Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: SSRI Forever?  (Read 182 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
SSRI Forever?
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
OK, This is a main question for Ian, as it's something I've been struggling with mentally and then therefore probably creating anxiety that I'm trying to get rid of.

OK, SSRI's work by promoting growth of new cells damaged by stress hormones.  This is how I understand them.  IF that is how they work why would someone need to be on them forever after they're feeling good again.  My psych tells me one year of abnormal anxiety free and then it's ok to taper off slowly.  I'd rather not be on them forever but if they give me life back I'll be on them forever.  Not that big of a deal.

I've just read a ton of your answers Ian, and you always ask people how they will treat their anxiety after medication...  That's making an assumption that once abnormal anxiety exists it will never not exist without medication.  I'm seriously not trying to offend you or question your intelligence.  You're obviously very knowledgeable and very helpful to a lot of people. 

Personally, I've had periods of abnormal anxiety that lasted anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months a few times in my life, but nothing like this time that has lasted over 10 months now.  I know tons of people that have taken medication for it and then got better and stopped.  I'm sure you do too.  I'm sure most on here do and some on here reading this will fall into that category(Not many as I think once people are better they don't frequent this site as much, I know for me personally, when I have good times, I don't come here as much.)

Anyway, just wanting to open this to discussion.  I think it's more likely that people can get healed and get off medication and live a normal life.  You don't seem to think that way, am I wrong?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: SSRI Forever?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
I think it's more likely that people can get healed and get off medication and live a normal life.  You don't seem to think that way, am I wrong?

Many people develop and anxiety disorder or depression, have a course of treatment and go on to lead anxiety/depression free lives thereafter. But often, ime, they are chronic conditions which wax and wane, but which never completely go away.

As to whether meds should be taken continually, I think it is a useful strategy for those with reoccurring anxiety/depression. If medication is the chosen treatment then I think the first and second episodes should be treated with antidepressants for a year, but if it reoccurs for the third time then life-long treatment is perhaps the better option given the growing evidence that these meds become less effective each time they are stopped and restarted. There is little evidence that they do any long term harm. Certainly, about 28 years of taking tricyclics doesn't seem to have caused me any problems.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: SSRI Forever?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:23:16 PM »
Very wise again.  I've spent a lot of time pondering this.  I have a big yard and it takes me 3 hours to mow.  Today when I was mowing I was wrestling with this thought quite a bit and I thought I'd just put it out there.  I'm over 42 years old and I've lived my whole life anxiety/depression free other than about 2 months total that were related to family stressful events.  I have so many friends that have been through what I'm going through and now take nothing and tell me that I'll get there.  This is comforting and it's the way I believe.  I'm glad I asked you Ian, that makes perfect sense.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: