Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of the inner workings of machines  (Read 223 times)

Offline orangecounty

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Fear of the inner workings of machines
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
This phobia doesn't affect my life a whole lot and I can even laugh at it but I was wondering if anyone else had the same phobia. I get really creeped out by the inner workings on machines, say an elevator that's out of order and the doors are open and you can see all the inside of the elevator that you don't usually see. Today I was at a department store and part of an escalator was out of order, fine, I walked by it and then noticed that 2 panels had been removed and it totally creeped me out, LOL I don't know why it creeps me out so much, it's like something I feel I'm not supposed to see. I don't have issues with other machines, if I visited a factory, it wouldn't bother me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of the inner workings of machines
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:29:12 AM »
You might be seeing the simple part of how such big things work. Looking and thinking ' that is all that holds all that together '. A lift for example. Just a lot of wires really. We depend on them to work the right way. You see these wires it may make you think about what brings you up and down in a building. Just the mind having a good think.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
I had a sort of similar fear when I was little, except instead of the inner workings of machines, it was the inner workings/the inside of ventilation systems. I used to be really scared of the fans in public bathrooms that made a lot of noise, and it would terrify me to try and look inside through the vent. Like I said, it's not nearly as bad now, but I definitely still feel uncomfortable sometimes whenever I go into a bathroom with a noisy fan.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orangecounty

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
Cuchculan, thanks for the advice. Like I said, it's weird because other "machines" don't bother me. It's when I'm looking at part of a machine that's usually covered up. Even the inside of computer sort of freaks me out. Rationally I know it's just pieces of metal and wires, like you said. I've never been able to figure out why it creeps me out so much. I think it must some how be related to my anxiety and the way my brain processes things.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: