Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Losing weight - and my hair!  (Read 95 times)

Offline GenSec

• Rec's: 54
    • Poke This Member
Losing weight - and my hair!
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
Hi,

I suffer from anxiety disorder and depression, and over the last while since a bad breakup i've been working on improving my life to try and find some happiness in myself. I began a serious diet and have lost quite a bit of weight over the last few months; i'm over half way to my target weight, and was beginning to actually take some positives from looking at myself in the mirror for the first time in many years as the weight noticeably shed. I can wear clothes i'd outgrown; i was even getting a waistline! :laugh3: Even around my face people could see the difference and would pass comment. Then i met my lovely girlfriend, who does nothing but try and build up my confidence.

Very recently, i've noticed higher than average hair loss... i was due a haircut, but i kept putting it off because deep down i was worried i'd discover something i didn't like. Hair loss. My grandfather was noticeably bald with most of his hair totally gone by the age of 25, and my father was almost totally bald by the age of 21. I'm 29 years old and hoped, just hoped, that i'd escaped the curse. But after my haircut i can see undeniable thinning at the temples, and i'm devastated! :traurig001: I can see my scalp, the hair is thin and whispy. I keep my hair a decent length in a side-parting; i'm not one of these fortunate guys who would suit a buzz cut or shaving it all off altogether.

I've been looking at ways to prevent it but there seems to be so many methods out there, some of them contradictory and some of them downright bizarre. Do any gents here have any advice? I want to keep my thick blonde hair before it disappears! :( I don't want to finally lose this weight only to end up losing something more important to my appearance!

I wish i could take it like my grandfather and father... neither of them cared a jot; my grandfather still managed to marry the lady he wanted, and my father just shaved his head and seen it as making showering for work in the mornings quicker. :laugh3: But i've always liked decent length hair and i was hoping with it being the 21st century and all that somebody, somewhere out there must have found a success story to fight it!

Kind thanks for reading,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Losing weight - and my hair!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:20:45 AM »
Could the hair loss not be something to do with the diet you put yourself on? You know yourself. Not getting enough of some vitamin or other. Just something to think about. No expert on hair. I shave my head as a rule. I hate hair. Only one in this family with a full head of hair. Only one who ever wants to shave it off the second it begins to grow. But maybe you cut out eating something that had some vitamin in it that was good for hair. I know there seems to be a vitamin for everything. As this is good for bones and that is good for skin, etc, etc.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: