Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do the days get better?  (Read 176 times)

Offline JustVon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do the days get better?
« on: June 09, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
I feel like this is a life sentence and no matter what I do...I will continue to have my morning ruined by panic and anxiety. It feels like I'm just getting used to it and not actually getting over it. My stepdad says it took him 6 months to recover from his first big panic attack. It's getting old and making my chest hurt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do the days get better?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
Hi JustVon,

This is a question I have asked myself many times in the past. For me I can say honestly that with therapy and the support of some amazing people the days do get better.  I highly recommend CBT.  This form of therapy has helped me so much over the years to both address my underlying issues and also retrain my mind to accept the scary symptoms and thoughts  as nothing more than they are and know they won't actually harm me.  At my worst I had up to 10 panic attacks a day and my GAD made the rest of the time horrible.  I now can say I have more good days than bad including days where anxiety is at a manageable level and panic attacks are few and far far between.  Please don't give up hope.  It can and will get better if you work on it and try to face your fears.  You are far stronger than you think.  Please feel free ask me anything you want to know.  You can do this.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline JustVon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »
Thank you of the kind words. Knowing others who have been through it helps so much. Mime has been worse in the mornings and kinda goes away as the day goes on. Guess ot just builds back up in my sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »
Hello Von...  My name is Chuck and I am one of the Global Moderators here on Anxiety Zone.

I wanted you to know that it is very common to have increased anxiety in the morning, upon waking, and a decrease in anxiety in the evening hours.  Mine certainly follows this pattern.

In the morning when you are going from a sleeping state to a walking one, there are a lot of physiological changes taking place, and this includes the release of stress hormones.

Crikee provided you with an excellent response.  I see a psychiatrist to manage my mental health care needs, and see a therapist who is also teaching me cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

I am hopeful that better days await you.  The very best to you, Von!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline JustVon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »
I have an appointment coming up with my psychiatrist to try to figure out the best course of action here. I think he is wanting to up my antidepressant. I want relief, but I don't know if more chemicals is a good way to do it. I've come down so much, I thought this was progress...then I had a fender bender and it's like the world ended. How can something so trivial send me back 5 steps? No one was hurt, the lady wasn't angry. I'm still on my parents insurance though and I feel so guilty that it's coming out of their pocket.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
A car accident no matter how minor can be anxiety inducing.  Try not to be too hard on yourself both for the accident and also for the resulting anxiety.  Beating yourself up will do nothing more than increase your anxiety.  I know this from personal experience.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that mornings are harder for me as well.  I have found that giving myself more time to get going at my own pace in the morning helps with the morning anxiety a lot. 
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.