Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dealing with other anxious people in your life  (Read 118 times)

Offline lazylady42

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • "It's always something"
    • Poke This Member
Dealing with other anxious people in your life
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
Anyone else find that other people's worries trigger your anxiety and how do you deal with them? I sometimes have a hard time separating others anxieties from my own so that they end up becoming my worries too. I've gotten better at recognizing when other people are worrying (such as making assertions based on predicting the future or jumping to extreme conclusions without any evidence). In fact I think it's usually easier for me to recognize worries in others than in myself at this point.

However I'm still struggling a lot with not letting their worries effect me mentally or emotionally. I've been working with my therapist to practice techniques to step back when others worry (I use a lot of self talk) but it's still something I struggle with a lot. I definitely learned/inherited my anxious behaviors from my mom (who even was diagnosed with panic attacks like me but refuses to seek any treatment for them) and after an entire life of internalizing her anxious thought patterns it's a hard habit to break. She is still the person I have the hardest time stepping back from when they start to worry.

Does anyone else find that certain people trigger their anxiety more than others? Or have a hard time separating others worries from their own? And what things have you found help you cope with them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dealing with other anxious people in your life
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
Hi, I had a conflict recently.  The friend was not anxious but very hyper and she made me more nervous.  I told her this and that I
needed to be with people who were mellow, peaceful.  Ultimately we had to go separate ways.  There might be a point in the future
to reconcile, but not while I'm dealing with my anxiety stuff.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smile161

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »
I have noticed that when I'm worried about something, I get anxious (obviously).  If my husband isn't worried about it, my anxiety level goes down a bit. When he is worried about it, my anxiety goes through the roof! So yes, when I'm not anxious about something and my husband comes to me with it, it's a definite trigger. Unfortunately,  I haven't yet found a way of dealing with my anxieties  :(
Bookmark and Share
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Offline ECee

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hello :)
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:35:18 AM »
My best friend has anxiety also, and our worries become each other's worries as well. However, we actually both work it out very well where we do our best to not let our anxieties intersect each other. If one of us are in a bad place we of course confide in each other, but we both somehow end up feeling better after we do. I guess I'm lucky that way.

Although I used to be close with another friend who had very bad anxiety too (plus other mental health problems) and she was the one that also triggered my anxiety as well, because I got a little emotionally invested with helping her out with problems. It was kind of horrible as it doubled my worries and anxiety, and what sucked the most was I couldn't let go because I cared about her.

I have some friends who I felt anxious around and unfortunately I've lost them, as anxiety ruined it for me. It's whatever, some of them weren't very supportive and just made jokes about me being afraid to leave the house.
Bookmark and Share
"I can unscrew the stars..."

Tags: