Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: A positive doctor's appointment  (Read 106 times)

Offline rosiela

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
A positive doctor's appointment
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »
I hope this is OK to post here - I just wanted to write this in case it encourages anyone struggling at the moment. :)

I have struggled with health anxiety on and off for years. I am 28 now and have always been prone to worrying/anxious thoughts but can't really remember when the health stuff started. There were no obvious triggers or anything like that.

It seems to have got worse over the last couple of years, but it is still sporadic in nature - I can be completely fine for months, and then suddenly have a really bad few days/weeks with it.

The last 6 weeks have been bad for me - I have been worrying constantly about this 'spot' on the back of my neck. I have posted about it already on here. 6 weeks of worrying, being unable to concentrate, obsessive checking - touching it 50+ times a day despite trying to tell myself not to… etc, etc. In that 6 weeks I also had a mild panic of having breast cancer too. Basically, I have been really on edge, and prone to feeling anxious, even more than normal.

I decided to make an appointment with my GP - I don't usually, when I'm worried about symptoms, because it usually goes away quite quickly, but because this has gone on for 6 weeks I had had enough of worrying.

I was really nervous about going to the doctor. Worried that it really would be something bad (despite reassurances from my boyfriend, who couldn't even see what I was talking about when I made him check), worried about what I would say, worried about whether the doctor would take me seriously. But it was a great appointment. He took me seriously and was very kind and caring. He examined the back of my neck and reassured me he could not see or feel anything worrying at all, but that he did want to talk about my anxiety. He asked me a lot of questions, and again, was very kind about it. The GP surgery has a clinical psychologist who comes in on certain days, and he has referred me to her for some therapy sessions - I may have to wait a while for this, but to be honest, it is just a huge relief that I am going to get some help about this. Finally.

For the first time in 6 weeks I actually feel good. And not worried. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: A positive doctor's appointment
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »
Fantastic!

I am truly getting embarrassed seeing my doctor so often and I have already owned up to the fact I have health anxiety issues.  She has always been kind, for the most part, but I still do not feel comfortable.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: