Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Floor dropping sensation  (Read 322 times)

Offline ajd210

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Floor dropping sensation
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
For about six months, when I am standing or walking a couple steps I get this sensation that the floor is dropping a couple inches. Its similar to when you're riding an elevator and when it gets to the top you feel that sudden drop. The feeling never goes away, some days it's better than others but I still get it. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if anxiety can actually be the cause.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Floor dropping sensation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
ive been getting this lately. even if i stand still, it feels like im in a elevator. im hoping its just anxiety because my anxiety has been pretty bad lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
Sounds like classic but mild vertigo due to either hormones or middle ear issue.  It could also be nothing... Just one of those peculiar things that we all have.  I'm glad its not getting worse - a very ggood sign.  Have your doc check your ears.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »
I've had that before.  I'm not sure if it's anxiety or my ears being clogged from allergies, but I've always assumed it's one of those.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »
I get this too!! I had a hard time trying to explain it so I never mentioned it here lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
I know that sensation all too well. I had it when I had my sinus infection and allergies cause it as well. Anxiety does too. You ought to go have your ears checked. It can come from fluid behind the ear drum as well. It's a very annoying feeling. I always noticed it less outside and worse in the shower! Now and then I still get it. I think it's cause of my allergies and anxiety does make it worse.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline ajd210

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »
I've actually gotten my ears checked and all tests came back negative :( I do seem to notice it less when I am outside but also in the shower.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »
Probably stupid anxiety then. Read this.

sensation:
You feel (or suddenly feel) dizzy, lightheaded, faint, off balance, unsteady, that you might faint or pass out, or that you might fall over. It might also feel as though you are walking on a boat on water, that the floor beneath you feels like it is moving up and down or side to side, that you feel your legs may not support you, that you are unsteady, that it’s hard to keep your balance, or that your body is floating in the air.

You might also have difficulty placing your feet because your perception of the ground or floor may seem wrong or incorrect. In some cases, it may seem that even though you are standing on a firm floor, the floor may be vibrating or moving, the room may appear to be moving or rocking, or the surroundings around you seem to be moving, shaking, rocking, or vibrating.

While you haven't passed out yet, you think you might. The prospect may frighten you. You may also think, "What if I pass out, what will everyone think of me?" The thought of passing out frightens you, which can cause more symptoms and fear.

This symptom can also be experienced as a dizzy/lightheaded ‘spell,’ that is like having a sudden feeling of being dizzy/lightheaded that then disappears.

This symptom and/or ‘spells’ can come and go suddenly, come and linger, or come and remain for some time. This symptom and/or ‘spells’ might occur rarely, frequently, or persistently.

This symptom can also be characterized as having ‘episodes’ of dizziness/lightheadedness/feeling like you are going to pass out that come and go, or come and eventually ease off, even if only slightly. Even people who experience persistent dizziness/lightheadedness/feeling like you are going to pass out notice that they experience waves (episodes) of increases and decreases of this symptom.

Those who experience this symptom persistently still can notice increases and decreases in severity associated with ‘waves’ or ‘episodes’ of intensity. Sometimes the intensity can increase for an extended period of time, such as days before the intensity decreases again.

Some people experience episodes of this symptom in association with an increase and decrease in their anxiety and stress (this symptom’s intensity and severity increases and decreases with the intensity of their anxiety and stress), whereas others experience persistent dizziness regardless of an increase or decrease in anxiety and stress.

All variations and combinations of the above are common.

5. Stress hormone overstimulation can negatively affect the nervous system, which is responsible for the body’s equilibrium. In addition to the many other tasks, the body’s nervous system is responsible for sensory information (the sensations we receive and experience) and the body’s equilibrium (sense of balance). When the nervous system is healthy, it generally does a good job of managing sensory information and providing a stable sense of balance in spite of our ever-changing environment (temperature, sounds, touch, other stimuli) and body position (standing, sitting, lying, bending over, etc.).

Dizziness, lightheaded, faint, feeling dizzy, feeling like you might pass out, head feels like it is swimming or spinning, you feel off balance, you feel unsteady, you feel like your body is floating - p4

When the nervous system becomes abnormally stressed, however, it can act erratically and more involuntarily than normal, which can cause sensory and equilibrium anomalies, such as the odd sensations and feelings associated with this symptom.

And since the nervous system uses visual cues to help it establish balance, when we close our eyes, an overstimulated nervous system has a harder time finding equilibrium.  This is why many anxious personalities who experience dizziness and motion symptoms find their symptoms subside somewhat when they focus on a distant object that is stable. This stable visual cue can help an overstimulated nervous system find its “balance.”

This is also the reason why we can become somewhat “dizzy” when we watch something that is moving, when we move our head, and when we change positions—because movement and changed positions cause an overstimulated nervous system more difficulty in re-establishing balance.

6. Stress hormones have an adverse affect on neurons, causing them to misbehave. The nervous system is primarily made up of neurons, which operate on the principles of electrochemical interaction (electricity and chemical interaction). Because of this electrochemical makeup, they have the ability to gather and transmit messages to each other. When the nervous system is healthy, neurons act and communicate normally. Normal functioning allows us to think, feel, and move normally.

But because of their electrochemical properties, neurons are particularly sensitive to stress hormone stimulation. So when they become overstimulated, they can act erratically and more involuntarily than normal. This erratic and more involuntary neurological behavior can cause a wide range of unusual sensory-based sensations and symptoms, including those associated with this symptom.

Remedies:
While these sensations can be disconcerting, they aren’t harmful or an indication of something more serious. They are simply the negative consequences of a stress hormone overstimulated nervous system. Once the nervous system has calmed down and has been given sufficient time to repair itself, it ceases its erratic and more involuntary behavior, which eliminates abnormal sensations and symptoms, including those associated with this symptom.

Remember, anxiety sensations and symptoms are nothing more than the sensations and symptoms of abnormal stress. When you eliminate the body’s abnormally stressed state and give it time to recover, the abnormal behaviors associated with overstimulation cease, which puts an end to overstimulation-related sensations and symptoms, including this one.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Tags: