Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Is it normal to have anger outbursts with anxiety?  (Read 207 times)

Offline DBarrier

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is it normal to have anger outbursts with anxiety?
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »
Hi! I was recently diagnosed with anxiety, and up until this point my most common symptoms have been overwhelming fear and sadness. However, in the past few months I have been dealing with what I call "anger outbursts." I can be having a really nice day, but then something small and seemingly insignificant will cause me to feel emotionally overwhelmed. I start to cry, argue with those I love, and I feel like hurting myself or throwing something. My sweet husband is so patient with me, and after a few minutes of trying to breathe I usually feel fine.
I'm confused about the sudden bouts of anger though. Is this common with anxiety, or is this something completely different? Like, I'm wondering if I should see an anger management person. I've never hit or harmed anyone, but I'm scared that I will (then again... that could just be my anxiety talking). I have, however, dealt with self-harm and in moments of intense anger I usually want to take out my feelings of guilt or frustration on myself. Sometimes I'm a little worried to be alone.
Anyone else deal with this? What has helped you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it normal to have anger outbursts with anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:54:28 AM »
It is possible. Anxiety can change the whole body at times. That can make hormones change too. Could be a possible answer. Leaving hormones aside, anger can still be an issue for some people. All that stress and the fact that the anxiety is stopping a person from living as they would like. They either bottle it up or let it out. Best to let it out. But explain yourself to your loved ones. So they know why it is happening.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline JustVon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
I find it's best to repeat out loud to myself why I am angry, then I hear how ridiculous it sounds and feel better. It's almost funny at times. My little sister kissed a guy in highschool who was older than me (I did not like this guy at all). I got so mad I hit myself with a belt. Why would she do that? Why would I do that?  It made me so mad. Now I say that to myself and I think about how crazy it sounds to get so mad over something like that. Think about "I want to throw a chair because the dog stepped on my foot", Or "My boyfriend didn't tell me he was eating and I feel left out so I'm going to be a bitch all day".....It's kind of funny. I don't know if it helps, but it helps me get a different perspective on it to hear myself say out loud why I'm so mad. Also, some antidepressants can cause fits of anger, I get pretty touchy some days and can't stand what I perceive to be "stupid people". There are stupid people everywhere and they only breed more stupid people. On those days just say to yourself "That is not my circus and those aren't my monkeys". 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Puravida

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
The issue of 'anger outburst' is an extremely common occurrence with my anxiety. The simplest of things annoy and aggravate me, most of the time there is no reason to get angry and it is very irrational. My fiancÚ has to cops this a lot from me, things like him walking to close to me or hugging me when I don't feel like it causes me to say very nasty and insulting things to him. Within a couple of minutes I feel extreme guilt and make myself feel so down and angry. It sometimes gets to a point where in throw things as hard as I can at a wall or I really want to just hit myself. It then leads to a lot of tears and feelings of hopelessness. We are currently on holiday, we are supposed to feel relaxed and happy, although this still happens every couple of days. It's a horrible feeling but sometimes it relieves my anxiety. All very confusing.

I know exactly how you feel. This is just one of the many issues of my constant anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
 Yes. That happens to me sometimes, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »
Anxiety and depression are related.   You could be going thru an episode where little things set you off.  Depression is often called "rage turned inward", and sometimes I feel rage for very small reasons.  Good bless our loved ones for dealing with us when we become monsters for no reason.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: