Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Question about switch  (Read 72 times)

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Question about switch
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
Hi all, switching from lorazepam (ativan) to clonazepam (klonopin).  Problem was the lorazepam helped my anxiety but made me too drowsy so I had to take at night.  When I woke up, effects were gone.  The hope is I can take klonopin at night and because of longer half life get more effect out of it during day.  Has anyone else tried this or have any thoughts? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question about switch
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
Hi all, switching from lorazepam (ativan) to clonazepam (klonopin).  Problem was the lorazepam helped my anxiety but made me too drowsy so I had to take at night.  When I woke up, effects were gone.  The hope is I can take klonopin at night and because of longer half life get more effect out of it during day.  Has anyone else tried this or have any thoughts?

Hi Niceguy, I just view some of your posts, I noticed that on some of your last posts you have decided to move to a Benzo from SSRI - which is much better IMHO of 30+ years in managing anxiety and panic attacks.

I also noticed this older Post:

Question: need something for anxiety.  SSRI didn't work for me, so tried lorazepam.  Helped panic and anxiety, however can't take during day due to drowsiness.  So take 0.5 mg every night.  Seems to be putting a dent in constant worry and health anxiety.  But I am worried about dependence.  Any advice?

Klonopin and Valium are two gold standards for providing "Full day shield" with a single dose, in many cases.

I have taken them always before bed, you will still get some drowsiness - mine were in the morning hours - but with time the drowsiness will go eventually abate - you will need to tweak the dosage of Klonopin - until you find the right balance of "anxiety protection" vs "drowsiness - lethargy' but once you find the right dosage - it WORKS WONDERFULLY  :yes:

Xanax and Lorazepam have always been good - especially for Panic Attacks and server Anxiety attacks, but you need to take it several times per day for it versus just a a single dose of klonopin or valium (the two longest lasting benzos).

Drowsiness - will be caused by all Benzos to some degree, but I am sure you would be able to find 101 ways to combat drowsiness - that will work for you.

If you are like me, I am very paranoid about taking any medications, unless I have to, and then I will spend days researching information before I will take any medication or even health supplement...  I just want to have access to best and latest research findings myself, and not have unfounded misinformation crammed down my throat by uninformed Doctors and companies who are trying to make money from the suffering of others.

Also, new compelling current research is showing again and again - that for Anxiety and Panic Attacks - Benzodiazepines have a better profile of efficacy and less initial side effects, and safer for long time usage than the newer AD and SSRI. 

People who use these medications responsibly do not to fear dependence or so called 'addiction' - that gets thrown around by doctors and anti-medication people.   These are wonderful medications that help you tremendously.   :yes:

Even back in 1990 ...there were some reputable studies done - that have reinforced the safety of Benzodiazepines.

The report of the American Psychiatric Association's Task Force on Benzodiazepine Dependence, Toxicity and Abuse ... This document tries to dispel some popular misconceptions about benzodiazepines. ... "There is no evidence to suggest that the therapeutic use of benzodiazepines leads to abuse except in those persons who also abuse other substances." (29)

1990   Dr. Robert DuPont, a former director of the [United States] National Institute of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, suggests, "the concept of using the lowest possible dose of a benzodiazepine for the shortest period of time is inconsistent with sound clinical practice. This concept needs to include the important qualification that our goal is to maximize the patient's ability to function well and to enjoy life. Benzodiazepines are among the safest and most effective treatments in all of medicine, including their role in the treatment of panic disorder." (29)

(29) William D. Kernodle, MD, "Panic Disorder; The Medical Point of View,"

Just a side note:  I have been using Valium - for over 15 years, at 10 mg per night - without the need of having to increase the dosage, and as always, I have regular tests for liver test panels done at my Dr.'s office - without any problems.

Please let us know how you do on Klonopin !!!  :nature-smiley-016:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question about switch
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Thanks for info, great post.

Tolerate .25mg last night well.  A bit groggy in the morning, but nothing extreme.  Will stay with this for a few days then escalate to the recommended .5 mg
Bookmark and Share