Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Did a brown recluse bite me?  (Read 170 times)

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
Did a brown recluse bite me?
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »
Today I caught a brown almost translucent  spider that looked like either a hobo spider or a brown recluse. Brown recluses's are not indigineous to my area of canada, so facts woudl tell me it not one... but.... I have these 3 little bumps on my skin in a straight line. It makes me afraid, what if I was bitten by a brown recluse or a hobo spider? (they both produce similar results).  I have an ache in my leg into my knee (the bite marks are on my foot, the 3 bumps), but other then that i'm not experiencing any other discomfort. That little bugger moved fast though, I was lucky to find and kill him.

I killed and captured the spider... should I go to the hospital right now or can I stay home? I don't have money to go to the hospital.... and I have really bad anxiety around health. Please convince me not to go, at least for tonight. I need as much fact and logic and reason as you can muster, for I am truly terrified.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Did a brown recluse bite me?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
Brown recluses have a black violin pattern on their back and rarely bite.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »
In my experience, spider bites look more like one bump with two barely visible holes in it.  Like a mosquito bite, but two holes instead of one. 

Also, I don't know what kind of spider you caught and killed, but my family had an infestation of some kind of biting spiders (they were black so probably not the same), and, trust me, there was no mistaking the bites.  I won't go into detail, but my mom got one on her face, went to the doctor and he went "WOW that's ugly!"   :laugh3:  But they needed no treatment (except for our poor cat who got bit, but when you only weigh five pounds, anything that bites you packs a big punch!), ultimately they just had to heal on their own. 

Keep an eye on the suspected bite and see what happens, but even if you did get bitten, it's probably just your average 'round the house spider.  If you start feeling horrible pain - the kind of pain where you KNOW something is up and don't have to wonder if you need a doctor - or feeling really sick (again, the kind of sick where you don't question if you should see a doctor) out of nowhere, it's worth getting checked out. 

I should add that a friend of mine has been bitten by a brown recluse spider TWICE and lived to tell about it! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
In my experience, spider bites look more like one bump with two barely visible holes in it.  Like a mosquito bite, but two holes instead of one. 

Also, I don't know what kind of spider you caught and killed, but my family had an infestation of some kind of biting spiders (they were black so probably not the same), and, trust me, there was no mistaking the bites.  I won't go into detail, but my mom got one on her face, went to the doctor and he went "WOW that's ugly!"   :laugh3:  But they needed no treatment (except for our poor cat who got bit, but when you only weigh five pounds, anything that bites you packs a big punch!), ultimately they just had to heal on their own. 

Keep an eye on the suspected bite and see what happens, but even if you did get bitten, it's probably just your average 'round the house spider.  If you start feeling horrible pain - the kind of pain where you KNOW something is up and don't have to wonder if you need a doctor - or feeling really sick (again, the kind of sick where you don't question if you should see a doctor) out of nowhere, it's worth getting checked out. 

I should add that a friend of mine has been bitten by a brown recluse spider TWICE and lived to tell about it!

My leg is starting to ache a bit in the knee and muscle around it and I was bitten by something on the foot with 3 raised bumps there.... I don't know... I don't have a fever and I don't feel sick... and the pain in my leg is very minimal... and I can't afford the cab fare to get home... I need that money for food...

Are you sure I'll be okay at least until tommorow morning? the spider wasn't huge.... about the size of a dime maybe a little bigger with its legs.... and it moved so fast and tried to hide under stuff while i was stalking it to kill it.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
please please help guys i need to know whether to go to the hospital or not. my leg is starting to hurt a little more but i think that could just be the way i'm sitting... my legs ache sometimes but i donnno... its only a mild ache but still, i donno. I'm scared! But I don't have the cab fare to get home and would probably be stuck sitting in the waiting room for 6 hours until the bus's started running again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
It will get progressively worse if you've been bitten. You'll know before it becomes serious that something is seriously wrong.

I don't think you have. The pain around the bite is usually intense and it's very obvious.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline PandaNinja

Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
Thank you very much guys.... I called the telephone nurse and she said it could wait... and you know those telephone nurses, they're the first to send you to the hospital... so maybe i'm overthinking things....
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Like I said, if you have to ask or wonder, it's not serious and can wait for a normal doctor visit.  Brown recluse bites are nasty.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »
Brown recluse spiders are not usually small.or translucent...they are called fiddelback spiders because of the distinctive pattern on theirs back.  Their bite is VERY painful and their venom is necrotizing.  If you are bitten you will know it.  My grandmother was bitten and ...well...wow..you probably heard her screaming in Canada.  The after affects were gross but not life threatening and nothing they could help you with at the er.  Chances it was a recluse are Very slim, as with any bite keep it clean and apply antibiotic cream and you will.be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: