Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My health anxiety seems to have shifted to my child. Help!  (Read 106 times)

Offline Laineybug927

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My health anxiety seems to have shifted to my child. Help!
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »
Hi everyone!

I used to frequent this board a lot after the birth of my first daughter. My health anxiety was out of control. I was convinced something was wrong with me and that I would leave my child without a mother. It was rough, as you all know. Until now, I have successfully kept it in check, but recently my daughter, who is almost 5, came down with a crazy illness.

She was as sick as I have ever seen her. High fever, headaches, sore throat, intense fatigue, etc.

After taking her to her pediatrician, he diagnosed her with an ear infection, and also thought she may have mono so he ran a bunch of blood tests. Well, once her blood tests came back, so did my anxiety. He told me her WBC were elevated (~18,000), she was mildly anemic (which he explained could be the result of an infection), and her inflammation studies (C-reactive protein and sed rate) were quite elevated. Mono test was normal.

I went into a panic. Of course the first thing I did was googled, and nothing good came up. I explained that I was extremely worried and asked if those numbers were possible with just a simple ear infection and possibly virus. He said yes, and that he was not worried, but that he does want me to bring her back in 2 weeks to recheck her blood test.

Well, that appointment is tomorrow and I have spent the last 2 weeks filled with anxiety. Of course, after 3 days she was perfectly fine and back to her normal self, and still is actually, but I cannot help thinking the worst. I just want tomorrow to be over.

I'm also worried I have lost control of my HA. I worked so hard these past few years to try to keep it under control.

Has anyone else had their anxiety shift from themselves to their children? Any words of advice for tomorrow?

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline catrinrode

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My health anxiety seems to have shifted to my child. Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »
I completely relate - I have the same problem. I have three children I, until recently, I thought I did a really good job hiding my anxiety from them.
Then my 12 year old daughter came down with strange symptoms. Low grade fever, fatigue, headaches and would not get better. At day 8 I brought her in again (first pediatrician said it was just a virus and would go away within 3 days). The pediatrician who I love and who I trust and who knows me and my anxiety looked at her again and said that it was time to do some blood work because she wouldn't get better.
That was when I lost it because of course I was going straight to leukemia. In front of my daughter (again, she is 12 and quite smart) it just came out of me in panic "It's not leukemia, is it?"
My daughter started crying right there in front of me. The pediatrician looked at me angry and said that it was very low on her list.
Well, she had mono. But I FREAKED HER OUT!
Which really really made me aware that something like that MUST NOT happen.
I am trying hard to work on it.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: