Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Eternity/Afterlife  (Read 596 times)

Offline isabeau71

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Eternity/Afterlife
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
Hi there,
It seems I am way too young to have fears like this, but they having been eating me up now since April of this year. I am only 18 years old and I have a fear of what life after death entails. I do not fear death itself, but the thought of "Where do we go after death?" I know a lot of that falls into the categories of faith and religion, and say it was safe to say that there was a heaven or a place where we find peace after death, the thought of eternity haunts me. I cannot grasp the concept that life is never ending. I had always found comfort in the thought of things ending like a bad time in  life or a job or a relationship. They all end. But life does not and the thought makes me panic. It is hard for me to even write this right now. The thought of eternity and life going on forever is the most chilling thought for me and its hard to believe anyone else would have this same fear. But also I could not imagine life ceasing to exist. It frightens me to think that I could simply just not exist. I fear eternity, but I fear the ending of life as well. And its torture. I hate it and I want it to go away, but I fear it never will. I fear I will always believe this. Does anyone else have these same ideas? Any advice on how to cope or make peace with it? I can't go on like this much longer, its driving me insane. And I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Eternity/Afterlife
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:42:46 AM »
You know what the greatest mystery of life is? Death. We wonder about it. What happens after we die. There is only one way to ever find out. Really we don't want the answer just yet.  :laugh3: Try looking for a book called ' Dead Happy '. Or even the Tibetan book of living and dying. Two very interesting books that may give your mind some answers. They do deal with after we die. Most of the book is based around the time following out death. Which makes them so good to read. Everybody has opinions and beliefs. I am sure if a person believes in God, they will meet their good. As the stages of death are similar to sleep in a sense. A deep sleep will come first. During this time we will see what we believe in. So it is important to believe in something.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline chad444

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
I am going through this exact thing as you right now. I really doubt the level of help I can be as I too am tortured by this. I don't know if they is truly a way to rationalize these concepts. One thing that helped me last time I was stuck in this was to realize there was no way to win this battle. You just have to give up and tell yourself I am completely powerless to my situation.  I did not choose this nor do I have the power to choose the future. The only thing I can choose is right now. The rest is out of my control. It is not rational to worry about things we can't control. Do things that take your mind off of it. I find comedy helps. If you have suggestions that might help me out let me know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AlyAmy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
I worry about this a lot too, it keeps me awake at night. People think I'm mad because I'm only 20, but you never know what will happen next, and that is ehat scares me the most!
Eventually I came to the conclusion that there is no point wasting my life worrying about death,  do things you enjoy and live in the now.
Sorry I can't be much help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chad444

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
How do you get by? What do you tell yourself to make it okay? I am in the exact state right now and would really like to hear from you on how you deal with this. Maybe we can help each other?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amy_Angst

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
Maybe I can actually help with this one. One of my "hobbies" is reading stories about NDE's and ADC's....near death experiences and after death communications.

People who have had a near death experience describes it as this.... When they see they have crossed over and find themselves in that tunnel and see the light at the end of the tunnel, they feel no fear. They feel a comforting warmth, no anxiety, no fear and lots and lots of love.  They may also sense or see loved ones around welcoming them.

My family and I have had plenty of experiences with ADC's.  I would like to mention one in particular because it brings me comfort. They all bring me comfort but I'm hoping this will help you too.

My aunt passed away and after the funeral, we came home and I was exhausted so I lay down for a nap.  I was in that in-between state, not awake and yet not fully asleep when this happened.

All of a sudden I knew or I should say I sensed my aunt was right in front of me literally in my face and I heard her yell out "Whooooooooooo"!!!!!!  She was happy!!!!!  It was not intended to scare me but it was that partying type of whoooo.  And when I say she was in my face, I truly mean it.  I actually pushed my head back into the pillow...she was in my airspace. LOL

Anxiety and fear is a human emotion here on earth.   We do not take that over there with us.   So at least that is one thing we don't need to worry about. LOL

Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
I had a deep conversation with my cousin once and he said not to fear death for The both of us believe in reincarnation and he said that we have always lived and always will live, we start where another left off. I used to fear death but I think now that I will always live and always have, which to me is coolso now I just live with... i just live like every day could be my last but I do not think about it. I have no religion butI know I will reincarnate, to me it just feels like what will happen. My aunt that believes in ghosts also believes in the same thing. idon't care if you believe the same or not as me but you should'nt let it ruin this time you have living for life is a special occasion!
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline anxshannah

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
I used to have panic attacks numerous times a day about this a couple of years ago. I plucked up the courage to tell my Mum and she told all my family and said it was weird. It was hard because I worry about their deaths too, I'm really close to them, but my Mum and Dad aren't the 'talking it over' types. I still have thoughts sometimes, especially at night, but I find the only thing that will take it away is to count to ten with each breath and seeing the front of my brain as a safe for bad thoughts, and imagining me pushing the thoughts into the safe and locking it away. Might sound silly, but that's the best way I could take my mind away from it. Its horrible to think about the living forever or forever in darkness type thing, and it's going to happen one way or another, but the only thing to do is not think about it sadly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ezekiel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
I've had a fear of death for a long time too.  I even considered what the point of giving life just so we can go through it fearing death.  But I feel there's hope and mystery.

I've been obsessed with the paranormal for a long time, had a few experiences earlier in life; so I don't "believe", I "know" there is something outside this container we find ourselves trapped in, full of imbalances, anxieties, hurts, hang-ups and habits.

A very inspirational read was Dr. Eben Alexander's book, "Proof of Heaven".

If you're not familiar with it, he was a Neurosurgeon and an agnostic/atheist in the purest form of a scientific mind.  Up until he had his experience, he "knew" there was nothing after the processes of our bodies gave out.

I hope you enjoy this and consider where this man's mindset was, his education, position and expertise in brain science. He has now devoted his time to researching NDEs and out of body consciousness, and has given stellar reviews to the work of the Monroe Institute (with their hemi-sync method) as well as The Division of Perceptual Research at the University of Virginia which was founded as a research unit of the Department of Psychiatric Medicine at UVA by Dr. Ian Stevenson in 1967

Quote from: Dr. Eben Alexander, Neurosurgeon
The Gift of Forgetting...

The view of human consciousness held by most scientists today is that it is composed of digital information–data, that is, of essentially the same kind used by computers. Though some bits of this data–seeing a spectacular sunset, hearing a beautiful symphony for the first time, even falling in love–may feel more profound or special to us than the countless other bits of information created and stored in our brains, this is really just an illusion. Our brains model outside reality by taking the information that comes through our senses and transforming it into a rich digital tapestry. But our perceptions are just a model – not reality itself. An illusion.

This was, or course, the view I held as well. I can remember being in medical school and occasionally hearing arguments that consciousness is nothing more than a complex computer program. These arguments suggested that the ten billion or so neurons firing constantly within our brains are capable of producing a lifetime of consciousness and memory.

To understand how the brain might actually block our access to knowledge of higher worlds, we need to accept – at least hypothetically and for the moment – that the brain itself doesn't produce consciousness. That it is, instead, a kind of reducing valve filter, shifting the larger, nonphysical consciousness that we posses in the nonphysical worlds, down into a more limited capacity for the duration of our mortal lives. There is, from the earthly perspective, a very definite advantage to this. Just was our brains work hard every moment of our waking lives to filter out the barrage of sensory information coming at us from our physical surroundings, selecting the material we actually need in order to survive, so it is that forgetting our trans-earthly identities also allows us to be "here and now" far more effectively. Just as most of ordinary life holds too much information for us to take in at once and still get anything done, being excessively conscious of the worlds beyond the here and now would slow down our progress even more. If we knew too much of the spiritual realm now, then navigating our lives on earth would be an even greater challenge than it already is. (That's not to say we shouldn't be conscious of the worlds beyond now – only that if we are extra-conscious of their grandeur and immensity, they can prevent action while still here on earth). From a more purpose-focused perspective (and I now believe the universe is nothing if not purposeful), making the right decisions through our free will in the face of the evil and injustice on earth would mean far less if we remember, while here, the full beauty and brilliance of what awaits us.

Why am I so sure of this? For two reasons. The first is that I was shown it (by the beings who taught me when I was in the Gateway and the Core), and the second is because I actually experienced it. While beyond my body, I received knowledge about the nature and structure of the universe that was vastly beyond my comprehension. But I received it anyhow, in large part because, with my worldly preoccupations out of the way, I had room to do so. Now that I'm back on earth and remember my bodily identity, the seed of the trans-earthly knowledge has once again been covered over. And yet it's still there. I can feel it, at every moment. It will take years, in this earthly environment, to come to fruition. That is, it will take me years to understand, using my mortal material brain, what I understood so instantly and easily in the brain-free realms of the world beyond. Yet I'm confident that with hard work on my part, much of that knowledge will continue to unfold.

To say that there is still a chasm between our current scientific understanding of the universe and the truth as I saw it is a considerable understatement. I still love physics and cosmology, still love studying our vast and wonderful universe. Only I now have a greatly enlarged conception of what "vast" and "wonderful" really mean. The physical side of the universe is as a speck of dust as compared to the invisible and spiritual world. In my past view, spiritual wasn't a word that I have employed during a scientific conversation. Now I believe it is a word that we cannot afford to leave out.

From the Core, my understanding of what we call "dark energy" and "dark matter" seemed to have clear explanations, as did far more advanced components of the makeup of our universe that humans won't address for ages.

This doesn't mean, however, that I can explain them to you. That's because –paradoxically–I am still in the process of understanding them myself. Perhaps the best way of converting that part of the experience is to say that I had a foretaste of another, larger kind of knowledge: one I believe human beings will be able to access in ever larger numbers in the future. But conveying that knowledge now is rather like being a chimpanzee, becoming a human for a single day to experience all of the wonders of human knowledge, and then returning to one's chimp friends and trying to tell them what it was like knowing several different Romance languages, the calculus, and the immense scale of the universe.

Up there, a question would arise in my mind, and the answer would arise at the same time, like a flower coming up right next to it. It was almost as if, just as no physical particle in the universe is really separate from another, so in the same way there was no such thing as a question without an accompanying answer. These answers were not simple "yes" or "no" fare, either. They were vast conceptual edifices, staggering structures of living thought, as intricate as cities. Ideas so vast they would have taken me lifetimes to find my way around if I had been confined to earthly thought. But I wasn't. I had sloughed off that earthly style of thought like a butterfly breaking from a chrysalis.

I saw the earth as a pale blue dot in the immense blackness of physical space. I could see that earth was a place where good and evil mixed, and that this constituted one of its unique features. Even on earth is much more good than evil, but earth is a place where evil is allowed to gain influence in a way that would be entirely impossible at higher levels of existence. That evil could occasionally have the upper hand as known and allowed by the Creator as a necessary consequence of giving the gift of free will to beings like us.

Small particles of evil were scattered throughout the universe, but the sum total of all that evil was as a grain of sand on a vast beach compared to the goodness, abundance, hope and unconditional love in which the universe was literally awash. The very fabric of the alternate dimension is love and acceptance, and anything doesn't have these qualities appears immediately and obviously out of place there.

But free will comes at the cost of a loss or falling-away from this love and acceptance. We are free; but we are free beings hemmed all around by an environment conspiring to make us feel that we are not free. Free will is of central importance for our function in the earthly realm: a function that, we will all one day discover, serves the much higher role of allowing our ascendance in the timeless alternate dimension. Our life don here might seem insignificant, for it is minute in relation to the other lives and other worlds that also crowd the invisible and visible universes. But it is also hugely important , for our role here is to grow toward the Devine, and that growth is closely watched by beings in the worlds above – the souls and lucent orbs (those beings I saw originally far above me in the Gateway, and which i believe are the origin of our culture's concepts of angels).

We–the spiritual beings currently inhabiting our evolutionarily developed brains and bodies, the product of the earth and the exigencies of the earth–make the real choices. True thought is not the brain's affair. But we have, in part by the brain itself, been so trained to associate our brains with what we think and who we are that we have lost the ability to realize that we are at all times much more than the physical brains and bodies that do, or should do, our bidding.

True though is pre-physical. This is the thinking-behind-the-thinking responsible for all of the genuinely consequential choices we make in the world. A thinking that is not dependent on linear deduction, but that moves fast as lightning, making connections on different levels, bringing them together. In the face of this free, inner intelligence, our ordinary thought is hopelessly slow and fumbling. It's this thinking that catches the football in the end zone, that comes up with the inspired scientific insight or writes the inspired song. The subliminal thinking that is always there when we need it, but that we have all to often lost the ability both to access and to believe in.

To experience thinking outside the brain is to enter a world of instantaneous connections that make ordinary thinking (i.e., those aspects limited by the physical brain and the speed of light) seem like some hopelessly sleepy and plodding event. Our truest, deepest self completley free. It is not crippled or compromised by past actions or concerned with identity or status. It comprehends that it has no need to fear the earthly world, and therefore, it has no need to build itself up through fame or wealth or conquest.

This is the true spiritual self that all of us are destined someday to recover. But until that day comes, I feel, we should do everything in our power to get in touch with this miraculous aspect of ourselves – to cultivate it and bring it to light. This is the being living within all of us right now and that is, in fact, the being that God truly intends us to be.

How do we get closer to this genuine spiritual self? By manifesting love and compassion. Why? Because love and compassion are far more than the abstractions many of us believe them to be. They are real. They are concrete.And they make up the very fabric of the spiritual realm.

In order to return to that realm, we must once again become like that realm. even while we are stuck in, and plodding through, this one.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when they think of God is the imagine God as impersonal. Yes, God is behind the numbers, the perfection of the universe that science measures and struggles to understand. But–again, paradoxically– God is "human" as well – even more human than you and I are. God understands and empathizes with our human situation more profoundly and personally than we can even imagine because God knows what we have forgotten, and understands the terrible burden it is to live with amnesia of the Divine for even the moment.

This is a pretty quick synopsis on his story...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGNnOk6dhA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGNnOk6dhA</a>

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that you said you were not afraid of dying, but what awaits on the other side.  I am the exact opposite.  I'm terrorized by the thought of what is going to get me there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:45:56 PM »
Not to be pushy, but do you believe in God? I had always believed in him growing up, but I would still get really freaked out anyway by the thought of death and eternity, and honestly I still do sometimes. A big help though has been reading the Bible and praying more, and in one part of it it says something along the lines of, "If God cares about even the little bird in the forest and makes sure they get enough to eat, why wouldn't he care about his children?" and that quote really comforts me.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 07:37:13 AM »
If others believe in an after life that's fine with me as long as I'm not coerced (or worse) to believe the same.

The same goes re The Almighty. The casualties to convert others have been aggregating since time immemorial. Can we learn to live and let live? Or is that too boring?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ezekiel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »
Well- the coercion goes both ways.  I've witnessed atheists which are just as venomous and dogmented as the most fundamental religionist.

And - when considered logically, atheism is nothing but faith either.  The most rational place to be would be agnostic, and I am spiritual who believe in God; though I realize my "proof" and experiences are subjective - I can no better convince someone in how God is real to me than we can make someone fully appreciate the hell of a life of anxiety is.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
Are atheists coercive? I suppose they could be as it is in the nature of humans. Not good, to be sure. Anxiety, depression, OCD, fears, worries, etc. can make life hellish. If beliefs help (with no conversion agendas), well and good. Whatever the beliefs are, in life or after life.

Some people need therapists, some need meds, others like to read, think, journal, learn, meditate, etc. I had the example of a relative who had faith, followed all prescriptions, was unable to take charge and the end was disastrous. Am determined not to follow that path. Grateful for self help sites like this which can be instructive and helpful.
Bookmark and Share