Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Neuro won't give me refill of Ativan GGRRRRR  (Read 337 times)

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Neuro won't give me refill of Ativan GGRRRRR
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »
I went to my neuro back  in december for headaches and trigger point treatment and gave me a prescription for anxiety of ativan, only 30 pills. I have used them ONLY when I feel panicky. I have 1 pill left and I am freaking out. I called today and they denied a refill saying that I need to go back. Well I won't be going back because he stop taking insurance so I would have to pay $350 out of pocket.

I started lexapro 2 weeks ago and I had increased anxiety with it. So I used 6 pills in the last 2 weeks. I had a panic attack last night and took 2 pills.... now I only have one left  >:(

What should I do????? do you think if I call my family doctor, who prescribe the lexapro, and tell the story and how I have some increased anxiety with the lexapro they will give me a prescription of Ativan on the phone?????
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Online rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Neuro won't give me refill of Ativan GGRRRRR
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
I have a hate relationship with docs/meds.  They'll give them-get yiu dependent-then not refill and leave you to deal with it.  Makes my blood boil.  I feel only shrinks/nueros should able to prescribe that stuff.  Most others dont really have the expertise to be handing them out like candy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
sorry you are having difficulty.

problem is benzoes are controlled substances.  Docs have to document those type meds to the powers that be--DEA maybe/state/fed gov--not sure who.  Part of documentation must be having seen the patient in the last 6 mo or a year.  Plus doc can't call them into the pharmacy.  You have to pick the script up from doctor office or doc can mail it directly to pharmacy.  My eldest takes diazepam 5mg.  I get 30 pills about once every 9 or 10 months from her neurologist.  Did you know new seizure meds that are put on the market are now 'controlled substance'   :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Your family Dr can definitely prescribe it but they may need to see you in the office for documentation purposes.  I've noticed that Drs are much less willing to call in scripts, they want to see you. 

It also depends on your state.  My daughter takes meds for ADHD and Ohio recently passed a law requiring her to see the Dr every 4 months instead of 6.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »
I hate how restricted these medications are now - I'm on a list now because I take klonopin, and apparently I need to be monitored to make sure I'm not a drug addict, like everyone else prescribed these medications!  Jeez. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »
I would call your internal medicine physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »
This is an issue, that I constantly face, and not too long ago, my elderly mother who is 75, faced with her general doctor.

Your Family Doctor is AFRAID of prescribing these, due to lawsuits.

You will have much better luck with your Psychiatrist (if you have one).

In my mother's case, I had to create a document that I called  "Patient's Rights to Access Essential Medication"

It basically asserted a patient's right to receive proper care and medication for the condition the Dr. diagnosed, and a liability disclaimer to be placed in her medical files that she understands the risks, and will follow the proper use of the medication AT THERAPEUTIC levels, and that she will not hold the Dr. responsible for any side effects, and releases the dr. from any Legal Liability.

It Actually Worked  :grinning-smiley-003: - This was for Lorazepam .5 mg tables, 3 tablets - twice a day, which allows my elderly mother to have some extras that we hold for her:  My mother was getting desperately anxious every month, because she was at the mercy of the Doctors and she was down to her last pill, now I have at least a 6 month supply for her if the Dr. stops prescribing them.

This Letter along with coming "in person" and building a trust relationship = allowed her General Family Doctor to feel comfortable enough to write her out the prescription.

Yes, It is a lot of work!   :angry: 

But, we don't have this "I am down to my last pill anxiety" - which is ridiculous  B-;

Anyways,  I hope this helps, if you visit your doctor personally and explain the situation, I am sure the dr. will give you a refill, but then next month you might need again  :dazed:

If you want any further details, I would be happy to go into more details, you can PM me.

Good Luck, and assert your rights as a Patient!!   :action-smiley-065:

Let us know, your progress...
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
Thanks guys. Yes I am down to ONE pill.... it's scary.... I am just hoping the lexapro kicks in soon so I can deal with the anxiety better!!!!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »
I have a hate relationship with docs/meds.  They'll give them-get yiu dependent-then not refill and leave you to deal with it.  Makes my blood boil.  I feel only shrinks/nueros should able to prescribe that stuff.  Most others dont really have the expertise to be handing them out like candy.

Most don't "hand them out like candy" and in fact are quiet cautious about benzodiazepines. Yes people have bad experiences and that's what sticks in the mind, the bad cases. It would be fine if only psychiatrists prescribed psychiatric medication--if there was enough access for patients who needed their services. That is far from the case. The wait to see a psychiatrist can be months, months that some people don't have.  I think the biggest problem is the 15 minute appointment paradigm that has become all too common in medicine. There is pressure to find a way to help a patient and fast. This appointment structure needs serious change.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
I went to my neuro back  in december for headaches and trigger point treatment and gave me a prescription for anxiety of ativan, only 30 pills. I have used them ONLY when I feel panicky. I have 1 pill left and I am freaking out. I called today and they denied a refill saying that I need to go back. Well I won't be going back because he stop taking insurance so I would have to pay $350 out of pocket.

I started lexapro 2 weeks ago and I had increased anxiety with it. So I used 6 pills in the last 2 weeks. I had a panic attack last night and took 2 pills.... now I only have one left  >:(

What should I do????? do you think if I call my family doctor, who prescribe the lexapro, and tell the story and how I have some increased anxiety with the lexapro they will give me a prescription of Ativan on the phone?????

Maybe they will, but more likely they will want to see you. I don't see that there is a problem with that. I can see why this is frustrating for you. I think perhaps a refill of four or five pills would have been kind of them, but otherwise I see nothing inappropriate in this......it is appropriate for a medical practitioner to see a patient they are managing medication on. I'm sorry to hear they don't take your insurance though :( very frustrating
Bookmark and Share

Tags: