Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: How are anxiety attacks for you?  (Read 123 times)

Offline LyssaLou

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How are anxiety attacks for you?
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »
I know anxiety is different for everyone. So what sets your anxiety off? What do you personally experience while having anxiety attack? Describe what your anxiety attacks are like. Symptoms, length, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pink Cat

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: How are anxiety attacks for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
I'm not sure if I have anxiety attacks; if an anxiety attack is similar to a panic attack maybe I would say I have really mild ones (not sure if I have panic attacks at all, but if I do they are mild).  If an anxiety attack is more like more of a flood of extra worry and fear... yeah I have those a lot.  That sort of mood/mindset lasts anywhere from an hour or so to all day then dies down.  I wig out and feel sort of like it's harder to breathe; not that I can't breathe, but I feel like I want to breathe faster to sort of catch my breathe.  I usually feel sick to my stomach and want to curl up in a ball and cry.  My hands shake some times.  Anything related to the things I'm afraid of can cause it: seeing something, hearing something, thinking about something, etc. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ECee

• Rec's: 0
  • Hello :)
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
I don't get anxiety or panic attacks frequently, the last one that I got was probably last summer.

Similar to Pink Cat, it's a mood/mindset that lasts for a certain amount of time and that it's a flood of extra worry and fear.  My symptoms usually include feeling dizzy and faint, and loss of appetite. I get a lot of stomach pains and it agitates my acidic stomach. I can't sleep or function very well, but I've learned to kind of muddle through it.

It's usually set off by bad news so I avoid watching the news, or anything that I'm already worried about that's brought up on TV, and the most trivial for me is probably how my anxiety's set off by bad news related to a favorite celebrity. Sometimes me remembering something or the end of a break or vacation will usually set it off pretty bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
My first attack was a year and a half ago en route to the hospital for shortness of breath. My heart started pounding as if it were going to explode out of my chest, my breathing became rapid, my hands got sweaty and my mind raced. I thought I was dying. I had that a couple of more times before I got treatment for anxiety (I had been going to a Cardiologist and a Gastroenterologist prior thinking they were the causes).

Things got better, but earlier this year my anxiety started taking a toll on me and I started to get anxiety about going anywhere besides home and work. To even go to the supermarket I had to pop a Xanax. It was crazy. I was a firefighter for 5 years, propelling out of windows, going into exhausting and heated environments, seeing trauma that would make someone else physically sick, and so on to... well, being to anxious to even go into a supermarket! I remember when I started getting chest pains again before I left for medical leave. It would come and go and I blamed it on reflux. My chest would tighten and I wouldn't be able to catch a breath easily.

My anxiety attacks now start out with a weird feeling of energy change. I can't really explain it, but I'll just feel like my energy is different and I feel out of it a bit, then the physical manifestations appear. My chest tightens, breathing will be a bit more difficult, I'll get dizzy and I'll clam up for the most part. I've gotten much better at maintaining a decent outward appearance during such attacks (Continuing in a social interaction, for example). I'll be able to talk to someone, but inside my head is utter chaos while outside I look fine. It actually sucks, but it's better than running out of a room I guess.

Durations vary depending on what I am doing. If I am stuck somewhere where I feel anxious, then it'll stay that way until I am out. I don't really get anxiety attacks at home... I guess that's my "safe area" where I am somewhat impervious to such attacks. I've had attacks last like hours because I was stuck in a certain place. Such as my daughter's last birthday party since her mother was there (She has caused me many issues and it manipulative. She also has *NO* custody and barely sees our daughter once a month, if that. She also contributes nothing, yet when our daughter was initially born and I was working part-time and going to college she demanded child support and used it to buy cigarettes and pay her cell phone bill while I and my parents paid for diapers, formula and other needs on top of it). I took a Xanax, but I felt like something was caught in my throat, which is a sympton I get at times as well (I also get a feeling where I cannot swallow correctly). I tried drinking a soda, eating a slice of pizza and even taking another Xanax, but nothing helped. I just felt more tired, but I still had all of the physical symptoms. It ruined what should've been a beautiful memory.

That was last February. Now it's June and things *HAVE* gotten better. I still get attacks, but not as often, and I can often deal with them much better for the most part. I mean, we all have bad days, but there are less bad days than before. I actually have gone out to eat again, I went back to my friends house and saw people I hadn't seen in awhile, I feel more comfortable interacting with people at work, and so on. It's still a work in progress, but at least progress is being made. I hope to oine day feel "normal" again.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: