Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried I have some kind of messed up illness  (Read 159 times)

Offline Mikeyc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried I have some kind of messed up illness
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but have been reading your stuff and its helped me a lot thought I'd join. So my ride on anxiety started probably about 3 months ago when I experienced what was a mild panic attack. I've been to the doctors 8 times since, hospital once. So it started off with me going fishing and fighting a huge game fish probably about 150kg a week after that all of my muscles were so damn sore each and every one. I tore my chest and back muscles. It started off with me googling my symptoms as I had a pain above my lung.

Google told me I had LUNG cancer! So I went to the doctors and got a chest x-ray nothing abnormal whatsoever. My doctor laughed when he thought I had lung cancer (I'm 18 and have smoked for 3 years).

Still worried that I was dying I stressed out more, then came the night that changed my life forever, I woke up at about 2:30AM soaked in sweat, terrified, trembling.

I googled night sweats and boom I have leukaemia, I went to the doctors and got a blood test, my blood test was fine except high blood sugar (I ate chocolate when I was meant to be fasting)

About a week after that I thought I had bowel cancer due to IBS problems.

After that I started having muscle twitches , tingling, all through my body everywhere.

Then I started having vision problems I went to an optometrist then an ophthalmologist. Both have seen nothing wrong no bulging optic nerve.

Then about two weeks later I went to the ER where they did a cat scan and found nothing!! (Scared of brain tumour)

And then that brings me to now. The doctor at the hospital checked my reflexes and did muscle strength tests everything was normal

Now I think I have either a spinal tumour, MS or even worse ALS.
I can still run up and down a flight of stairs, lift weights and walk, it feels slightly awkward and clumsy to walk but I'm not falling over or anything , I can still use the gas pedal in the car , stand on my toes and walk on my heels.

Everything seems worse, I think
I have a perceived loss of sensation. Food doesn't taste as good and I'm just over it. I'm 18. I've never had anything SERIOUS in my life. My emotions feel dead and it just sucks.

Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried I have some kind of messed up illness
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
get checked for lymes disease. Everything started after your fishing excursion so lymes could be a possibility as well as giardia if you had diarrhea when you mention the IBS symptoms. Those things will also cause disrupted sleep, night sweats, and sore muscles/joint pain. No treatment is necessary for giardia. Get checked for lymes. If positive lymes then take antibiotic. Take care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:00:44 PM »
While a Lyme test is a good idea, this is also just pretty classic health anxiety patterns.  One fear resolves and you find another one. 

I can tell you for sure you don't have ALS.  You should probably talk to a doctor about your anxiety.  They can give you the name of someone who can teach you how to deal with it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mikeyc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »
Now that you guys have mentioned this lymes thing I have had several random rashes since then
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »
yeah you should get checked for lymes. Rashes can also be just random normal dermatitis that everyone gets. Could also be a reactive process following a post-infective state like for a period of months after getting norovirus or strep or some other common random illness but will eventually stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »
WOW you have quite the list of illnesses you have 'had' or feared.   All starting off with tearing muscles and being damned sore.   Things like hurting oneself can trigger the disease fear cycle.  Truth be known I believe all of these things (minus being sore from fighting a game fish) are products of your body reacting physically to stress or over anxious thinking.  I've been a member here for years and have seen posts like this very often.  You obviously can go and get more blood work, that is your prerogative.   

Btw... my youngest (9 at the time) was dx'd with Lyme disease last year.  In late November '12, she began experiencing severe joint pain.  I mean the kind that her wrists hurt so bad she couldn't support herself getting out of the bath tub.  I took her to the ped and she ran all sorts of blood tests that could cause such pain (one was the blood level strep--was neg).   Several tests came back positive or high.... her platelets were up, ESR was elevated and she had a positive ANA.  Which points to an inflammation process at work. That sent us to a rheumatologist.  She told us that numbers like this ALWAYS mean something.  AT this point bloods were drawn again with lyme titers.  That came back positive.  She was on amoxicillin for 6 months.   She is still seen by the rheumy.  She has another round of blood tests coming up Friday.  At any rate, my two cents.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: