Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Tips on dealing with anxiety from driving/dentist/doctor/hairdresser?  (Read 103 times)

Offline lazylady42

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • "It's always something"
    • Poke This Member
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here. In the past 2 years since I joined I've had my share of good and bad days but recently (because of certain major upcoming life events) I've been under a lot of stress and have been having many high anxiety days (including one panic attack  :( ) in a short period of time which of course has made me feel even more stressed and anxious overall.

Anyway, this week I'm going to be facing some situations which I find particularly triggering and am wondering if anyone else who also struggles with them has any tips on things to do to manage them or even just some words of encouragement...

Particularly, I'm going to be spending some time in a car as well as visiting the dentist, doctor, and getting my hair cut. Basically anything where I have to sit in a chair/room for an extended period of time = feeling trapped = anxiety (especially driving/being in a car)

I've already talked with my therapist about some ideas of things I could do like making sure I'm not rushing, listen to calming music in the car, bring water and snacks with me, and I'll have a brown bag to breathe into in case I panic.

But I was wondering if anyone here with some more personal experience dealing with anxiety in the same situations also had any ideas or things that have worked for them in the past? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Expertgamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
During anxiety talking to someone helps calm me down immensely- it doesn't even matter who or what. Make small talk with the hairdresser!
I know this is not really possible with the dentist, but what you could do is trying to look around you and analyze everything you see or hear on the radio.

As for the doctor... Well, my mind is easily relieved that if something happens there's a professional who can help me on the spot then. So I can't really offer advice there.

I have fear of driving alone too. It's super weird seeing that if someone would be sitting next to me I'd drive to the other side of the world for all I care...
What seems to be helping for me is turning to radio on and listen to a random talkshow. Could be anything, like politics, an interview with someone, etc... At any rate, it gives me subjects to think about, which helps taking my mind off the anxiety.
I'm also having a hands-free calling set installed in my car so I can call someone while driving. I'm planning to make a CD for in the car too, but instead of having calming music it would have happy 'feel-good' music.

Lastly, what also seems to help for me is tense my muscles all at once, and then relax them again. After a few times doing that I totally feel less tense. You can do this easily while sitting, lying down and driving!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: