Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Doctor ordered CA125 test because of ovarian cyst  (Read 214 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctor ordered CA125 test because of ovarian cyst
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Okay.  I know for a number of reasons, I shouldn't worry about this.

- I have a long-standing history with ovarian cysts, including endometriomas and hemorrhagic cysts.

- He thinks it's the same cyst I had last time I was there a year ago, and if it is, it hasn't changed much if at all.  Still about 5 cm at its widest.

- It's mostly fluid-filled; the walls are smooth. 

- Left ovary looks normal (first time I've had a normal-looking ovary in god knows how long!) and apparently were it something bad, both ovaries would probably be affected.

Why I'm worried about this:

- I'm a hypochondriac.

- Last time I had a CA125 test, it was elevated, and not a small glitch in the system elevation; it was significant.  Even though that cyst turned out to not be cancerous.  You would think this would make me less nervous, knowing that it can come back very high for benign causes.  But it doesn't, because I know that I'll assume the worst regardless. 

- This was the first time he was able to spot a cyst using an external ultrasound.  I have no idea if that's good, bad or neutral, but it's *different* and that's enough to freak me out. 

- A friend my age was just diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer.  I know this doesn't mean that I'm more likely to get it, etc.  But it puts it at the front of my mind as something to worry about. 

I asked why he was testing and he said since it's been there so long, on the "outside chance" he wanted to make sure.  I believe him that he's not very worried, because he has no reason to lie.  I'm just worried about that outside chance. 

There was also a ton of visible mucus in my urine sample.  So I'm fretting about that as well.  Even though I suspect it's just vaginal discharge, which I've been having a TON of lately for some reason.  Sigh
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctor ordered CA125 test because of ovarian cyst
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
Everything here is on your favor. No change in cyst, having cyst is very normal for you, your doctor doesn't seem worried at all and he has ordered this test in the past. I'm sure he is doing it again just to be 100% sure. It might even be standard for someone with recurrent cysts on ovaries.  I'm sure all is well. How old are you? I am only 27 and I'm done having children and I'm such a hypo I have considered having a hysterectomy so reproductive cancer is one thing I don't have to worry about. I would also gladly remove my breast, and any other organ you can live without. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctor ordered CA125 test because of ovarian cyst
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
Thanks :)  I'm 31.  No kids, but once I'm past childbearing years I too would consider a total hysterectomy just to get rid of everything there that could go cancerous on me.  I have no family history so I guess that's probably overreacting, but hell, it's not like I'll need it anyway at that point!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: