Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Was doing so well, but the ALS fears are back :(  (Read 215 times)

Offline sickofsickness

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Was doing so well, but the ALS fears are back :(
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:42:11 AM »
Hello everyone.

I had a huge ALS scare last year. I ended up seeing a Neuro who did an MRI and a strength test. He determined that an EMG wasn't even necessary because I was "quite strong" despite feeling weak. From that point ALS has not even been on my mind.

That is, until last week, when my left shin area started feeling extremely tight. If it were only tight while active I would probably be able to dismiss it as an overuse injury, but even now, as I sit on my couch, I cannot stretch my leg out completely without feeling the tightness. It's now at the point where I have to support myself on my right leg becsuse my left leg feels so weak.

Of course, I made the mistake of Googling, and I saw someone mention that some people with ALS experience shin tightness/weakness before foot drop. Now I'm scared that I'm experiencing the beginning stages of ALS. Any advice? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Was doing so well, but the ALS fears are back :(
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:21:59 AM »
I think you know, deep down, that this is not ALS. Your mind is just scaring you, and feeding it with Vitamin Google did not help!

Most likely this is an issue with either your muscles or your tendons. Whilst I really don't think it's anything serious that you should worry about, it might be worth seeing a doctor. In the meantime try cooling it with ice, and take some anti-inflammatory OTC drugs if you can - such as Ibuprofen :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
I've taken Ibuprofen but that hasn't helped. I'll intermittently feel searing pain in my hip so maybe it's a nerve issue?

I've been rationalizing but somehow I keep coming back to ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
I've had everything the past 5 months. Including nonstop twitching in calfs. How I wish I only had your symptoms...you don't have it. As were speaking I'm eating and noticed my lip twitching...
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
I've had everything the past 5 months. Including nonstop twitching in calfs. How I wish I only had your symptoms...you don't have it. As were speaking I'm eating and noticed my lip twitching...

Your symptoms are just as negligible.

OP, you're fine too.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline madmexican808

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
Hello everyone.

I had a huge ALS scare last year. I ended up seeing a Neuro who did an MRI and a strength test. He determined that an EMG wasn't even necessary because I was "quite strong" despite feeling weak. From that point ALS has not even been on my mind.

That is, until last week, when my left shin area started feeling extremely tight. If it were only tight while active I would probably be able to dismiss it as an overuse injury, but even now, as I sit on my couch, I cannot stretch my leg out completely without feeling the tightness. It's now at the point where I have to support myself on my right leg becsuse my left leg feels so weak.

Of course, I made the mistake of Googling, and I saw someone mention that some people with ALS experience shin tightness/weakness before foot drop. Now I'm scared that I'm experiencing the beginning stages of ALS. Any advice? :(

never heard of shin tightness before foot drop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. rap_Talon you're probably right...ALS was probably never a true concern deep down, despite my mind going to it. I had a huge ALS scare last year so I'm familiar with the symptoms, and I'm pretty sure whatever I have is not it.

Unfortunately, I've now moved on to bone cancer, as the pain in my shin area has become constant, and it becomes worse if I step with my left foot. I've had this pain consistently since last Thursday uninterrupted without any obvious cause and it only continues to get worse...if it continues for a few more days I definitely plan on getting an X-ray.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 04:15:14 AM »
Pain that becomes worse with movement is almost always to do with either muscles or tendons, because that is obviously the time when they are most in use. Serious, life-threatening illnesses have a huge effect on our bodies, and are much more likely to have constant, consistent levels of pain and discomfort.

That said, the amount of time you've had it, and the fact it sounds like it's been constant, I would think getting an x-ray would be wise. It'll put your mind at rest, and, although I'm certain we're not talking about anything serious, there's always the chance something like this could  be a fracture  or a bad pull :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »
You do not have ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
Pain that becomes worse with movement is almost always to do with either muscles or tendons, because that is obviously the time when they are most in use. Serious, life-threatening illnesses have a huge effect on our bodies, and are much more likely to have constant, consistent levels of pain and discomfort.

That said, the amount of time you've had it, and the fact it sounds like it's been constant, I would think getting an x-ray would be wise. It'll put your mind at rest, and, although I'm certain we're not talking about anything serious, there's always the chance something like this could  be a fracture  or a bad pull :/

I agree.  Good post.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Tags: