Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Eternity/Afterlife  (Read 218 times)

Offline isabeau71

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Eternity/Afterlife
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
Hi there,
It seems I am way too young to have fears like this, but they having been eating me up now since April of this year. I am only 18 years old and I have a fear of what life after death entails. I do not fear death itself, but the thought of "Where do we go after death?" I know a lot of that falls into the categories of faith and religion, and say it was safe to say that there was a heaven or a place where we find peace after death, the thought of eternity haunts me. I cannot grasp the concept that life is never ending. I had always found comfort in the thought of things ending like a bad time in  life or a job or a relationship. They all end. But life does not and the thought makes me panic. It is hard for me to even write this right now. The thought of eternity and life going on forever is the most chilling thought for me and its hard to believe anyone else would have this same fear. But also I could not imagine life ceasing to exist. It frightens me to think that I could simply just not exist. I fear eternity, but I fear the ending of life as well. And its torture. I hate it and I want it to go away, but I fear it never will. I fear I will always believe this. Does anyone else have these same ideas? Any advice on how to cope or make peace with it? I can't go on like this much longer, its driving me insane. And I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Eternity/Afterlife
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:42:46 AM »
You know what the greatest mystery of life is? Death. We wonder about it. What happens after we die. There is only one way to ever find out. Really we don't want the answer just yet.  :laugh3: Try looking for a book called ' Dead Happy '. Or even the Tibetan book of living and dying. Two very interesting books that may give your mind some answers. They do deal with after we die. Most of the book is based around the time following out death. Which makes them so good to read. Everybody has opinions and beliefs. I am sure if a person believes in God, they will meet their good. As the stages of death are similar to sleep in a sense. A deep sleep will come first. During this time we will see what we believe in. So it is important to believe in something.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline chad444

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
I am going through this exact thing as you right now. I really doubt the level of help I can be as I too am tortured by this. I don't know if they is truly a way to rationalize these concepts. One thing that helped me last time I was stuck in this was to realize there was no way to win this battle. You just have to give up and tell yourself I am completely powerless to my situation.  I did not choose this nor do I have the power to choose the future. The only thing I can choose is right now. The rest is out of my control. It is not rational to worry about things we can't control. Do things that take your mind off of it. I find comedy helps. If you have suggestions that might help me out let me know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AlyAmy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
I worry about this a lot too, it keeps me awake at night. People think I'm mad because I'm only 20, but you never know what will happen next, and that is ehat scares me the most!
Eventually I came to the conclusion that there is no point wasting my life worrying about death,  do things you enjoy and live in the now.
Sorry I can't be much help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chad444

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
How do you get by? What do you tell yourself to make it okay? I am in the exact state right now and would really like to hear from you on how you deal with this. Maybe we can help each other?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amy_Angst

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
Maybe I can actually help with this one. One of my "hobbies" is reading stories about NDE's and ADC's....near death experiences and after death communications.

People who have had a near death experience describes it as this.... When they see they have crossed over and find themselves in that tunnel and see the light at the end of the tunnel, they feel no fear. They feel a comforting warmth, no anxiety, no fear and lots and lots of love.  They may also sense or see loved ones around welcoming them.

My family and I have had plenty of experiences with ADC's.  I would like to mention one in particular because it brings me comfort. They all bring me comfort but I'm hoping this will help you too.

My aunt passed away and after the funeral, we came home and I was exhausted so I lay down for a nap.  I was in that in-between state, not awake and yet not fully asleep when this happened.

All of a sudden I knew or I should say I sensed my aunt was right in front of me literally in my face and I heard her yell out "Whooooooooooo"!!!!!!  She was happy!!!!!  It was not intended to scare me but it was that partying type of whoooo.  And when I say she was in my face, I truly mean it.  I actually pushed my head back into the pillow...she was in my airspace. LOL

Anxiety and fear is a human emotion here on earth.   We do not take that over there with us.   So at least that is one thing we don't need to worry about. LOL

Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
I had a deep conversation with my cousin once and he said not to fear death for The both of us believe in reincarnation and he said that we have always lived and always will live, we start where another left off. I used to fear death but I think now that I will always live and always have, which to me is coolso now I just live with... i just live like every day could be my last but I do not think about it. I have no religion butI know I will reincarnate, to me it just feels like what will happen. My aunt that believes in ghosts also believes in the same thing. idon't care if you believe the same or not as me but you should'nt let it ruin this time you have living for life is a special occasion!
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is like a shadow, always there. I used to do so much fun stuff without my anxiety and now I do so little with it :(