Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety After Exercise  (Read 135 times)

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety After Exercise
« on: June 18, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
Hello,
I just started doing a boot camp style workout program (very similar to CrossFit). I tend to get REALLY bad anxiety afterwards and I'm not sure why. It takes me a long time to recover from the anxiety. I've always been a heart worrier so I've been trying to confront the fear. It's a pretty strenuous program but I scale it to my own level. I worry about "overdoing it" and developing rhabdomyolysis or something. Anyone else struggle with this? I'm 24 years old, 5'9", 155 lbs and very healthy but I'm out of shape (my heart rate takes a while to get back down to resting rate because of this). I did CrossFit last summer and never had any problems besides the occasional minor injuries and muscle soreness (this boot camp program is a little less crazy than CrossFit which is why I like it). Anyone struggle with this? Maybe it's just a hard, tough road to confront my fears.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety After Exercise
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
Hello. I just had a conversation with my therapist about this. I told her that exercise makes me anxious especially when I'm doing it. She told me that's its normal to worry about that when you have anxiety but if you're healthy and don't have any heart problems then really the problem is your thoughts and not exercising. Do you start to think those negative thoughts when exercising? I know I do, which makes me start to panic when I'm exercising. She told me to just try to push through because exercise is very important to recovery. She also told me that it'll take a little while before you actually start feeling better because of the exercising. So maybe you should start small? So you can get used to the way exercising makes you feel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
Does same thing to me. Glad the therapist told you this. Makes me feel better. :)
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
That's very interesting. Yes, I tend to get a little nervous before I start to exercise ("What if I have a panic attack during the exercise program and everyone laughs at me or we have to call 911?", "What if I really do have a heart condition?", etc.) and my heart rate goes up pretty quickly when we start. During the middle of the workout, I usually do well but it's always afterwards. It seems to take 30-60 minutes for my heart rate to get back to the resting level (apparently this is normal when you haven't been exercising a lot recently like me; it takes less time as you get more in-shape with continuation of the exercise routine/regimen) and sometimes I have other symptoms that accompany (derealization, legs feel strange, stomach feels weird, etc.). Glad to hear that from your therapist, shaggy.

Just for the record: I've had 4 EKGs, a stress EKG, blood tests, and 2 chest x-rays. All have shown that I'm VERY healthy (everything in my blood work is in the "optimal" or best range, although I eat really healthy for the most part, being a hypochondriac). I also just got a full scale heart evaluation today on my own choosing (echocardiogram, arterial scans, EKG, lipid panel) and have to wait 10 days for those results, JUST to be sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »
Wow. That's exactly how I am. I get that out of it feeling too after exercising. I wonder why it happens?
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »
Hi everyone, I responded to another post, about someone who was actually having a real serious Panic Attacks  - while exercising, and some people just get a little bit of anxiety.

I just wanted to put in my  :twocents: 2 Cents and share some information.

I know I have a little bit of Anxiety after or during a workout, but it is not anything close to a Panic Attack where you feel you can't breath and you rush yourself over to the E.R. (like I used to do  :sick0002:)

Working out for me turned out to be a real struggle after years of working out without any problems,  then out of the blue, I started having  "Exercise Induced Panic Attacks" - which is a chemical reaction that your body goes through.

Here is my story:

Many years ago I would love to workout but found myself in ER, when I would exercise vigorously... After the ER got tired of seeing my face, I went to a neurologist (in 1979) to later find out that the Lactic Acid being produced naturally by my body while I was EXERCISING - was triggering massive panic attacks.

Today, we now know that there is a  direct connection for some lucky people like myself, that produce high levels of Lactic Acid = Panic Attacks.

If anxiety keeps getting worst over time when you workout, you might want to be aware of this "Lactic Acid Induced Panic Attacks"  That at time, I never even new existed  :question:

Again, I don't think it very common, but if the anxiety caused by exercise starts to get out control into Panic and it starts to prevent you from exercising - then it would be good to know - since this can now be easily managed. 

I found the following link helpful and interesting - about a person who is able to control Exercise Induced Panic Attacks with WATER - H2O :yes:

http://www.thechurchesofgod.com/HOW%20TO%20STOP%20PANIC%20ATTACKS%20FOREVER.htm

"I used to have panic attacks and really bad anxiety. I found a simple solution by accident. If I felt extreme anxiety or a panic attack coming on, I would drink 1 or 2 glasses of water straight down, and it stopped it every time. In about 2 minutes I would feel a calm come over me. It has never failed me yet. I found that eating foods high in sodium can trigger anxiety, or just being dehydrated can trigger anxiety and even full blown panic attacks. Come to find out, dehydration is a major cause of fearful feeling, hyperventilation and anxiety. I try to drink more all day long now, and I have no anxiety or panic attacks anymore. Good luck! "

Hope you find this information helpful:action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: