Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: question for the ladies  (Read 143 times)

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
question for the ladies
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
Right now I'm having a horrible bout of anxiety due to a fear of Inflammatory Breast Cancer.  I have had a red spot on the very top of my breast (near the chest wall) for going on 2 weeks.  It doesn't itch, isn't raised, hasn't changed in size.  I've been to the gyn who said she's only seen 2 cases of this type of cancer in her 20 years (it's rare), but that my breasts feel normal, and those with IBC feel "different. 
She said she's not concerned, but since I am, she is sending me for a second opinion with the general surgeon.  The same guy that took my gallbladder out (how reassuring)

Anyways, the more I Google, the more I realize I have more symptoms. 
Granted, some of them I've had for a long time (IBC is very aggressive), but now it worries me.  My question is, do any of you ever have itchy nipple (one side more so than the other), or random breast pain when it's not period time?  My breast that I'm worried about does randomly itch, especially the nipple area, and I get tenderness and random pains even when it's not period time.
Any feedback would be so much appreciated!!!
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: question for the ladies
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »
Breast cancer runs in my family.  My mother had it at 43 and had a masectomy. 

I was terrified for years to even get a mammogram.  I waited until last summer (45 years of age) to get my first one.  I was having pain under my armpit on one side and breast pain along with discharge.  If you Google discharge from one breast it comes back with breast cancer so you can imagine my fear.  Turns out that everything was normal.  I believe it was all hormonal. 

If your doctor said she feels everything is fine, I would trust that.  I know it's hard to do, though.  Maybe after you get reassurance from the surgeon you'll feel better.  Don't Google, though.  That will only cause your anxiety to soar.  It will start to make you feel things you really aren't feeling. 

I hope you get an answer soon and can ease your mind.  I think your doctor is right, though.  You would definitely know if you had IBC.  I don't think it's a situation of wondering if you have it or not.....you would know.   

Try to relax because I'm sure everything is just fine. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
Thanks for replying!  Did they tell you what your issue was exactly?  I have underarm discomfort on the same side as my breast discomfort.  My gyn just felt me up pretty good under there, so I'm sure there's no swollen lymph nodes. 
Bookmark and Share

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
No, they never told me what was causing all of my symptoms.  However, after I had the mammogram, I haven't felt any of those symptoms again.

I really think that I was so worried and worked up, that my mind created many of those symptoms. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline AlaskaMom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
Oh I have a very itchy nipple on my right breast! I asked my dr about it last month and had a complete mammogram and sonogram and nothing was there, except for the usual benign cysts. I don't know what causes it, but it drives me crazy!! Sometimes it feels like the itch is on top of the skin and sometimes it feels like it's deep inside. Drives me nuts!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: