Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Negative thinking - Doing it to myself  (Read 91 times)

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Negative thinking - Doing it to myself
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
So I have "stumbled" upon something that I do that feeds greatly into my anxiety.

When I am by myself (taking a walk, driving the car, etc.) and my mind wanders from topic to topic, I have started to catch myself thinking terrible things:  Getting into fights with my friends or family, something bad happening to the kids, crashing the car... all kinds of horrible things.  I have to "SNAP" myself out of it and literally say to myself STOP THINKING STUPID STUFF.  If I don't catch myself, I go though the whole bad story, and then move onto something else... I THINK my body / brain, however, DON'T move on, and go into PANIC MODE as if the horrible story I was playing in my mind was REAL.  Suddenly I have an anxiety attach or my physical symptoms start bothering me or whatnot.  (and not always remembering that I was "playing" this bad story in my head, I have no clue why I am panicking.....

I have no clue why I play these "disaster stories" in my head.  I am learning to stop them when they happen, but I fear that they happen more often than I am aware of.  I think this is a HUGH clue to my anxiety.  It's like I am intentionally pouring gas on the fire.

Anyone else fighting this battle?

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Negative thinking - Doing it to myself
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:38:49 PM »
Have you ever been diagnosed with OCD?  Those sorts of intrusive thoughts are very common.  Hell, even if you haven't been, it seems to come with some peoples' anxiety.  I've had intrusive horrible thoughts since I was middle school aged.  Regardless of your cause you might check the OCD forum here for tips on dealing with them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: