Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Low Vitamin D  (Read 339 times)

Offline spongecake

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Low Vitamin D
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
Okay sooo I had a blood test recently. Everything came back normal except for apparently I have a Vitamin D deficiency. I only heard this over the phone, I have yet to speak to a doctor about the results. That's on Monday, and hopefully it will just be a case of 'sit in the sun a bit more' and not 'you're practically falling apart because you don't have any Vitamin D and you'll need to inject yourself daily' or whatever.

I looked up the symptoms of a vitamin D defieciency, and they are-

-General tiredness, vague aches and pains and a general sense of not being well are the common symptoms.
-In more severe deficiency (known as osteomalacia), there may be more severe pain and also weakness. Muscle weakness may cause difficulty in climbing stairs or getting up from the floor or a low chair, or can lead to the person walking with a waddling pattern.
-Bones can feel painful to moderate pressure (often more noticeable in the ribs or shin bones). Not uncommonly, people have a hairline fracture in the bone which is causing tenderness and pain. Bone pain often also occurs in the lower back, hips, pelvis, thighs and feet.

That first one in particular sounds like a lot of us. Maybe this is obvious and well known to everyone else, but I'd not heard too much about it. I just thought I'd give it a mention since maybe it's a problem other people here are having too, and could be contributing to the feeling of 'General sense of not being well'.

Yeah I hate that the answer to my problems really could just be 'go sit in the sun a bit you miserable shut in' but if that IS the answer I'll take it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Low Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »
My vitamin d tends to be low too. I take a supplement!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:06:01 AM »
I take between 4,000 and 6,000mcg per day of vitamin D as mine was low also.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »
I had my vitamin D levels checked in march of 2013. And my levels were very low (19) I was started on a Mega dose which is 50,000 ius once a week. After that was done I was instructed to just take a normal supplimebt. After reading about the amazing power of VD and all of the cancer fighting properties it has I was taking 3,000 ius a day. I had my levels rechecked this April and I was at 43 :) I would actually like to have a VD value above 60. That has been shown to really reduce you C risk by a lot. Siting in the sun is great, yes but I would highly recommend a daily vitamin D supplimebt as well.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »
Also wanted to add Vit D deficiency is a huge problem and so many people have this deficiency. I wish doctors would educate more on the amazing importance of the sunshine vitamin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
I have had a vitamin D issue for a while now.  Gets a little better in the summer.  My summer numbers are around 36, but my winter numbers are in the teens.  I take 1000iu Vitamin D 2 times a day in the winter and once a day in the summer and it seems to help.  When I am "normal" it's always on the very low end of normal....  I likely should be taking more than I do....
Bookmark and Share

Offline spongecake

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
Bah )8 My friend asked about what kind of tablets I'm taking. I told her I've been prescribed one 30 000u tablet of D3 per week. She immediately exclaimed that thus is a crazy amount and my doctor is trying to kill me.

WRONG thing to say. And now I freak out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
I was at a whopping 18! Been taking 50,000 I/u weekly for around three months now. I skipped a month accidentally didn't know to refill! Probably get it retested in a few weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
The doctor knows, not your friend.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Maryjo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
I'm not sure about vitamin D but I have extremely low magnesium, iron and potassium levels. The first time this came to my attention I literally thought I was dying. My heart palpitated, my vision went blurry my hand, legs arm and face went completely numb and I started jerking uncontrollably then I got tunnel vision. I passed out at a hospital a few years back and had similar symptoms then and that time I actually legally died in the hospital. So I called 911, they were sympathetic to my obvious overreaction but low levels of anything can make you all whacked out. I now can tell when I'm low so I supplement.
Bookmark and Share

Offline spongecake

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
@Marc: You're right. You're right. I overreacted... Just the last kinda thing I needed to hear is all. Cooled down now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
I also take a Vitamin D supplement. When I saw my GYN a few months ago & mentioned some anxiety issues, she suggested taking it. She said it's a controversial issue with doctors, but she finds taking a Vit D supplement to be beneficial & recommends it to her patients because so many people aren't getting enough. She recommended D3 between 1,000-2,000 a day, but that's just the safe dosage for a basic supplement. Obviously if you have bloodwork done & your doctor suggests otherwise, that's what you should probably take!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
I also recently found out I had a vitamin D deficiency. It was like 19. It's pretty common, especially in states like Oregon and Washington.

My doctor has me on 2,000 IU a day.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 05:43:24 AM »
Bah )8 My friend asked about what kind of tablets I'm taking. I told her I've been prescribed one 30 000u tablet of D3 per week. She immediately exclaimed that thus is a crazy amount and my doctor is trying to kill me.

WRONG thing to say. And now I freak out.

My fiancee takes 50,000 twice a week.  I was taking 50000 once a week for a while; now I just take a normal supplement.  My levels are still low but they were practically nonexistent for a while.  I still have a lot of the symptoms of it; I don't know if they linger or they're just caused by other things. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: