Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Have anxiety, what type of work do you do and how it affects you?  (Read 210 times)

Offline chgo81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi all,

I am not sure where to start.... Well maybe I should say that I am 33 years old now. The first time I experienced a pretty serious anxiety was when I was around 22 years old. I think what triggered it was smokng some weed.... I didn't smoke a lot, literally only a few times, and I remember when once I got into a serious attack right after smoking....(of course since then I would ot even look at the weed) Anyway, that lead me to a nervous breakdown, I lost about 40 pounds, couldn`t eat, my hands were shaking, could not go in front of other people, it was pretty bad. At the time I was telling myslef that it must be some illness, so I went to all kinds of doctors, I had blood work done, MRI, visited a neurologist( i felt very dizzy back then)...Finally I came across one GP and he suggested that I see a psych....

Well that was a best advice ever. Psych prescribed my with Xanax and Paxil.....within a year I was myself for another 7 years!

Unfortunately about 3 years ago it hot me again. This time it was brought by some serious stress at work, I worked in finances and my company was audited and investigated by officials. Everything was fine, but the whole process took them a year and within that time I turned into a wreck. Luckily I knew what to do and after maybe six months I recognized what is going on with me....

I had so many physical symptoms...  At some point I started to really worry about some serious diseases - that was when I figured out this is anxiety talking.

So, I visited the psych and was prescribed 20mg paroxetine and 0.5 clonazepam. That was three years ago. Every time after roughly 3 months I started feeling great, so despite docs advice I started weaning of. He told me that I should stay on the full dose for a year to really stabilize. I didn`t listen to him twice, but I did listen the last time. I weaned myself of paxil and now I take clonazepam 0.5 or 0.25 intermittently, about 3-4 days out of the week. sometimes I go 7 days without it and I am fine. I`m hoping that I will be able o get off clonazepam shortly, now it's been two months that I have quit paxil...

My big problem is that my mood/anxiety really affects my work. Luckily, I am self employed so I have the comfort of leaving the office when I don`t feel righ or not answering a phone call here and there, but I would always call back a bit later.....Being self-employed is in this case very convenient, bt this anxiety started taking toll on my overall performance and sales, now that is causing another anxiety because I worried that if I am not feeling well how am going to run my business. So, bottom line I am very worried about the money, how stupid am I. I was wondering how anxiety is affecting your work, what line of work you are in, etc. I am in real estate and I really have to be open to people, smile a lot and be relaxed, otherwise it`s hard to sell... I was wondering how others are doing this... Sometimes I get a feeling like some sales people or attorneys must be on something( I think I can tell by their eyes, behavior). I don`t know but it would probably make me feel better if I actually knew someone in a similar situation with the same problem...
I even considered a group meetings ( I live in Chicago -that shouldn't be a problem) but I am afraid that maybe I will meet someone who knows me....
I keep this to myself, my wife knows and is wit me, but she decided not to talk about as she thinks I should forget about worrying and anxiety and just live...She thinks that talking will make it worse. I think that she is partially right but she probably doesn't want to know too much because then she starts worrying....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Have anxiety, what type of work do you do and how it affects you?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
I'm sorry about all the stress you are under.  A year long audit would have sent me over the edge too.  I work for state government.  There are times that it is very stressful.  My GAD often makes me really tense even when there is no reason to be.  I can also be so scared of making a mistake that I find it hard to concentrate.   I think answering phone calls is one of the hardest things for me.  There is no telling what the person on the other end may want.  Sometimes (luckily not often), the person is very angry and I may or may not be able to help them.  I really hate confrontation.  Anyway, many days are a struggle for me and I feel like I am just waiting for something bad to happen.  On the bright side I like my coworkers and generally the work is ok.  I just wish I could learn to relax.  Finally, I think of myself as being stupid sometimes for being anxious (like you mentioned in your post).  We aren't stupid for being anxious though.  It's like being mad at yourself for having allergies.  It isn't something we chose and we are trying to get better.  Best of luck to you.

Bookmark and Share
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Offline itry31

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »
Awww sorry u experienced that. I wonder if something was in that weed? I get like that too if I try some. I used to smoke yrs ago allll the time and it had no effect but if I even try (Im pregnant now so I def dont) but when I did a yr ago I was extremely paranoid like out of body experience It was terrible. I jus couldnt get a grip....never again.
Far as careers Im a mental health professional of all things...I help people with severe mental illness like schizophrenia this of course makes me identify with them alot....but I hide my anxiety alot too
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
Hi Chgo81, I work for a nonprofit. Such places tend to be a bit more relaxed than for profit.
I sent you a message also.  I'm in Chicago and am part of anxiety groups.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:33:31 AM »
Well.. I'm a microbiologist. Yeah that's a fun thought huh? I get the panic attacks that make me shake, and I'm directly working with infectious agents.

Fortunately for everyone, Im only researching bacteriophage viruses that are not dangerous. So it's pretty low pressure. Of course, I had to go through god knows how many incredibly stressful years of college to get here.

I think they're cool. They're viruses that infect bacteria. In what world is that not awesome? They're like if you mounted DNA syringes onto a propeller.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chgo81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
Thanks everyone who replied. I`m pretty much med free now. I started taking 400MG SAM-E to help with my mood just in case. Only now another problem appeared on me. I developed a pretty serous shortness of breath and tight chest feeling. It usually starts to develop around 2-3pm and lasts(gets worse) with every hour. This started before I started with Sam-e so I wouldn`t blame it on it. Do you think this could be a withdrawal from stopping paxil/clonazepan... I went off paxil a good few months ago, also clonazepan I have been taking only 0.5 - 0.25 or even less and not everyday.
It seems like if not the chest tightness and shortness of breath I would be TOTALLY FINE. Now this new thing makes very stressed out and my anxiety level sometimes goes very high... It is like now I think and worry about this new symptom too much,  that of course propels the symptoms and the circle starts over again....How can i stop the chest tightness and th feeling of being short of breath/air. Also sometimes it gets to the point that my throat gets very tight and it even affects my talking....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: