Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: tense muscles  (Read 159 times)

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
tense muscles
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
I've been having headaches on and off for a couple of days now. Last night was horrible, it was very uncomfortable and I had to go to sleep early because I did not want to be awake feeling like that. Anyways, yesterday my gf gave me a shoulder massage and told me that my shoulders and neck are super tense. I'm 100 percent sure that this is my cause for my headaches. I called my insurance to get a number for a chiropractor but sadly my insurance doesn't cover chiropractors. What can I do to help it? I also tried doing stretches and boy are all my muscles tense lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline I.Will.Win

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: tense muscles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
I've been having headaches on and off for a couple of days now. Last night was horrible, it was very uncomfortable and I had to go to sleep early because I did not want to be awake feeling like that. Anyways, yesterday my gf gave me a shoulder massage and told me that my shoulders and neck are super tense. I'm 100 percent sure that this is my cause for my headaches. I called my insurance to get a number for a chiropractor but sadly my insurance doesn't cover chiropractors. What can I do to help it? I also tried doing stretches and boy are all my muscles tense lol.
I focus on getting in a relaxed setting and relaxing my whole body. Seems to help me. Visualize every muscle easing up and letting the anxiety go with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »
Thank you. I will try that .
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
Oh man, muscle tension seems to be my specialty. (Not in a good way!) I've probably always held tension in my neck & shoulders when stressed, which definitely causes headaches. In fact, after doing really well for a while, yesterday my neck & shoulders started tensing up. For me, this causes headaches, back tension & tingling in my right arm. Even if insurance doesn't cover it, I highly recommend seeing a massage therapist if this is a persistent issue. In my area, an hour massage is under $100 (& you can opt for a 30 minute session if money is really tight). I have a friend who is a massage therapist & after putting it off for months, I finally did not one, but two, sessions with her. The massage helped a lot, but the info she gave me about various muscles & where to work on them was an amazing help.

But realistically, since I can't get a massage every time I tense up, I started researching stretches & exercises I can do at home. I started doing these a few weeks ago to help with the neck & shoulder tension: http://www.mindfulwellnessmassageandbodywork.com/media/Neck,%20Shoulders%20&%20Arms%20Stretches%20001.jpg
They are quick, easy to do & really help you loosen up. I do them first thing in the morning now every day before I start my other exercises (I started a routine to help with my anxiety & muscle tension because I'm a mess.). I do them again during the day if I feel tense.

And if you can get your girlfriend to do more massage for you, try having her work on your shoulder blade (almost underneath it). There's a connection between there & your neck. (If you can reach it well enough on your own, you can do it -- it's just easier & more relaxing to have someone else work on it!) And gently massaging your armpit area might help your shoulders. Seriously, try it! Good luck -- I know how awful it feels...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »
I agree - if you can set it up - get a massage ASAP.  My muscles were very very tense a few weeks back, I got a massage and it did help. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
I should be getting money in a couple of days so I'll look around my town and pay for a therapist.
I saved that picture on my phone and will try them later tonight. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
Hot showers, as hot as you can tolerate, is often helpful for me and my mom (we both have similar problems to yours).  I also use those vibrating massagers you can get at the drug store - they're pretty cheap and I find them effective.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
I had this same problem a couple years ago.  For a month I thought I had a sinus infection.  I even had a CT scan of my sinuses which showed nothing.

A friend had this back massager thing; I tried it and it took away my pain almost overnight.

http://amzn.com/B0010B8CGM

So I bought one and I've never had the problem again.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: