Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Propranolol concerns  (Read 139 times)

Offline alper

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Propranolol concerns
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
I am particularly concerned about a medicine I was prescribed on Wednesday.
Due to an anxiety disorder I shake and panic a lot, so my doctor prescribed Propranolol. However upon reading the patient information I found that there is relation between taking Propranolol and smoking. I am a light smoker (One an evening mo-fr, but five or six on weekends days) and I'm too afraid to take my meds because of this. I know I'm supposed to speak to a doctor but I'm 16 and too afraid of doing so. Anyone on here who takes Propranolol and smokes what did your doctor say/do? I'm gonna put the meds on hold until I can be sure I won't collapse the minute I light a cigarette after my drugs.
Thankyou
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Propranolol concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
I've never smoked, but my mother does and she is taking Propranolol for anxiety. All the doctor told her was that it might interfere with the effectiveness of the drug, and that she should just be aware of any symptoms that she has after taking it. Apparently it can make the side-effects of it worse. There's no guarantee you'll have any of those anyway. You really should talk to a doctor though.

Either way, assuming you're on a low dose (10mg is usually the dose prescribed for anxiety), then I wouldn't think collapsing is something you should be worried about :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
I am a light smoker (One an evening mo-fr, but five or six on weekends days)

Then stop. Smoking makes anxiety worse, not better. The relief felt when lighting up isn't a decrease in anxiety levels, but the decrease in withdrawal anxiety overlaid on the background anxiety.

Secondly, as someone who has lost a lung to smoking, it isn't fun. A lobectomy is by far the most painful surgery there is, so painful that the wound is continually irrigated with local anesthetic for 3-4 days on top of the morphine. Yet you'll be grateful for all the pain because surgery is the only chance for a cure. Most don't have that option because their lung cancer is too advanced by the time it's detected. Chemo and radiation can buy a few extra months, but they are rarely curative. Only about 12% of those diagnosed with LC are still alive 5 years later. Far worse odds than playing Russian roulette with all but one chamber loaded!

And don't think you're out of the woods after surgery. Not only may the cancer reoccur with further surgery not being an option, but the loss of lung capacity has ongoing affects on the body, particularly the heart for the lungs act as shock absorbers reducing the back pressure from each contraction. So your heart enlarges which increases the odds of it failing.

I'm gonna put the meds on hold until I can be sure I won't collapse the minute I light a cigarette after my drugs.

The nicotine will only reduce the effectiveness of the propranolol. Propranolol is sometimes prescribed to help smokers quit.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline maegan.0314

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 03:04:55 AM »
Hello :action-smiley-065:

I take Propranolol PRN for panic/anxiety and I find it pretty helpful in conjunction with other medications and calming techniques. I do not smoke, however, your post caught my attention. I do not by any means want to tell you what to do, but I hope you may find this helpful. I used to smoke like maybe once a day or every other day. The smoking actually made my anxiety MUCH worse. When I stopped, my anxiety decreased significantly. And that was just smoking once maybe every other day. So you may want to try and see if it is helpful to stop the smoking. I know with anxiety, any small decrease can be very helpful.
Bookmark and Share
Just breathe.