Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this still anxiety, or just depression?  (Read 311 times)

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this still anxiety, or just depression?
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:28:30 AM »
I didn't have any severe attacks over the course of the weekend, but instead, I felt very depressed and dead inside. Not much energy, or enthusiasm, I basically just didn't feel any good emotions, though at the same time, I blocked myself from feeling happy over anything. Even so, I didn't have an outright attack.

I don't know what to make of it, because I don't feel particularly great this way either.

Is it just more anxiety manifesting itself in different forms/emotions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this still anxiety, or just depression?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:16:56 AM »
The majority of people who have anxiety will usually have some depression they kinda go hand in hand I know for me I have had them both first the panic attacks started then the depression came but I have always had anxiety for the biggest part of my life.

Just make sure you get some help and don't let it continue and fight with all you have in you !! You will feel better over time!

take care
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
ive dealt with anxiety the majority of my time too. controlled it decently for 3 years then in april I had a random scary anxiety attack out of nowhere that just shook me. About a day later after it I was hit with depression. My anxiety was blocked out for about 2 months and all I was going through was depression. Now recently the depression has went down a lot and my anxiety is back. This is the second time ive dealt with this type of depression after I went through a anxiety attack. I think your going through a similar thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soccer_Dude

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
Hi,

I was hit with bad anxiety/panic out of nowhere (although I had some mild anxiety/nervousness for years prior), then the depression set it, and adrenal fatigue, etc....

I read an article by a MD actually about neurotransmitter replenishment (basically increasing your serotonin, dopamine, etc...levels) that at certain levels you might exerperience different symptoms. For example at one level you might have anxiety, at another headheaches, at another depression, but as you restore your levels you will eventually feel better.  Replenishing neurotransmitters has to do with using amino acids, and possibly supporting co-factors including certain vitamins and minerals.....

Depression can cause anxiety as you don't feel normal and that might set off some anxiousness.  Anxiety (especially severe and long term) can possibly cause you to burn up more of certain nutrients making you feel become depressed.  For me, I ended up with anxiety/panic, depression, insomnia, and adrenal fatigue.  :)

If you haven't gone on prescription meds yet, you might look at trying a natural approach to increasing your levels of neurotransmitters. It's working for me.   I had issues with meds.  And one problem with meds is if you are low in some of these neurotransmitters and your body isn't making enough, the meds might not work that well, or poop out quickly or take a very long time to work.

Here is some interesting info about replenishing neurotransmitters.  http://www.drkaslow.com/html/neurotransmitter_repletion.html

I would talk to a doctor about a proper nutritional program to go on rather than trying it yourself.  Most likely you will only find a ND to help you with this, not a MD.

There are other reasons why you could have some anxiety and/or depression.  Hormone imbalances, adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues.  If you can, you might get some basic testing done.  That way you are not guessing at what to support.....

The other key is don't wait. The longer you wait to treat yourself, the worse you could possibly get, and then the more difficult and longer it may take to feel better. This is what happened to me. So, if you can try some natural things for a while and feel better that might be a good approach.  If you are in really bad shape, then maybe some meds might be the way to start to calm things down.  Either way, work with a doctor.... No matter how bad you may feel, you can feel better.  Just finding the right treatment and being patient as your body recovers is key. 

If you haven't used meds yet, and want some natural suggestions let me know. I've tried MANY.  Some helped some didn't. But we are all different in how we may respond to something, but I can at least give you some suggestions of things to research  and possibly try.

Soccer
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
hi nomoretears and others,

I can relate to what you're saying.  The feeling of being dead inside.  Or being a bit frozen, not quite able to feel a part of the
life and friends around you.  Sometimes I explain that I can only feeling 65% of the joy I used to feeling in various parts of my life.
I was talking to some other anxious friends about this.  We both noted that our sense of humors
seemed frozen by our anxiety.  Has anyone noticed this?  It seems key.

So this is what I did today.  From the start of the day as I rode the bus to work, till I came home -- I've been kind of trying to call forth
my old sense of humor.  I'm buddhist so I also chanted to do that.  "Bring out my sense of humor.  Look for what's funny and sweet in the day."
And I found myself smiling through the day.  And now and then
being playful, fun.  I sought out the humor in situations.

I encourage folks to try it and see.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
Thanks again for the replies.

I can't say I've felt that great in the last week, I have continued to feel numb and depressed.

I just feel a lack of purpose in my life, and I can't seem to shake it. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soccer_Dude

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:02:14 AM »
nomoretears,

How have you been feeling lately?  If you are still feeling numb and depressed? Any anxiety?

Are you seeing a doctor? Taking meds, or something natural?

Soccer
Bookmark and Share

Offline artsyJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
I honestly believe that my depression and anxiety go hand in hand as well, but mine is more stimulated from anxiety. I spend copious amounts of time trying to suppress my anxiety that I suppress all other emotions causing me to feel dead inside. This may be what you are going through as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LO87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:04 AM »
When I felt down last Christmas, my therapist told me sometimes when our anxiety levels lower, the emotions behind it begin to surface. So if your anxiety stems from a distressing event or many events all in one, it could be the other feelings coming through. For example my anxiety was from not being able to find a job. So when the anxiety faded, I felt hopeless, like I had nothing to look forward to and that I would never find a job. So of course I got scared that I had depression as well. My therapist told me to start planning out my week to feel more accomplished when I completed all the tasks I set myself, but more importantly, she told me this often happens with anxiety, and that low moods/feeling down is quite common. Sure enough, a few weeks after it went away never to return. So it's not always depression--sometimes anxiety just comes with low points. But if you've been down for a while, don't worry. There are lots of excellent techniques to combat that as well as anxiety. In fact people say cbt helps with depression even more than anxiety! So hang in there-- if you don't have a therapist theres great online cbt courses. You will be okay :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »
I think the anxiety has subsided a slight bit, but it's still not where it should be yet..  :angel-smiley-006:

Thanks for the replies, the advice from your therapist definitely seems to make some sense.

If it's not total anxiety, it seems to be total depression (at least at present time), it's frustrating knowing I could feel even better than this..  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: