Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Severe health anxiety !!  (Read 163 times)

Offline Graysons mummy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Severe health anxiety !!
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
For the past 2 months I have been experiencing severe health anxiety , I'm a 19 year old female who have birth to a beautiful baby boy back in March however the birth didn't go as expected , I had a crash c-section and was put to sleep due to baby's heart rate dropping twice , my last memories before I held him in my arms was me screaming for my partner as I was petrified of being put to sleep , surgery went really well tho and he is a happy and healthy baby. The 4 weeks following birth went really well , my scar was healing nicely as was I and I was getting on with it until one day I was in the car and started feeling a bit sick , then the sickness increased and by the time we got home I was In a little bit of pain and before I knew it 2 mins later I was screaming in agony , the pain had spread to my chest and I felt like there was a massive band around my back and chest , not knowing what was going on my partner rang an ambulance but by the time they arrived the pain had subsided and I was left shaking instead , all my observations were good and they weren't sure what it was so suggested maybe is was muscular and due to lifting , I accepted their diagnosis and carried on with my evening. 3 days following I was fine again until one day I had the pain again but I had previously lifted something so put it down to that and battled my way through , carried on as normal for a couple of days , went to be done night and woke up screaming with the pain again and that's when I said enough is enough , I rang my docs the following day and after describing it as best as I could he diagnosed me with a womb infection which did strike me as odd but again , I accepted it , I was put on a course of 2 very strong anti-biotics which made me feel very ill so was took of them and put on a new one which I was allergic too , not having much luck I was then put on a new one to get rid of my " womb infection " and I finished that course. I had tests done during that time to see if I had an infection and all my tests came back negative which suggested u never had a womb infection ! Following all my crappy anti-biotics I started to feel out of sorts constantly , I became dizzy everyday ( almost a drunk feeling ) I kept thinking I was going to die due to me feeling so ill , I've been in and out of the hospital several times to be told there is nothing wrong with me  ! It was said I have anxiety and what I had had previously were panic attacks from the traumatic birth I had , I was put on citilopram which I was reluctant to take because of all the crap I had in me already not to mention scared to take it ! My partner made me take it as he was sick of the constant hospital trips but taking it made things worse , 3 hours after taking it I woke up sweating , feeling numb , had a horrible headache , felt sick , I literally felt like I was dying and had to go and sleep in bed  with my mum just for the comfort , the next day my eyes started going all funny and I felt shaky and ill , I booked an emergancy eye test and that came out fine also rang an ambulance but again my observations were perfect , I stopped the citilopram and suffered for weeks with many physical symptoms and the dreaded fear I was going to die or get cancer. , I had headaches every day , pain in my face , pins and needles in my head and face , stiff neck , numb arms and legs , sore legs , sickness , burning sensations , chest pain ( lots of it ) extreme dizziness and more , all this stuff I was suffering daily and still am now to some extent although not every symptom. My new one is the feeling of not being able to breath and extreme heartburn !! I feel like there is a lump in my throat constantly , I feel like can't take a deep breath , I feel sick everyday but in my chest ( yes chest ) what the hell is that all about ?! I get the burning sensation and the chest pain and I'm seriously worried in gunna get oesophageal cancer or something :( I'm taking omeprazole 40mg , I also take gaviscon just to top me up very now and again , I only drink water and I'm not eating before bed anymore but I can't seem to shift it :( if anything it's getting worse and very day my anxiety is increasing more and more , I'm petrified to go to sleep at night and I'm really at a loose end , has anybody sufferd similar to me ? Any thoughts would be great
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe health anxiety !!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »
Hello Graysons Mummy...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

GM, it certainly is possible that all the symptoms you are experiencing are caused by anxiety, such as panic disorder and panic attacks.  I am on Citalopram (Celexa), have been on it for just over six months now, and would like to share some things with you about how it works.

Citalopram is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), anti-depressant.  When first starting a SSRI, serotonin levels throughout the body are immediately increased.  Unfortunately, start-up side effects can occur because of this increase in serotonin, and again, your symptoms after just taking one dose were very classic.  I had them too.  So, anti-depressants can make many individuals feel actually worse before you feel better.  I am not certain what dose of Citalopram you took, but it is best to start out at a low, sub-therapeutic dose, like 10 or even 5 mg, and then increase the dose every 7-10 days.  This can help to keep those start-up side effects away, or at least limit them.  Once you reach a therapeutic dose of Citalopram, which is 20 mg, it will take some 3 to 12 weeks for the medication to take effect.  One will usually see degrees to improvement during this time period.

It is truly unfortunate that many doctors do not take the time to inform their patients just how anti-depressants work, as well as discuss the start-up side effects that can occur.  Also, most start-up side effects will diminish rapidly in a few weeks, but might return for a short period if the dose of the anti-depressant is increased.

GM, welcome again to Anxiety Zone.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Graysons mummy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:26:06 AM »
Hi , thanks I'm just petrified , I'm on 20mg but I'm only taking half a tablet a day ATM to get my body use to it , doc wants me to take the full 20mg but I'm not keen !
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
Hi GM...

You were wise to start off with taking only 10 mg of Citalopram, as this can help to keep start-up side effects down.  However, 20 mg is the lowest therapeutic dose of Citalopram, so it would be best for you to consider going up to that dose after being on 10 mg for a few weeks.

I hope that the Citalopram works for you, as it is a good anti-depressant.

The very best to you, GM!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: