Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: lower back pain  (Read 1411 times)

Offline RYN079

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
lower back pain
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am back as fear has come back with a vengeance.

About 4 weeks ago I started feeling some discomfort in my lower back area.  Some 2 weeks ago I lifted a heavy object and I hurt my back so badly I went to the doc who said it is muscular.  Two days ago I went back to the doc as I was freaking out who checked me again and confirmed it was muscular.  I had some thingling in my hand and he attributed it to anxiety which I have a lot.  Yesterday I started focusing on my left little toe as it felt like somewhat numb when I touch it and this freaked me out even worse.  Mostly my back pain is on the left when I bend forward or sit down but it is not debilitating.

Can someone attribute these symptoms to anxiety and not als or cancer please as I am a mess!  I read it could be lymphoma or something and my friend just passed away and I am feeling terrible.

Thanks in advance!
Bookmark and Share

Offline shardeni

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
Muscular lower back pain is very common.  It is the number one reason for drs visits so don't worry. It will subside in a week or so.
Bookmark and Share

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 01:24:37 AM »
What.

Related to ALS or cancer?

It would be harder for me to imagine a scenario in which they WERE related. Cancer is not my especial fear, however, and I don't know a great deal about it.

ALS-anxiety is a terror near and dear to me.

Torso-onset ALS is only matched in rarity by respiratory-onset. ALS is very, very much more often a distal-proximal disease. Not a proximal-distal.

Pain, the sort you're describing, is not a symptom. If it were compensatory pain you wouldn't feel it in the affected muscle.

This honestly struck me as absurd to include in your self-differential. I have NEVER heard of this as an initial symptom of ***. And with the extensiveness with which I've read about this disease, that's saying something huge.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
RYN079 - first of all let me say that I am sorry for the passing of your friend.  You are going thru a difficult time so some anxiety is natural.

that being said, the answer to your question is No.  These are not symptoms of anxiety - they are exactly what your doctor told you - symptoms of a muscular injury to your lower back due to the fact that you lifted a heavy object and injured yourself to the point where you sought medical attention.

To try and tie this to cancer or ALS is reaching beyond reaching.

Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and what you are going through .

Actually having lower back pain can be very painful and cause issues down the leg into the toes and I know this because I have a bad back and I feel it almost everyday and it isn't related to ALS or MS or even Cancer.

It does take time for the back to heal up and any movements can trigger it to painful again so try using moist heat on it and also stretches and do some muscle work outs to get the back better also if you have some issues with being over weight in the front the stomach pulls on the back or spine causing pain.

Hang in there and give it time to heal !
Take care
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline RYN079

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »
First of all I would like to thank everyone who replied back.

My back pain is still there and I also have some numbness/tingling in both of my little toes.  The pain moves from one side to another.  Could it be some kind of tumour in my spine or nerves, I am so worried?
Bookmark and Share

Online NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
First of all I would like to thank everyone who replied back.

My back pain is still there and I also have some numbness/tingling in both of my little toes.  The pain moves from one side to another.  Could it be some kind of tumour in my spine or nerves, I am so worried?

Your friend just passed: I'm very sorry.  You are having a stress related anxiety attack, and the muscles of the back are among the first muscles to be effected by this.  This is very, very common.  You must try not to be afraid of the symptoms and become sensitized to them; because then you will start an endless cycle of fear, sensitization and fear.  If you need to get something short term to calm your nerves.  You will be surprised to find that your back pain will probably disappear with it. 

You also might want to read up on spines and back pain by John Sarno MD.  He calls anxiety and pain and the other upset that comes from anxiety "TMS", so try not to get confused.  But Sarno's explanation on the strength of the spine and what does not cause what is really illuminating, especially if your stress likes to hitch a ride on your back.

Talk to others, maybe those who also knew your friend.  It will help with the grief and anxiety.

Bookmark and Share

Offline RYN079

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
Thanks neveragain2.  I can't really explain my pain/discomfort.  I know I can feel it moving around my lower back, buttocks and tight.

I have read that this could be cancer as my pain/discomfort has been going since about 2 weeks before I hurt myself.  I am so afraid and worried.

Bookmark and Share

Online NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
Thanks neveragain2.  I can't really explain my pain/discomfort.  I know I can feel it moving around my lower back, buttocks and tight.

I have read that this could be cancer as my pain/discomfort has been going since about 2 weeks before I hurt myself.  I am so afraid and worried.

Look, you can go get a full work up and I'll bet you a hundred Anxiety Dollars that nothing will be found.  Knowing that you have a nervous personality should be the first clue that the strange move about symptoms are classic anxiety illness symptoms.  If you really feel the need a blood test will deduce almost all cancers, but, again, you'll be seeking more reassurance, because that's how us anxiety folks are.

Take a look at the list of symptoms at the beginning of the forum, and see how many people have some very strange and similar things.

You must contain you fear, and you can only do that by accepting that you are nervously ill and that you are now sensitized to those symptoms.  Try to get on with goals; write them down if you must, and each day check them off, or better, take some real money and donate it to Anxiety Relief of some type, which will put the pain in your wallet and not elsewhere.

I ain't no doctor.  I can't even spell ducktor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: