  90% of the time it is.  Does the pain get worse when I move around is it getting worse even if I'm not thinking about it?  If it isn't as bad when I'm not thinking about it, momentarily distracted for instance, then its totally anxiety.

I still have HA to a degree, but the cure, for me, was actually being diagnosed with a real disease.  You have less time and energy to worry about it when you have something real wrong with you. 

That doesn't mean I don't blow things out of proportion like I used to though.  Hope some of this helps!
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline Tori2103

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • ~ Tori ~
    • Poke This Member
I've had appendicitis, and I also have anxiety. Trust me, you'll know the difference. I suddenly just knew something was wrong. It wasn't the same as anxiety attacks. However, anxiety can definitely make you feel symptoms of what you're afraid of. The brain is a powerful thing. All pain gets processed through the brain. Anxiety can mimic countless symptoms. If you're feeling better, I assure you it is not appendicitis.

Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share
<3 Tori <3

AIM: Tori2103

Offline Maryjo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
 I had gone two years without a HA flare up so I was concerned something was wrong when my lower right side had started hurting. I waiting around for my husband to get home from work. The pain had become progressively worse, I've also thought I had appendicitis several times before and it turned out to be either cysts or nothing. Finally I couldn't take the pain I went in to the ER had a CTscan and they said I had a large cyst (on the left side)  and that I was fine other than that. I couldn't even walk out to the car after discharge and I was throwing up all over the place. Right as we were about to pull into our apartment complex my phone rang, I guess they re-checked my scan and my appendix was extremely inflamed. I went back and had my appendix out later that night. The doctor said I was really lucky because it was close to rupture. My WBC was off the chart. Trust me you'll know the pain is excruciating. I have to mention at the time I didn't have health insurance at the time, so I'm pretty sure that was why it was a delayed response.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
*update*

So, I still have the discomfort today. It only hurts when I move certain ways (for instance lifting my right leg, leaning over to my left, ect) It also hurts kinda when I walk.

I've dealt with these exact symptoms before, although this time it seems worse than before. Eventually they just go away in a few days and then i'm perfectly fine for awhile...until my next "attack" comes around.

These symptoms are so strange, and it really freaks me out. What also freaks me out is that I usually only get these symptoms after doing athletic stuff the previous day, so I thought it was a muscle pull. Welp, now that's gone out the window and it was the only glimmer of hope I had left. I'm terrified of going to the doctor, but I might have no choice.

I don't know what to do anymore...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: