Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Very scared. Chest pains and other symptoms  (Read 139 times)

Offline 8-bit Hero

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Very scared. Chest pains and other symptoms
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
I've been trying to ignore it but the anxiety from it has become too much and is very negatively affecting my life now. I'm a 27 male, overweight and have been getting strange pains for about 3 weeks now. Whenever I breathe in very deeply or stretch in a way that expands the chest, I get a sudden pain in the slightly left middle side of my chest, just under the breast. As well as ear aches and phlegm for a while. I don't smoke cigarettes or drink. I've already made a doctors appointment but that doesn't calm my anxiety down (it just makes it worse until I go) and I'm almost too scared to go. The pain is a bruised kind of feeling, it doesn't really feel like my heart and it's different from anxiety related pains I've had.

I'm just really worried considering where it is and the length. I don't want to go at this point because I can't think of anything rational it could be that isn't serious. It hasn't gotten any worse, really or changed much at all but still hurts.

I'm honestly almost too worried to post this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Heg

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very scared. Chest pains and other symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
I wouldn't worry. From the sounds of it it's much more likely that the muscles inbetween your ribs ("intercostal muscles" if you want to look them up) are a bit strained - something that wont get better if you keep deliberately stretching them out! I've periodically had moments where it feels like my chest hurts as well in the same way as you - pain when I try and stretch my chest, but it makes a lot more sense for it to be rib pain like this than a heart issue. I don't think a heart issue would pay much attention to how deeply you're breathing, and would at least be painful at the actual location of the heart as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 8-bit Hero

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
Thank you for your reply. It's around where the ribs are, and the pain popped up after something that might have stretched and made that area sore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »
I have something similar.  A doctor once told me it was costchondritis, but I'm not sure.  It's a sore spot on the left side of my sternum/breast area.  It will ache and it will also hurt to the touch.  When I get anxious, it starts to hurt along with pain in my left arm and back. 

Very scary feeling, I know.  Just try to calm yourself down.  I'm sure everything will be just fine.  So much goes on inside our bodies when we are anxious and we can't even begin to imagine the physical pains that come from that.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: